2019 4.10 (112) Washington Redskins select RB Bryce Love, Stanford

Woz

This pick gave me the worst feeling at the time. I've calmed down a bit, but I still think he's a bad selection.  I just don't understand  gambling on a player with injury history. It rarely works out and the chances they will be the player they used to be are slim.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, taylor made said:

This pick gave me the worst feeling at the time. I've calmed down a bit, but I still think he's a bad selection.  I just don't understand  gambling on a player with injury history. It rarely works out and the chances they will be the player they used to be are slim.

This isn't like it's microfracture surgery, it's an ACL.  Some players have had both replaced and gone on to have fine careers.  ACLs are on par with Tommy John surgery in MLB, just about all of the players come back and pick up where they left off, if they don't improve from it.  

EDIT: I also don't see you hating on Montez Sweat for his injury concerns.  Some teams had him off their board entirely due to his heart condition.  

Edited by naptownskinsfan
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This isn't like it's microfracture surgery, it's an ACL.  Some players have had both replaced and gone on to have fine careers.  ACLs are on par with Tommy John surgery in MLB, just about all of the players come back and pick up where they left off, if they don't improve from it.  

EDIT: I also don't see you hating on Montez Sweat for his injury concerns.  Some teams had him off their board entirely due to his heart condition.  

Bryce Love also was dealing with a nagging ankle issue all year that led to his declining Senior Year as well so it's just more than the ACL tear. It's a trend.

From what I've read on the heart condition with Sweat is that it was overstated and I feel like that is different than a re-occurring injury

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Bryce Love also was dealing with a nagging ankle issue all year that led to his declining Senior Year as well so it's just more than the ACL tear. It's a trend.

From what I've read on the heart condition with Sweat is that it was overstated and I feel like that is different than a re-occurring injury

Might want to tell others that, they think that Love isn't injury prone and will replace CT this year.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, turtle28 said:

Can he catch like Thompson? Also, he's rehabbing from an ACL tear, that actually sounds more like a Thompson type player than an upgrade over him. 

A lot of people forget that Thompson didn't start out as a great pass catcher and route runner.  They had about the same number of balls thrown to them in college.  But Love is likely further along as a route runner than Thompson was coming out.  Remember Love sat behind Christian McCaffrey and likely would have had more experience catching balls if he wasn't sharing reps.  But the bonus here is Love got to learn from McCaffrey who came out of college as one of the best route running running backs ever.

Now Love vs Thompson as a running back is no contest.  Love is at a different level.  

IMO every time Thompson goes down injured or is even just nicked and not at full speed, Gruden struggles to adjust his offense to not having him in there.  This is such a huge pick because of that reason. 

I predict that next year, we will resign Thompson as Love's backup as 3rd down back.

They took him despite the injury history because when he’s healthy, he’s awesome. 

In his 2017 season, he put up 2118 rushing yards. That’s the 5th highest rushing total in a power conference since 2000. Among the top 30 FBS season rushing totals in that span, he was the only one to do it with less than 270 carries (263). That is a remarkable combination of volume, efficiency, and explosiveness.

He has breakaway speed, very good change of direction, and remarkable balance. He was a flat-out superstar in 2017, which is why he ended up 2nd in the Heisman and was a consensus top 20-25 pick coming into 2018. 

He definitely had an injury plagued senior season, but the reward is worth the risk. He has game-changing speed and ability. And it does seem a little odd to say that he can’t replace CT because he’s injury prone — that would kinda make him perfect for the job of replacing CT, who I love but has to be one of the most injury prone players in football history. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

They took him despite the injury history because when he’s healthy, he’s awesome. 

In his 2017 season, he put up 2118 rushing yards. That’s the 5th highest rushing total in a power conference since 2000. Among the top 30 FBS season rushing totals in that span, he was the only one to do it with less than 270 carries (263). That is a remarkable combination of volume, efficiency, and explosiveness.

He has breakaway speed, very good change of direction, and remarkable balance. He was a flat-out superstar in 2017, which is why he ended up 2nd in the Heisman and was a consensus top 20-25 pick coming into 2018. 

He definitely had an injury plagued senior season, but the reward is worth the risk. He has game-changing speed and ability. And it does seem a little odd to say that he can’t replace CT because he’s injury prone — that would kinda make him perfect for the job of replacing CT, who I love but has to be one of the most injury prone players in football history. 

But--that's the thing . He really caught few passes from the backfield I think I've read. Can he do it ?

19 hours ago, offbyone said:

A lot of people forget that Thompson didn't start out as a great pass catcher and route runner.  They had about the same number of balls thrown to them in college.  But Love is likely further along as a route runner than Thompson was coming out.  Remember Love sat behind Christian McCaffrey and likely would have had more experience catching balls if he wasn't sharing reps.  But the bonus here is Love got to learn from McCaffrey who came out of college as one of the best route running running backs ever.

Now Love vs Thompson as a running back is no contest.  Love is at a different level.  

IMO every time Thompson goes down injured or is even just nicked and not at full speed, Gruden struggles to adjust his offense to not having him in there.  This is such a huge pick because of that reason. 

I predict that next year, we will resign Thompson as Love's backup as 3rd down back.

I think CT would get signed somewhere else before being a back here, which is most likely what will happen. Someone will offer CT more money than back up money.

I don't mind if Love ends up replacing CT - someone has to eventually - I guess I just don't see it being this year bc I haven't seen Love catch the ball much in college, but then again that could be bc of the way Stanford runs their offense.

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

Actually, I said I didn't see him replacing CT this year bc he just tore his ACL in December. In fact, I'm not even sure if he plays for us at all this year bc he tore his ACL so late in the season. That was my original point to Mike23’s post where he saw Love coming in and replacing CT right away.

Then a few posts later that point developed into whether Love was injury prone or not too. It wasn't that he couldn't eventually replace CT or that he couldn't replace him bc he's injury prone - obviously CT is too - of course Love could eventually replace CT as our 3rd down back and change of pace back, I just don't think it happens this year.

I think the case can be made that Love’s size that he will run into the same issues CT has trying to stay healthy. I hope that’s wrong, but that's my hunch.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 12:56 PM, turtle28 said:

I think CT would get signed somewhere else before being a back here, which is most likely what will happen. Someone will offer CT more money than back up money.

I don't mind if Love ends up replacing CT - someone has to eventually - I guess I just don't see it being this year bc I haven't seen Love catch the ball much in college, but then again that could be bc of the way Stanford runs their offense.

I think you are right about this year.  At best he starts playing mid season and losing training camp is going to set him back in terms of his route running.  

But food for thought....Chris Thompson was hurt his entire rookie year and just about his entire second year.  

• Like 1