so what would you grade the draft? (Poll added above OP!)

3rivers

Grade The 2019 Draft  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade Would You Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F.... IRE TOMLIN AND COLBERT NOW

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2020 at 05:00 AM

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

As a prospect, or as the best...the #1 WR in the NFL, and er go, one of the most confident WRs in the league?

I am not saying you are wrong... I am legitimately asking which Antonio Brown you are comparing, because if it's the latter, than yeah, sure... several years in an NFL Strength and Conditioning program, coupled with the his league standing, I would certainly hope he looked like he had more burst, explosion, and quickness.

And I am not so sure that Washington is a dud...

16rec 167yds 10.4ypc 26yds long 0 tds

16rec 217yds 13.6ypc 47yds long 1 tds

The top is AB's first year with Wallace as the #1, the 2nd is Washington with AB as the #1...and I, there was this other Juju dude in the offense, as well. 😎

I know what you are saying though...it seemed as if the reports coming out about Washington we're not kind, but remember... Washington accumulated 129 yds in two of the final 3 games if the season...the final game accumulating 64 yes in AB's absence.

Well I'm basing it off him looking very pedestrian as a rookie, and not liking what I saw when I tuned into OK State games to scout Rudolph.  I liked Rudolph a heck of a lot more than Washington.  I have big reservations about both.  I thought Washington was a big reach and a bad pick last year.  He did nothing to change my mind, but I hope he comes around and proves me wrong.

Well, truth be told, my memory of Brown as a rookie is pretty fuzzy, but it seems like he was more explosive than Johnson even back then.  I just hope Johnson isn't a tool like Brown turned into.  I saw him morphing into a tool more and more each of the last 3+ seasons.  I thought he was a great, stand up guy until his antics started overshadowing his talent.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

It's funny, because I watched the video the talked about the best draft this year and one of the talking heads picked New England because...his main reason? They didn't pick any small school players. They only chose big conference players.

So I guess that means our draft really really stinks... I mean...the best WR ever played played for Alabama, right? 'Sweetness' played for LSU, and quite possibly, the best DB if all time...Mel Blount played for Georgia, I think.

...do people really think before they speak ??? What an idiot. It's not even that I don't think that they had a great draft...they did...but don't tell us it was because they picked all big school players... that's idiotic...

... sorry, rant over...😎

Steel Curtain DL from the 70's were entirely from lesser known schools.  It's more about what the players do when get to the pros.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

You know the more I think about the selection of Zach Gentry the more I hate it. I could actually see this guy not even making the roster. I'm not real sure why we drafted him in the 5th Road because I'm pretty sure had we not drafted him no one else would have either

I think he makes the roster, but that isn't because he's good. I think we just have nobody else to make it. I agree that he's bad. He's my least favorite pick.

I would give it a B post draft. 

I really like what they did to go get Bush. Not because I liked Bush (check my post history) or because I wanted to trade up for Bush (also, check my post history), but because I really like a team that goes out and gets their guy. If he was really rated that highly for them and they saw him slipping, I commend them for making the move to go up and get him. The trade value was very good, considering we very reasonably replaced what we gave up and only traded one mid-round pick this year. My opinion of Bush started to change closer to the draft as a lot of people i trust on twitter and in podcasts were singing his praises. We will see, but I give them an A for going to get their guy at such a gigantic position of need. They could go 1-9, but if he hits in a big way its very worth it. 

Rounds 1-4 are really all I care about and I thought we did a good job. Competition in the CB room with a guy with upside/build, am highly productive 3rd RB, and another guy they were high on at Receiver. I didnt like the receiver pick, personally. I think its more of the same, but they do have their track record and he could be an immediate hit on STs where Ryan Switzer meh'd his way through last year. 

Rounds 5+....felt a lot like drafting in Madden, when you have everyone scouted and there is no one with a 5th round grade available in the 5th, so you just take the fully scouted 6th rounder you know is going to grade well. Just seemed like they were roster filling with specifics. Im thinking they like Grimble enough where they actually were not looking for a TE to replace him/JJ, but rather a third guy who can be different than Grimble. The LBers look like nothing more than special teamers, and thats fine, but would probably have preferred flyers on higher upside guys.

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I honestly don't get the hate on the Gentry pick.  He's only been a TE for 3 years.

I dont hate the Gentry pick, but I dont think there is really a lot to love immediately. His measurable are scary bad, doesn't seem to have natural hands, big but weak, etc. I like the upside potential if he develops, but honestly I am not sure what there is to like upon first glance outside of size. I personally believe he is a worthwhile grab though. 

Just an overreaction note: But if I was a coach with this 6'8 dude, Id tell him I cut him if he ever catches with his chest again. Watching him go down the seam and basket catch over a guy about a foot smaller than him? *shivers*

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont hate the Gentry pick, but I dont think there is really a lot to love immediately. His measurable are scary bad, doesn't seem to have natural hands, big but weak, etc. I like the upside potential if he develops, but honestly I am not sure what there is to like upon first glance outside of size. I personally believe he is a worthwhile grab though. 

Just an overreaction note: But if I was a coach with this 6'8 dude, Id tell him I cut him if he ever catches with his chest again. Watching him go down the seam and basket catch over a guy about a foot smaller than him? *shivers*

He's what, a 4th round pick?  You are picking upside at that point.  And like I said, coming in as a QB and converting to TE means he's still learning a lot about the position that he didn't know and didn't work on a ton.  Like the chest catching, route running, and blocking.

Just now, warfelg said:

He's what, a 4th round pick?  You are picking upside at that point.  And like I said, coming in as a QB and converting to TE means he's still learning a lot about the position that he didn't know and didn't work on a ton.  Like the chest catching, route running, and blocking.

The only thing that worries me with that line of thinking is that the NFL is not a developmental league. Gentry is going to have to be learning these things while on an NFL roster. If we still had James, I'd worry a lot less about this pick. Now we're reliant on Grimble as our #2. Idk, honestly Grimble might have a pretty good season. He's got all the talent in the world, he just needs to put it together. He'll definitely have to redeem himself from that stupid TD/Fumble. The FO may have a lot more faith in him than us reactionary fans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sure....so the hope is that he BECOMES something. What is he now though? You're asking why people hate the pick, I mean....its an easy answer. At THIS POINT....there isn't much but a hope and a dream to get excited for. 

I get thats the lower end of the draft in general..but, he tested awful athletically, has 0 production to point to, is caught between being a flex tight end with poor hands/limited athleticism and being an in-line with poor strength and poor blocking ability. 

And three years is a relatively long time to learn intricacies of a position and having a QB background he probably had decent mental understanding of what to do. Three years is at least long enough to develop something to really hang your hat on at the position and say you do it well. His strength is poor and you cant just train to get natural hands, you either have them or you don't. You cant really train to have a mentality to attack the football either. There is just nothing that sticks out about him that you hang your hat on and say thats where we start and build. He is pretty much a full on build to become an NFL player and like @MOSteelers56 said, he has to do that on the NFL roster. Thats a lot of catch up to play. 

Like I said, I dont mind the pick because its a crap shoot after 3/4. But If someone says they hate this pick, I completely get it -- and Im only watching his "highlights". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Sure....so the hope is that he BECOMES something. What is he now though? You're asking why people hate the pick, I mean....its an easy answer. At THIS POINT....there isn't much but a hope and a dream to get excited for. 

I get thats the lower end of the draft in general..but, he tested awful athletically, has 0 production to point to, is caught between being a flex tight end with poor hands/limited athleticism and being an in-line with poor strength and poor blocking ability. 

And three years is a relatively long time to learn intricacies of a position and having a QB background he probably had decent mental understanding of what to do. Three years is at least long enough to develop something to really hang your hat on at the position and say you do it well. His strength is poor and you cant just train to get natural hands, you either have them or you don't. You cant really train to have a mentality to attack the football either. There is just nothing that sticks out about him that you hang your hat on and say thats where we start and build. He is pretty much a full on build to become an NFL player and like @MOSteelers56 said, he has to do that on the NFL roster. Thats a lot of catch up to play. 

Like I said, I dont mind the pick because its a crap shoot after 3/4. But If someone says they hate this pick, I completely get it -- and Im only watching his "highlights". 

And that's cool and all, but that's what you are starting to get in the 4th round.  Flawed guys that are either developmental or limited.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

And that's cool and all, but that's what you are starting to get in the 4th round.  Flawed guys that are either developmental or limited.

But look at all the guys in the 6th -- highly productive either from small schools or with a physical flaw that pushes them down. Gentry has no production, a question build for success at the position, no athletic ability, and no play strength.

You usually get flawed guys who either have high athletic qualities or great production with question marks. Gentry is just a flat out question mark.