Evaluating the AFC North Drafts

NateDawg

Best Draft?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Best Draft?

2. 2. Worst Draft

Man, you guys are bigger Michigan fans than Tayne thought. A 5'11" (albeit talented) MLB at pick 10 after trading 10 slots up and surrendering a mid-2nd & 2020 3rd (note: that pick will likely be a mid-third), not sure how Pittsburgh is being announced as doing so great. If not for the rest of their picks such as Diontae Johnson, it could be argued that they had the worst draft. Well, that was clearly Baltimore for all those receivers, but still.

Since we aren't counting Beckham (but we all know we actually are), we gotta then look at the position of picks. We didn't have a 1st rounder. And our 2nd was not until 49. That's big.

We ended up with Greedy Williams, Mack Wilson, a guy the front office loves (Mitt) and a serious sleeper on the offensive line. We got a good kicker with the 32nd pick of the 5th--very reasonable value, as a printer went in the 4th and a Gay kicker in the 5th--and a high upside safety. That's a killer draft for having nothing before pick 49 and trading away no players or future picks. This draft was legendary just like last year. Just watch.

Edited by NudeTayne
*🖨️
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Man, you guys are bigger Michigan fans than Tayne thought. A 5'11" (albeit talented) MLB at pick 10 after trading 10 slots up and surrendering a mid-2nd & 2020 3rd (note: that pick will likely be a mid-third), not sure how Pittsburgh is being announced as doing so great. If not for the rest of their picks such as Diontae Johnson, it could be argued that they had the worst draft. Well, that was clearly Baltimore for all those receivers, but still.

Since we aren't counting Beckham (but we all know we actually are), we gotta then look at the position of picks. We didn't have a 1st rounder. And our 2nd was not until 49. That's big.

We ended up with Greedy Williams, Mack Wilson, a guy the front office loves (Mitt) and a serious sleeper on the offensive line. We got a good kicker with the 32nd pick of the 5th--very reasonable value, as a printer went in the 4th and a Gay kicker in the 5th--and a high upside safety. That's a killer draft for having nothing before pick 49 and trading away no players or future picks. This draft was legendary just like last year. Just watch.

Considering the kicker lost us two games last year that could be a huge upside pick in the 5th round

Wilson has as much upside to him as his two much more heralded picks in front of him

besides  different styles of management get different things out of there players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Damn. I mean, my printer sucks and works about 50% of the time, but I would think NFL teams wouldn't have to spend draft capital to acquire one.

*signs BTC's printer to an NFL futures contract*

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Anybody think it weird that we spent a good deal of time with Ulysees Gilbert and Iman Marshall and they both wind up in division? 

So mad this kid got drafted by the Steelers - 

He is from my home town/ which Mike Tomlin’s brother still lives in so already way too many Steelers fans for a city in Central Florida to ever have!! This kid does have a great work ethic too, he and his younger brother where zoned for the school I coached at for 10 years( played at a local private catholic school) , they both have love the game of football. His younger brother I used to work out during the summers of high school years and even while in college. Call me bias but I will not be surprised if he ends up on the roster as a special teams guy and finds his way into a starting way in the future.- - his brother is a hell of a lineman prospect.

5 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif 

• Like 2

I think the Steelers had a slightly better draft than you and Baltimore. 

If I was to rank the drafts, I'd say:
Pittsburgh 7.25
Cleveland 7.0
Baltimore 7.O
Bengalols 5

I think all of the top three drafts in the North were solid. Not great, not terrible. The Bengals didn't do well, though. I like Jonah Williams, but that's pretty much it.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Pittsburgh 7.25
Cleveland 7.0
Baltimore 7.O
Bengalols 5

I think all of the top three drafts in the North were solid. Not great, not terrible. The Bengals didn't do well, though. I like Jonah Williams, but that's pretty much it.

It depends on what you mean by draft. Do you include traded for assets? For example, we drafted OBJ with the 17 overall pick and traded an additional late 3rd to obtain him, but that's not showing up on the draft. I'd look at it like this:

17 and 3rd: OBJ

#46: Greedy Williams

#80: LB BYU

4th: Redwine

5th: Mack Wilson

etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

It depends on what you mean by draft. Do you include traded for assets? For example, we drafted OBJ with the 17 overall pick and traded an additional late 3rd to obtain him, but that's not showing up on the draft. I'd look at it like this:

17 and 3rd: OBJ

#46: Greedy Williams

#80: LB BYU

4th: Redwine

5th: Mack Wilson

etc.

I was just talking about the picks themselves. I mean, yeah no crap, if you drafted one of the top 3 WRs with the 17th pick then you'd be ahead of everyone. I was just talking about the actual draft selections.

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Pittsburgh 7.25
Cleveland 7.0
Baltimore 7.O
Bengalols 5

This is pretty close to where I’m at.

Picks alone I think Pittsburgh would be closer to an 8 on the scale you used, I like what they did for the most part.