2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Watched some of him last night.  He has some nice pass rushing moves, and while he gets good push in the run game and doesn't lose ground, most of the time he gets caught up fighting with the linemen and completely loses track of where the ball carrier is.  I saw quite a few reps where the play was going one way and he just kept on fighting up field on the complete opposite side of the play.

I saw that too against Baylor. I really don't like him at all. So he can rush the passer, good, so can a bunch of other dudes. We need run stuffers...

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Kenneth Murray does not look like a first rounder to me. Elite closing speed, everything else I just don't see. Honestly, would be shocked if he were our guy, 

Agreed. He too is crap in the run game and his Football IQ isn't all too high. It's his athleticism that oggles scouts and stuff...

• Like 1

Kirwan and Miller were on Sirius XM talking about Zack Baun.

I read the little blurbs that AlexGreen put out there about him.  And Kirwan and Miller loved him.  Kirwan thought he could play all 3 linebacker positions.  Miller's only doubt about him was setting the edge as an edge defender.  Both loved him at the Senior Bowl, but agreed that he wasn't a first round player.  both agreed that he also wasn't a 4'th rounder.  Both want to see him in New England because of his versatility and his football awareness.  Both loved his athletic traits, said he won't look like Superman, but will be a very good player.  Both thought he was a 4.7 guy whose football awareness was going to make him faster than most at his position.  His feet, eyes and mind take him to the play faster than most.  Was a QB in high school, ran and passed for a lot of yards and TD's.  Is a leader.  Really knows football and loves it.

I don't know if he is a fit.  I haven't watched his film, just trying to paraphrase what I heard from two pretty good guys on Sirius XM.

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

I saw that too against Baylor. I really don't like him at all. So he can rush the passer, good, so can a bunch of other dudes. We need run stuffers...

Agreed. He too is crap in the run game and his Football IQ isn't all too high. It's his athleticism that oggles scouts and stuff...

Yup, I thought the same thing. 

• Like 1

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. was recently diagnosed with Osteitis Pubis which is an inflammation of the pubic symphysis (i.e. pubic bone) and the muscles that attach here - including the core musculature and groin muscles It's essentially an overuse injury, leading to groin pain.

What is the treatment? The best treatment for this is rest and avoiding what led to the injury - running, jumping, cutting, heavy strength training, core strengthening, etc. The most important part is avoiding aggravating factors - failing to do so will prevent healing

How long is recovery? The answer to this question depends on severity. In minor cases, recovery typically takes 1-4 weeks. The issue with Shenault, is that if he attempts to perform at the NFL Combine, there's a chance he aggravates his injury, making the recovery much longer.

9 hours ago, Leader said:

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. was recently diagnosed with Osteitis Pubis which is an inflammation of the pubic symphysis (i.e. pubic bone) and the muscles that attach here - including the core musculature and groin muscles It's essentially an overuse injury, leading to groin pain.

What is the treatment? The best treatment for this is rest and avoiding what led to the injury - running, jumping, cutting, heavy strength training, core strengthening, etc. The most important part is avoiding aggravating factors - failing to do so will prevent healing

How long is recovery? The answer to this question depends on severity. In minor cases, recovery typically takes 1-4 weeks. The issue with Shenault, is that if he attempts to perform at the NFL Combine, there's a chance he aggravates his injury, making the recovery much longer.

Sure would be nice if he had a HC who was intimately familiar with the NFL and the way team's evaluate this kind of thing.

Oh right, the NCAA is a cartel and Mel Tucker is a scumbag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sure would be nice if he had a HC who was intimately familiar with the NFL and the way team's evaluate this kind of thing.

Oh right, the NCAA is a cartel and Mel Tucker is a scumbag. 

By this point these kids have almost no ties to their colleges anymore. They pretty much live on these NFL prep campuses their agents get them into with trainers, chefs, etc.. Every aspect of every day is plotted out for them.

Though I do agree with you on the NCAA and Tucker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

By this point these kids have almost no ties to their colleges anymore. They pretty much live on these NFL prep campuses their agents get them into with trainers, chefs, etc.. Every aspect of every day is plotted out for them.

Though I do agree with you on the NCAA and Tucker.

This is why I think the AAF should've been a U-21 league like they have in hockey.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is why I think the AAF should've been a U-21 league like they have in hockey.

I don't think any good players need additional exposure over what college gives them, and too many people are making money off the NCAA for that to go away. Those development leagues would be full of late round UDFA types. Though I would like to see a spring league where Tim Boyle was out there at starting QB and Dex was a starting RB, etc .. If each of these XFL teams was made up of 12-15 players per team in a division, I think ratings would go way up.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I don't think any good players need additional exposure over what college gives them, and too many people are making money off the NCAA for that to go away. Those development leagues would be full of late round UDFA types. Though I would like to see a spring league where Tim Boyle was out there at starting QB and Dex was a starting RB, etc .. If each of these XFL teams was made up of 12-15 players per team in a division, I think ratings would go way up.

I should rephrase:

This is why I think the AAF should've been a U-21 league as an alternative option to the NCAA for players.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If each of these XFL teams was made up of 12-15 players per team in a division, I think ratings would go way up.

Thats not a bad idea from a minor league / training perspective....but do you think the NFL is actually interested in "marrying up" with (potential) comp for $$$'s? In a kinda/sorta way, college now serves that minor league function no (?) and NFL Europe was a long way's off and a less immediate threat.

PFF's Mike Renner ranks positional strength of 2020 draft

DanMetroMan : 2/12/2020 1:31 pm
Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
·
1h
How I'd rank the relative strength of each position group in the 2020 draft class:

1. WR
2. OT
3. CB
4. DT
5. QB
6. RB
7. IOL
8. LB
9. Edge
10. S
11. TE

I'd have been tempted to put RB a little higher and DT a little lower, myself. I might have pushed ILB up 1-2 spots, not for the top end talent, but for the 3rd/4th/even 5th round depth. CB looks pretty high, but i haven't looked at corners much, so maybe it is accurate.
Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

PFF's Mike Renner ranks positional strength of 2020 draft

DanMetroMan : 2/12/2020 1:31 pm
Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
·
1h
How I'd rank the relative strength of each position group in the 2020 draft class:

1. WR
2. OT
3. CB
4. DT
5. QB
6. RB
7. IOL
8. LB
9. Edge
10. S
11. TE

I'd have been tempted to put RB a little higher and DT a little lower, myself. I might have pushed ILB up 1-2 spots, not for the top end talent, but for the 3rd/4th/even 5th round depth. CB looks pretty high, but i haven't looked at corners much, so maybe it is accurate.

Exactly my thoughts when looking over the rankings.

• Like 1