Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

20 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Idk what the argument is really but yall its ok, Garcia is 23, went through a horrific car accident and is just starting his career as a full time pro wrestler. He's already bigger now than when he debuted. 

This has largely been the point I've been trying to make.  I've been aware of Garcia since he was 21, when he worked a show in Maine that my friend was managing the opposition.  He's got talent and a ton of potential, that he'll likely realize... but the fact remains, he's young, still coming back from that car accident, and needs time in the gym to fill out before he should be in serious spots at or beyond the upper-mid-card unless it's as an also-ran tag partner to established upper-carders (which for right now, I suppose Jericho constitutes, but I've made my feelings on him known).  He's where Waltman was at that age, he doesn't need to be in the main event or booked like a badass (I said the same thing about Jungle Boy when he got his initial push - Darby is the lone exception because his diminutive size is part of his gimmick and adds to the austere of his devil-may-care style).

Heel Balor is a good thing.  Will they give him the free rein with the alignment/gimmick that he ought to be given, I doubt it, but it can still work - and frankly, I think it would make a lot more sense now to bring Ciampa into the group, as opposed to when Edge was the leader.  For one, and rather amusingly, Finn needs someone to make him look tall and Ciampa achieves that.  For another, it saves Ciampa from wallowing in "We don't know what to do with him so, 'Just have him hit'n'run guys with no explanation till we figure something out and/or decide to cut him."

If this finally gets us an AJ/Finn program of any length, thank you Jobu!  And Edge can (hopefully, though likely only until Vince or Bruce get another wild hair up their butts) go back to being a top babyface on RAW (will be needed with Cody out for injury).  Will he have to go in the conciliatory, "I effed up" manner to the fans initially?  Absolutely.  But, honestly, he could be rehabbed as a babyface via one or two long promos with Riddle (which you can't honestly tell me people wouldn't get nostalgic over if we got allusions to classic Los Conquistadors/E&C content from Edge and Riddle; not to mention Edge has enough Teflon-coating with Vince to get away with a remark like, "Didn't you use to have a first name?").

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

And Edge can (hopefully, though likely only until Vince or Bruce get another wild hair up their butts) go back to being a top babyface on RAW (will be needed with Cody out for injury).

I think Finn takeover was the plan but I think Cody's injury sped things up. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Probably.  But the way things were going for JD with Edge at the helm, I'm not sure it would have lasted or been running on anything but faint vapors by the time they decided to pull the trigger on Finn taking over the faction.  Edge wasn't helping either of the young talent with his promos, which - if we're being honest - were less poetic Wyatt promos where it seemed like Edge finally discovered this thing called a thesaurus.  Just the presentation of the group, sans Edge sans ominous purple light at the close of RAW after Rhea won the title shot was an improved look.

I don't doubt eventually that Finn will be sacrificed to Priest, because ultimately that is who Vince is trying to get to thrust himself into main event status, but that also won't be until 9 months or more from now if this goes over well.  And who knows, if the 9 months goes well, maybe (not likely, but maybe) Finn changes Vince's mind on him.  It's still better than the miring in mediocre stuff Finn has had since they brought him back up from NXT (honestly, even including the mini-push of taking the US title off of Priest... only to turn around and transition it to Don't-Call-Me-Austin).

6 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Probably.  But the way things were going for JD with Edge at the helm, I'm not sure it would have lasted or been running on anything but faint vapors by the time they decided to pull the trigger on Finn taking over the faction.  Edge wasn't helping either of the young talent with his promos, which - if we're being honest - were less poetic Wyatt promos where it seemed like Edge finally discovered this thing called a thesaurus.  Just the presentation of the group, sans Edge sans ominous purple light at the close of RAW after Rhea won the title shot was an improved look.

I don't doubt eventually that Finn will be sacrificed to Priest, because ultimately that is who Vince is trying to get to thrust himself into main event status, but that also won't be until 9 months or more from now if this goes over well.  And who knows, if the 9 months goes well, maybe (not likely, but maybe) Finn changes Vince's mind on him.  It's still better than the miring in mediocre stuff Finn has had since they brought him back up from NXT (honestly, even including the mini-push of taking the US title off of Priest... only to turn around and transition it to Don't-Call-Me-Austin).

Roman throws such a wrench into this. If there wasn't an undisputed champion I would say give Finn a faction pushed title reign and then have Priest turn on him for the mega push with a slow burn title shot/win. That being said, Cody vs Finn with a faction behind him sounds like a great program if Cody is still the guy to take the undisputed belt off of Roman. However, does the injury make the timing wrong? Maybe Cena coming back suddenly is their solution. Rebuild him quickly to take the title off of Reigns, give Roman a break. Do the Finn stuff with Cena, give Priest his 3 month run taking the titles off of Finn, have him loss to Reigns at the Rumble - Reigns cuts a promo that he's back and no one is going to stop him this time. Cody returns and they do the Taker/Hunter wordless WM promo. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Roman throws such a wrench into this. If there wasn't an undisputed champion I would say give Finn a faction pushed title reign and then have Priest turn on him for the mega push with a slow burn title shot/win. That being said, Cody vs Finn with a faction behind him sounds like a great program if Cody is still the guy to take the undisputed belt off of Roman. However, does the injury make the timing wrong? Maybe Cena coming back suddenly is their solution. Rebuild him quickly to take the title off of Reigns, give Roman a break. Do the Finn stuff with Cena, give Priest his 3 month run taking the titles off of Finn, have him loss to Reigns at the Rumble - Reigns cuts a promo that he's back and no one is going to stop him this time. Cody returns and they do the Taker/Hunter wordless WM promo. 

oh man I do not follow WWE well but I do know that Roman is having a hell of a run and if it's Cena to end it, I'd call that a misstep 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

i read just now that it was planned for balor to join the group but kicking edge out was a planned the past few days cause wwe wanted a "supernatural" group and edge was against the idea.

Edited by Texansfan713

On 6/8/2022 at 2:15 AM, Deadpulse said:

I would not have Cena end Roman's 650 day reign (and break Flair's record). The person who beats Roman will be made. Give it to Cody or someone else being built up.

On 6/8/2022 at 12:15 AM, Deadpulse said:

My feeling is that while they will (and should) leave the tag belts unified, it probably won't be too long until Roman drops one of the world titles (the visual of having both belts in good, but I'd be extremely surprised if USA/Comcast is cool with going into the fall and up against MNF with no main title on its show).  I'm conflicted, because RAW has actually been better since not having a world title (or even the tag titles) on it, but that's also because the belts are props to Vince.

Bruce is... well... not creative - in that he absolutely will rehash new takes on old storylines, practically beat-for-beat, under the excuse of "well it worked before..."  So if Judgement Day is given legs, my guess is we're going to see a breakdown of Evolution/HHH vs Batista type program, with Priest in the Dave role.  This should also give Priest some time and tenure to develop more layers as a heel character (he's still effectively playing Punishment Martinez with a different name and some whack script).  Roman's probably got, after the impending return, 1 more lengthy heel run in him before both Vince, and his own limiting availability, are likely going to force the bit (crowd's kind of partway there anyway) into having him as a semi-recurring face (I specifically leave out "babyface" because I feel like if/when Roman goes over Rock as a heel, and eventually flips alignments somewhere in the aftermath, the torch will pass and Roman will end up working as a Rock-adjacent type face (cheered, but still edgy and not white meat).

But two things are needed before that is viable: Someone else capable of being a face-of-the-company type draw (preferably as a babyface, but also can work as a believable badass a la what Roman has been) and that may be Cody, it may be Riddle (he needs a first name and depth of personality if that's going to happen though), it may be BreakSteiner, it may be Gable Steveson.  The other thing that's needed is a viable, believable heel to work him against.  Priest can definitely be that.  But, barring someone like a Max with a heater (working a twist on the Shawn and Diesel/Sid gimmick), the draw for a face-leaning Roman is against bruisers that could conceivably rough him up, and that ain't the likes of Olmos, and probably isn't going to be the likes of Ridge (because Roman in a Rock-adjacent snark role would eviscerate Ridge's credibility in terms of promo-to-promo).

59 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I don't like AEW having so many belts. Now they're adding another singles belt. The ROH/FTW/Owen Hart belts are just too much. 

If they want this Atlantic Belt to mean anything they need to give less or no TV time to out of promotion titles or unofficial titles. The Owen is supposedly just a trophy, so have the Cole's leave them at home. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If they want this Atlantic Belt to mean anything they need to give less or no TV time to out of promotion titles or unofficial titles. The Owen is supposedly just a trophy, so have the Cole's leave them at home. 

Yeah agreed but it just looks less meaningful when there's a different belt every segment.