Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

Granted they have had to navigate around a bunch of injuries, but Im not sure there was a single "good" build to Forbidden Door. 

Obviously Hindsight is 20/20 but did no one hit pause in any of these creative meetings and ask what the heck was going on?

I dont remember which Podcast/Show I heard it on, but the idea that they should have just posted the matchups for FD, treating them like dream matchups, and spent the time introducing everyone to who these NJPW Stars are, instead of shoehorning in these storylines that dont make much sense, would have been a better route to take. Then if you do get a few weeks of the NJPW guys, maybe build a few storylines after the PPV, lay the groundwork for next years event.

Dont know if it would have been great, but it likely wouldnt have been this messy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Granted they have had to navigate around a bunch of injuries, but Im not sure there was a single "good" build to Forbidden Door. 

Obviously Hindsight is 20/20 but did no one hit pause in any of these creative meetings and ask what the heck was going on?

I dont remember which Podcast/Show I heard it on, but the idea that they should have just posted the matchups for FD, treating them like dream matchups, and spent the time introducing everyone to who these NJPW Stars are, instead of shoehorning in these storylines that dont make much sense, would have been a better route to take. Then if you do get a few weeks of the NJPW guys, maybe build a few storylines after the PPV, lay the groundwork for next years event.

Dont know if it would have been great, but it likely wouldnt have been this messy

There is exactly one "dream match" on the card and it's the Main Event. Nothing else is remotely close, and tbh it isn't much of a dream match either. Tanahashi is past his prime. Mox is at his best right now but this should've been like the third biggest match on the card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

There is exactly one "dream match" on the card and it's the Main Event. Nothing else is remotely close, and tbh it isn't much of a dream match either. Tanahashi is past his prime. Mox is at his best right now but this should've been like the third biggest match on the card.

While I completely agree, I would say that even with the more “diehard” audience of AEW, the majority (and maybe overwhelmingly so) are not completely versed in NJPW, atleast not enough to make that determination.

They could have built some of these up as a huge deal, granted they should have made some different matches, even after the injuries. But what they did was obviously not up to snuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Mox is at his best right now but this should've been like the third biggest match on the card.

Obviously we dont know all the behind the scenes machinations, but curious, what is the match (or matches) that you felt really should have been on this Card?

6 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

They botched last night. The card is weak, the build was weak, and the introductions were sloppy. Really underwhelming. I'm ready to get to champ Mox and get MJF back on screen.

It just shouldn't be happening imo. It's a weak build because it's so soon after double or nothing and likely the only time new japan had with the g1 around the corner. I wasn't expecting much from this show anyway honestly

• Like 1

This card also reads like Gedo booked it lol.

It's not anyone's fault that people are hurt so I don't mind the matches. I don't care about Mox, Punk or Tanahashi right now personally. 

Both of the four ways will be a lot of fun. Here's to the Redeemer being on our TVs for the next decade 

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Obviously we dont know all the behind the scenes machinations, but curious, what is the match (or matches) that you felt really should have been on this Card?

When I say 'should've been' that is me saying the injuries didn't happen. Factoring injuries I would've picked as many one on one matches as possible out of these: Mox/Tanahashi, Hangman/Okada, Ospreay/Pac , Darby/ZSJ, Black/Naito, and White/Cole. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

When I say 'should've been' that is me saying the injuries didn't happen. Factoring injuries I would've picked as many one on one matches as possible out of these: Mox/Tanahashi, Hangman/Okada, Ospreay/Pac , Darby/ZSJ, Black/Naito, and White/Cole. 

even after factoring in the injuries, thats such a better card than what we are getting.

Say you can only get 4 of those matches (or the Hangman/Okada + White/Cole becomes the 4 way we are getting) its still better. 

They just mashed up too many things, and the matches are going to be so convoluted that its hard to imagine they will be as enjoyable as they should.

There are only FOUR 1v1 matches, even the Tag match is a 3 way. And of those 4, the Womens match doesnt fit obviously, ZSJ doesnt have a advertised opponent, and then Osprey is fighting Orange Cassidy. And lets be clear, Im in probably the Top 10% of Cassidy fans, but that is not the person I would have picked for Osprey. Which makes me think they are telegraphing Pac to be the new All-Atlantic Champ, as that was the obvious matchup as you pointed out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

even after factoring in the injuries, thats such a better card than what we are getting.

Say you can only get 4 of those matches (or the Hangman/Okada + White/Cole becomes the 4 way we are getting) its still better. 

They just mashed up too many things, and the matches are going to be so convoluted that its hard to imagine they will be as enjoyable as they should.

There are only FOUR 1v1 matches, even the Tag match is a 3 way. And of those 4, the Womens match doesnt fit obviously, ZSJ doesnt have a advertised opponent, and then Osprey is fighting Orange Cassidy. And lets be clear, Im in probably the Top 10% of Cassidy fans, but that is not the person I would have picked for Osprey. Which makes me think they are telegraphing Pac to be the new All-Atlantic Champ, as that was the obvious matchup as you pointed out. 

Agree with all of this. OC fan but Ospreay is above his paygrade, and there is no excuse for simply not using Naito, the NJPW talent who has the best chance of getting over by himself in America via character.

• Like 1

First match had some fun to it, still never cared about it at all

Happy to see FTR take all the Tag Team Gold. Honestly lifts them even higher than the AEW Titles, hopefully they use this to raise those titles to another level. 

Said it earlier, Pac being in this 4-way instead of higher on the card, sorta telegraphed him winning the AAC. But still deserved even though I was hoping it would be Miro. 

I worry these wins are completely showing their hand for the other title matches. We all assumed coming in that Osprey would hold his and White as well, but the only other cross promotional intrigue was the Interim AEW. Would they really allow Mox not to win tonight??