2020 Draft Talk

swede700

On 10/4/2019 at 6:28 AM, swede700 said:

If you include his bonuses, you need to add $1.5M to each of those totals above.  But, I'm personally over "project QBs", because the Vikings haven't been able to develop a project QB since Brad Johnson.  They have a project QB right now in Jake Browning and Sloter hadn't proven anything in the preseason outside the ability to dominate 3rd and 4th stringers.  Unfortunately, we never got to see him face off against the backups, so we have no basis to determine on whether he would have been capable of being the backup...which requires more than just the ability to play well on the field, it also requires the ability to help the starter diagnose things on the field.  Based on rumblings and rumors, it doesn't appear that Sloter was all that good at doing so, which is primarily why Mannion won the backup gig.  

Exactly. Dominate.

No one is saying that he should have won the starting job but  back up QB job? With the QBs that we have? Absolutely.

Let's not pretend like there is that much of a difference between backups and the defenses he consistently faced. He didn't just do well, he did dominate whatever he was in opposition to. Saying we have no basis to say that he could have been the back up over Mannion is just stubbornness. What the heck has Mannion done in any of his career? And no. I do not agree with that at all. You don't have to be the starter's sidekick in order to earn a job. His play on the field and attitude off the field (no trouble, no mishaps with the law, how players like him) are what matter...

You can make all the excuses for the front office that you want (for some reason that is a strong thing here) but the bottom line is that most fans weren't happy with having only two QBs on the roster. One of which being Mannion; the embodiment of un-impressiveness in either regular season or preseason his entire career. 

Primarily why Mannion won the backup QB job isn't because of anything Sloter did. That's bs. It's because no one in our organization knows a thing about QBs. They'd rather plaster a band-aid over it and hope it works out than actually address it. And that's why they're all in the midst of possibly being replaced at the end of the season. I don't want to hear he wasn't good in practice when he balled out in actual football games. I don't want to hear that he didn't assist the joke of a starter that we have now. Nothing could help that guy. Cousins could have everything nearly perfect around him: Guaranteed eighty - four million dollars worth of confidence from the team who signed him; all potential signs of a QB controversy immediately cut out to conform to Cousin's weak mental make up on the field, and still none of it matters. We're in the position we are in so we have to ride it out. 

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I’ve only watched a few drives but Love looking pretty decent against LSU. 

Down 14-6 in the 2nd and Love just hit a big pass. 

And he just threw an INT close to the red zone. Might’ve been in the RZ. 

Edited by VikeManDan

50 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Love has made a few questionable decisions, but his receivers are just completely outmatched. 

So far I’ve seen what I expected from Love. All the physical tools are there. Just needs to grow as a decision maker. 

Additionally, any QB we draft will most likely be learning behind Cousins. 

Jordan Love didn’t look good today; even by the expected standard of a sub par team going up against the no. 5 team in the country.  Even when an overmatched team slaughters the out-of-element opposition, there are still some kind of plays made. Maybe in a losing effort but Love didn’t really do much of anything   

I won’t hold it completely against him though. It is Utah State ve LSU. Hopefully it was just an exceptionally bad game for him.