2020 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

We did have Ponder going into year 2, im sure QB wasn’t even on the radar. We went the route of trying to build around the QB, which supposedly works so well. 

It probably works pretty well if you don't use your first round pick for a guy half the league felt was a 5th round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

You have no idea what is going to happen.  Besides, we are talking about getting our guy (Lawrence) by doing whatever it takes.  Whether that is being in the spot already or trading for it. So it doesn’t matter where we are if we want to go after him.  We do whatever.  

No, I have no idea what will necessarily happen, but with the talent that will still be present on the defense, I believe there's a .00001% chance they'll be in the top 3. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, I have no idea what will necessarily happen, but with the talent that will still be present on the defense, I believe there's a .00001% chance they'll be in the top 3. 

Yep 100% agreed. Trevor Lawrence is an extreme pipe dream that is just not happening. If guys like Love, Hurts, Eason, Frohm prove to be first round talents we shouldn't pass on them if available to us. Even trade up if need be to pick your favorite. Maybe Herbert drops a little bit and becomes a trade up option. 

48 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If there is a Quarterback the Vikings can draft this year that looks like he can be the franchise guy, who they can let sit on the bench and develop while we continue to pay Cousins the rest of his exorbitant salary, then they have to take him. 

I agree with all of this.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

You're right. We don't know what's going to happen. Lawrence might lose his throwing arm in a wood chipper before 2021. He may get the yips. He may just flat out suck. 

If there is a Quarterback the Vikings can draft this year that looks like he can be the franchise guy, who they can let sit on the bench and develop while we continue to pay Cousins the rest of his exorbitant salary, then they have to take him. 

Well we were referring to how it pertains to the 2021 draft.  Not what could happen in someone’s personal life. -___-   Funny though. Hopefully there is no wood chipper in his future...

As for this year, ugh.  I am not a scouting expert or a scout at all; I just don’t care for any of them as of right now.

1 hour ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

Yep 100% agreed. Trevor Lawrence is an extreme pipe dream that is just not happening. If guys like Love, Hurts, Eason, Frohm prove to be first round talents we shouldn't pass on them if available to us. Even trade up if need be to pick your favorite. Maybe Herbert drops a little bit and becomes a trade up option. 

Why is it a pipe dream?  

We are referring to an outlandish scenario in which we (the front office) want Lawrence and are willing to do whatever it takes. It may be a pipe dream but that isn’t anything to be mentioned here...   This conversation has always been hypothetical and not expected to happen. 

However, just for the sake of argument  

Also, if players quit on the team and lose their desire and fire to play hard, especially during a losing season with the irreplaceable Cousins, it is very possible that we get a low enough pick to be able to trade or acquire the necessary pick to get him.  

Literally all of the QBs you stated should be passed on.  Ugh. 

Edited by Torchezim

This is Trevor Lawrence's career statistics at Clemson.  He had an unbelievable 2018, ending in a National Championship.  2019 is trending very differently for him.  In fact, they are rather pedestrian stats for this season.  Right now, still fairly early in the college season, I'm not sure I would make him the first draft choice unless he can make adjustments the rest of the way.

STATS

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
84 136 61.8 1,131 8.3 8 5 87 143.7
259 397 65.2 3,280 8.3 30 4 74 157.6

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Right now, still fairly early in the college season, I'm not sure I would make him the first draft choice unless he can make adjustments the rest of the way.

Well he's got all of this season and all of next season. He isn't eligible until 2021. I'm fairly confident he'll be a top 2 pick. Could be a 1a/1b type of QB draft with Justin Fields from OSU.

23 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Maybe we should talk about next year...  

I'm guessing QB, LT, or DT at this point. It kind of depends on how the season goes. It's also possible they go CB, especially if Rhodes declines and they lose Waynes

I think those are fine positions to target, I'd throw in DE as well. IMO you can never go wrong targeting the trenches in round 1.

I'm hopeful they're able to find a way to keep as much of secondary intact i.e. Waynes, Harris, Kearse but that is probably best for a different thread. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm guessing QB, LT, or DT at this point. It kind of depends on how the season goes. It's also possible they go CB, especially if Rhodes declines and they lose Waynes

Even if Rhodes declines and they lose Waynes, I would suspect then that they'd be able to resign Mackensie and then have Rhodes and Hughes on the outside with Holton Hill (if he can stay out of trouble) waiting in the wings.  They will still take a CB somewhere, but I'm not sure if it'd be in the 1st round.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Even if Rhodes declines and they lose Waynes, I would suspect then that they'd be able to resign Mackensie and then have Rhodes and Hughes on the outside with Holton Hill (if he can stay out of trouble) waiting in the wings.  They will still take a CB somewhere, but I'm not sure if it'd be in the 1st round.  

Good point. I really think if there is a QB they like, it's him. 

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Well if we are discussing next year then we should draft O Line and D Line.  Early and often.  

Edited by Torchezim