2020 Draft Talk

swede700

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Many felt the same way about Mahomes and Watson coming out. They fell out of the top 10. Sometimes you just have to take a chance, and I’d hope to do so on a QB with a ton of physical talent. Obviously the right coaching staff needs to be in place to develop that QB.

I understand. I would just rather take a chance on a player like Lawrence. We aren't good at the guessing game of mid round QBs. Let's avoid that huh?

• Like 1

People need to get off the Lawrence thing. We’d have to be super terrible next year to have a shot, because the team that’s bad enough to get him #1 overall in 2021 likely isn’t giving up such a “can’t miss” guy. Lawrence isn’t happening unless he falls. At which point, that means teams have seen enough tape to discover he isn’t a “can’t miss” guy (see: Barkley, Teddy, and a ton of others). 

We cant afford to pass on a QB this year because of what might be there next year. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

People need to get off the Lawrence thing. We’d have to be super terrible next year to have a shot, because the team that’s bad enough to get him #1 overall in 2021 likely isn’t giving up such a “can’t miss” guy. Lawrence isn’t happening unless he falls. At which point, that means teams have seen enough tape to discover he isn’t a “can’t miss” guy (see: Barkley, Teddy, and a ton of others). 

We cant afford to pass on a QB this year because of what might be there next year. 

Yes we can afford to pass on this year’s QBs.  We are not going anywhere anytime soon and are most likely going to hire a completely new staff.  None of these QBs are anything special imo. Of course I could be wrong but until then we will see.

We very well could be picking in the top 3.  

I will never get off the Lawrence thing until we lose him to someone else.

Edited by Torchezim

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Since i don't think we are selecting QB in round 1 this year ... I would like to start by selecting our future LT for our future starting QB (that will be taken in '21 draft).

True would love to get Wirfs with his athletic ability, he would be a perfect LT to replace Reiff.  Is super athletic and surprisingly powerful and strong, tons of upside but he could easily be gone when the Vikings draft.  Same with Trey Adams he will most likely be gone as well.  And Andrew Thomas will be long gone also so that leaves the Vikings with not a ton of options.  Van Lanen is a decent prospect but is more a RT possibly and will see how he looks against Chase Young later in the year.  Alaric Jackson I feel could be there late 1st round but he is more a OG which could be a need as well.  Walker Little is injured on Stanford, but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick coming off that injury.  Alex Leatherwood is another OT/OG type and might be a decent get but will see.    Jonah Jackson I would love at OG in the 2nd round, and honestly he is playing like a 1st round pick and is arguably playing as good as any OG in the nation.  

Elflein honestly needs to go with how bad he has been, so OG might be more of a need, and Reiff we are stuck with unless we cut him but who else they got to play the spot.  

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

Yes we can afford to pass on this year’s QBs.  We are not going anywhere anytime soon and are most likely going to hire a completely new staff.  None of these QBs are anything special imo. Of course I could be wrong but until then we will see.

Might as well get off it unless the Vikings trade their entire draft in 2021 to get him.  By the way Lawrence has struggled this year especially with accuracy, seems like the expectations are getting to him a little and he has not looked comfortable back there, but his OL has been bad also.  Will see if he can turn it around, but yeah no way the Vikings get him unless they all of a sudden become the worst team in the NFL in 2020.  

The problem with waiting till 2021 for a QB is that we are really just postponing the issue. And if we take one next year he would have the luxury of sitting on the bench for a year, which I think can be important. If we take one in 2021 he likely will be expected to start as a rookie, which usually isn’t a good idea. 

We can take a QB in the 2020 draft. Then wait till 2021 to find a LT. Because it’s easier to find a LT that can play adequate as a rookie vs a rookie QB. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Since i don't think we are selecting QB in round 1 this year ... I would like to start by selecting our future LT for our future starting QB (that will be taken in '21 draft).

LT is probably the next best selection after QB. I think you also have to look at DL too. DE could be a need if the Vikes are forced to move on from Griffen and/or Weatherly due to financial reasons. DT also has to be a concern. Joseph is getting up there and isnt cheap and they don’t have a good 3T.

This could be a dumb idea. But what does everyone think about the possibility of bringing in Daniel Jeremiah as the new GM of the Vikings? 

I think he’s a really sharp guy who can evaluate players. Not a lot of interesting names available in the GM circles, but he actually intrigues me. 

As far as a new HC, a name that will come up this offseason is Eric Bienemy. He has experience under Andy Reid and could bring some very interesting ideas for a new revamped offense similar to KC’s. Not to mention, he used to coach RBs for the Vikings. He seems like a smart guy. Just an idea. But if we wanna spice it up, that sure would. 

Id take Zim as DC, all day every day though. Honestly, I want him as the HC but I just think this season is going sideways and he will get fired unfortunately. 

Edited by Eric dunn

13 hours ago, Torchezim said:

There's a .000001% chance the Vikings will be picking in the top 3.  It just doesn't happen. In fact, it's only happened 4 times, and the last time was in 1968 when they took Yary.  When the team is bad, it's never that bad.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That's not true. They had a top 3 draft pick in 2012. They just happened to trade out of the spot.

Well, they traded out...and that took a near collapse of the entire organization to get to that #3.  

Edited by swede700

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There's a .000001% chance the Vikings will be picking in the top 3.  It just doesn't happen. In fact, it's only happened 4 times, and the last time was in 1968 when they took Yary.  When the team is bad, it's never that bad.

You have no idea what is going to happen.  Besides, we are talking about getting our guy (Lawrence) by doing whatever it takes.  Whether that is being in the spot already or trading for it. So it doesn’t matter where we are if we want to go after him.  We do whatever.  

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

We also passed on Kirk Cousins in that draft. Should've learned that lesson again...

We did have Ponder going into year 2, im sure QB wasn’t even on the radar. We went the route of trying to build around the QB, which supposedly works so well. 

Edited by vikingsrule

Just now, Torchezim said:

You have no idea what is going to happen.  Besides, we are talking about getting our guy (Lawrence) by doing whatever it takes.  Whether that is being in the spot already or trading for it. So it doesn’t matter where we are if we want to go after him.  We do whatever.  

You're right. We don't know what's going to happen. Lawrence might lose his throwing arm in a wood chipper before 2021. He may get the yips. He may just flat out suck. 

If there is a Quarterback the Vikings can draft this year that looks like he can be the franchise guy, who they can let sit on the bench and develop while we continue to pay Cousins the rest of his exorbitant salary, then they have to take him. 

• Like 2