2020 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why do you think we'll be so much worse next year?

I mean if the front office is fired and Cousins retains his position, a few players are probably going to want to leave. 

Then we have a bunch of changes with coaches.  We could be in the top 10.  

2 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Know what you’re saying before you say it.  I know I am not a common poster here but I have never been enammored with any QB prospect since I’ve watched football. Other than Luck and Lawrence. 

I can’t say for sure what will happen by that time when he is available but I feel really good about the guy.  

And you can throw out all of the examples you want.  They aren’t relevant to anything I’ve said. You’re just talking to talk at this point.  

I am not sure what poster you are subtly referring to when saying “some poster”, but that doesn’t hold any weight in the conversation we are having either.  

I simply said that none of these prospect I M O - Understand? In my opinion...   are close to what Lawrence is currently.  If we happen to be in position for him then great; if not then oh well.

And you're working for which scouting department, exactly?  You're right. It is your opinion. So stop presenting it as fact, back off the insults, and maybe we'll all have a better time around here. 

11 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

And you're working for which scouting department, exactly?  You're right. It is your opinion. So stop presenting it as fact, back off the insults, and maybe we'll all have a better time around here. 

What insults?  How about you quit labeling me a liar?

Like I said, know what the hell you (specifically you this time) are talking about before calling someone out.  It makes you look silly.  But you always look silly so you’re probably used to it.  Everything the man said wasn’t relevant to what I said.  

How am I presenting it as fact if I stated multiple times that it was my opinion?  Seems like you too don’t have the slightest clue to what you’re talking about either. 

Back off from responding to me until you read everything I said.  

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Torchezim said:

You have no idea what is going to happen.  Besides, we are talking about getting our guy (Lawrence) by doing whatever it takes.  Whether that is being in the spot already or trading for it. So it doesn’t matter where we are if we want to go after him.  We do whatever.  

It is like saying this year the Vikings should get Andrew Thomas, of course they should but why even think that because they will not be picking in the top 3 picks of the draft.  Trade their draft away for years to come to do it, not sure that is the best idea either.  Same with Lawrence in 2021, great player but honestly is he even that great of a fit for a zone blocking system and run game?  Could argue Fields would be a better fit for that because he is a better athlete and has greatly improved as a passer.

I like Lawrence a lot, had the best true FR QB season in the history of college football.  But if you are such an expert on Lawrence, how do you explain Lawrence's interception problem this season?  He is 34th in passing yards in the nation, 73th in completion percentage, 39th in yards per attempt, 55th in passing TDs, 19th in INTs, and has a 143 rating and Tua has a 225 rating for example.  How has he played this poorly despite having better WRs to throw to than last year?   I have my own thoughts on why, but if you are an expert on him, then why?

Vikings need a QB, especially after how they have looked early this year.  Even a backup project QB makes a ton of sense, what does not make sense is not getting one in 2020 and waiting for a player they cannot even get unless they are horrible in the next draft in 2021.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It is like saying this year the Vikings should get Andrew Thomas, of course they should but why even think that because they will not be picking in the top 3 picks of the draft.  Trade their draft away for years to come to do it, not sure that is the best idea either.  Same with Lawrence in 2021, great player but honestly is he even that great of a fit for a zone blocking system and run game?  Could argue Fields would be a better fit for that because he is a better athlete and has greatly improved as a passer.

I like Lawrence a lot, had the best true FR QB season in the history of college football.  But if you are such an expert on Lawrence, how do you explain Lawrence's interception problem this season?  He is 34th in passing yards in the nation, 73th in completion percentage, 39th in yards per attempt, 55th in passing TDs, 19th in INTs, and has a 143 rating and Tua has a 225 rating for example.  How has he played this poorly despite having better WRs to throw to than last year?   I have my own thoughts on why, but if you are an expert on him, then why?

Vikings need a QB, especially after how they have looked early this year.  Even a backup project QB makes a ton of sense, what does not make sense is not getting one in 2020 and waiting for a player they cannot even get unless they are horrible in the next draft in 2021.  

Well, I appreciate the in depth response and stats to go along with it.  I never claimed to be an expert on Lawrence.  I even stated on one of these threads that I was no expert scout.  My opinion and belief in Lawrence as the Vikings answer to their historic QB woes is based on what most fans base their opinions on — Eye test (watching a lot of football) and research. Where did I say I was an expert? I didn’t. Just a fan who hopes we have a shot (as unrealistic as it may seem now) at him. If we don’t then okay...? It would be a bummer but move on with anyone not named Cousins and can actually make semi tough completions.

I just feel really good about the guy.  I haven’t felt that way for anyone other than Luck.  I don’t have stats on hand to explain in the manner in which you have as to why he is so high on my list.  

His performance this season though, I chalk it up to him maybe being young and listening to the praise that has showered him all offseason since dismantling the Alabama defense. Taking the game not as serious since he did reach such a level at his age so he’s going through the motions on his way to a national championship. 

I can’t explain why the beginning of his season has looked quite average save for last week. But I can say that I’m not worried about it. I’m not sure why he is underperforming against such lesser talented teams.  I mean, even the bests have their struggles at times 

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

Does anyone have any strong opinions on him?

He’s my draft crush so far this season. 

Hes possibly the most physically gifted draft eligible QB this year. From a physical skill set standpoint he has everything you look for in a prospect. Strong arm, accurate, big, mobile, and he has a nice compact, quick delivery. 

Where Love goes in the draft, I believe will come down to how well he does in interviews. 

• Like 1

Let's be very honest here, how many 1st round QBs have actually actually panned out to be major All-Pros over the last 20 years? You can have a successful non-franchise QB that is serviceable in the first round ala Marcus Mariota at this point but we need something a bit more. We just need to be better overall at scouting for players that fit to our offensive scheme which means that we need to keep OCs that we like for more than just 1 season. This should help get an overall better player that fits for what we want. Look at Minshew, he fits for what Jacksonville's offense needs. 

As for prospects, knowing the vikings, we will never be in the top 5. We always finish middle of the pack in drafts. We will not trade the farm for a top 5 pick just to get a player. As long as Spielman is in the GM seat, it wont happen nor should it! So for this year, knowing that if Tua and Herbert maintain their status quo, we will be taking a hard look at Jordan Love, Jacob Easton, Jake Fromm and Jalen Hurts(Possibly Joe Burrow). IMO each one of these QBs will sit behind Cousins for the entire season.

Overall, I'd love to get Jake Fromm on this team. Dangerous play-action guy who is accurate and isn't afraid to air it out. Sure he his arm strength isn't the best in the world, but neither was Bridgewater and IMO Fromm is a better prospect. Fromm also took over for Easton and had another 5 star qb prospect thrown at him in Justin Fields and never batted an eye. Overall, he will be obtainable at our draft spot and with time, may be a better player than both Tua and Herbert.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

He’s my draft crush so far this season. 

Hes possibly the most physically gifted draft eligible QB this year. From a physical skill set standpoint he has everything you look for in a prospect. Strong arm, accurate, big, mobile, and he has a nice compact, quick delivery. 

Where Love goes in the draft, I believe will come down to how well he does in interviews. 

And character-wise, he fits what they look for in a player.

17 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

I may come off a bit facetious, but that is the last person we want him learning from, right?

I'm not sure. I think Kirk is a smart guy he's just not playing to his potential this season for whatever reason. I think I'd be fine with a rookie learning behind Cousins, then again we don't really have a choice!

23 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

I’d honestly be worried about him sitting behind Cousins.  I may come off a bit facetious, but that is the last person we want him learning from, right?

No, he is exactly the type of person I'd want him learning behind.  A guy like Keenum would be the last guy I'd want him learning behind.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, he is exactly the type of person I'd want him learning behind.  A guy like Keenum would be the last guy I'd want him learning behind.  

True.  

He can can sit behind Cousins and learn exactly what not to do during a football game.