2020 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

They really need more interior pressure, and clearly an OT that can start next year or later.......I can also see a CB as need......which seems hard to believe given all the draft capital spent on DBs, but you need a lot of DBs....

That makes a ton of sense but backup QB needs to be addressed potentially not to mention CB like you said could be a massive issue and really safety is Harris is not resigned.   Even now with Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander and Hughes on the roster healthy CB is a massive issue.  So take Waynes and possibly Alexander out it is even worse, and or cut Rhodes to get some cash.

If the draft was right now I would say it goes like this in terms of team needs CB, DT, OT, QB, S.  But could easily put S at 2nd or 3rd spot if again Harris is not resigned, and or Kearse could leave as well after this season and that could be a loss in the slot and as a backup safety as well.

• Like 1

The secondary needs are all dependent upon what is done with the position regarding the pending free agents.  I expect, in the end, that Alexander and Harris will be brought back, while Waynes will walk for big money elsewhere.  If that happens, I do expect that they will draft another CB, but it won't be in the first round or maybe even second.  If they can't bring Alexander back, then that makes the need jump higher where they may have to draft one in the first two rounds.  

For me though, despite what Cousins has done the last few weeks, there has to be a plan for beyond him and next year is the opportune time to do so.  He has yet to prove that he can be consistent over a significant amount of time, so they need to groom a replacement.  Therefore, the future QB is still my #1 team need with a replacement for Linval right behind...while a new LT would be nice, I just don't think there's going to one worthwhile to take high next year, therefore, that will have to wait until 2021.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The secondary needs are all dependent upon what is done with the position regarding the pending free agents.  I expect, in the end, that Alexander and Harris will be brought back, while Waynes will walk for big money elsewhere.  If that happens, I do expect that they will draft another CB, but it won't be in the first round or maybe even second.  If they can't bring Alexander back, then that makes the need jump higher where they may have to draft one in the first two rounds.  

For me though, despite what Cousins has done the last few weeks, there has to be a plan for beyond him and next year is the opportune time to do so.  He has yet to prove that he can be consistent over a significant amount of time, so they need to groom a replacement.  Therefore, the future QB is still my #1 team need with a replacement for Linval right behind...while a new LT would be nice, I just don't think there's going to one worthwhile to take high next year, therefore, that will have to wait until 2021.  

I worry that Cousins could be "Flacco-ing" himself into another contract. Even so, I hope the Vikings take a QB to be the heir apparent this year. I also hope that the next Cousins deal, should he get one, isn't so difficult to move on from. 

That said, if he wins us a Super Bowl this year, I'm willing to give him a "thank you" deal and try not to get frustrated if he doesn't play up to it :P

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I worry that Cousins could be "Flacco-ing" himself into another contract. Even so, I hope the Vikings take a QB to be the heir apparent this year. I also hope that the next Cousins deal, should he get one, isn't so difficult to move on from. 

That said, if he wins us a Super Bowl this year, I'm willing to give him a "thank you" deal and try not to get frustrated if he doesn't play up to it :P

A super bowl win for 3-4 years of poor play (see Ravens and Flacco post SB) is probably worth it.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

A super bowl win for 3-4 years of poor play (see Ravens and Flacco post SB) is probably worth it.

I mean, I'd pay Cousins all the money if we get a SB win out of him!

Overall though, pending this postseason if we make it, I'd still like to see about drafting QB in the 1st-2nd for QBOTF. This year especially has lots of talent. If everyone can stay healthy, we are looking at a 2004 type QB draft class. After that I'd focus on DT/CB/S in the subsequent rounds.

I do think OT is a need, specifically LT but I'm not sure we will be in line to draft a top OT in this draft nor do I think this draft is a strong at OT.

• Like 1

Needs are so unclear at this point given the direction the team could go with veterans and free agency. Realistically, this team could be needing a new starting LT, LG, DE, UT, CB and S.

I’m sure all of those spots won’t be vacant but if we lose the incumbent, I don’t see a replacement option on the roster. I’d throw in QB too, but Cousins is at least alleviating some of that concern where maybe you only take a guy if a player slides. 

Depth will get purged too. Wilson, Hill, Weatherly, and Kearse could all be looking at starting gigs elsewhere.

Shea Patterson is looking pretty solid as a potential mid round draft pick for the Vikings and possible backup QB/developmental QB.  He has a quick release, played good in awful weather against Notre Dame throwing the ball.  He can handle pressure in the pocket and is super athletic and mobile, good throwing on the run and with scramble plays.  Is a tough kid, can run when asked to gain yards and is good ball handling and play faking as well.  Had a rough start to the year but has played well recently, kid could be a great 3rd or 4th round pick I feel for the Vikings.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:25 AM, JDBrocks said:

How cool would it be to see Antoine Winfield Jr. playing for the Vikings? He certainly has the talent to play on Sundays, it's really a matter of health for him. When he's on the field he seems to be around the ball all the time.

I want him bad. I don't care where we have to draft him or about any of his size/speed measurables, I just want him because he's a gamer and he's always around the football.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:41 AM, wcblack34 said:

If we can get his cap hit lowered to even around $20M, I'd strongly consider extending him. I don't want to continue shuffling through QBs.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

I want him bad. I don't care where we have to draft him or about any of his size/speed measurables, I just want him because he's a gamer and he's always around the football.

He would make a lot of sense, is having a fine season and is finally staying healthy.  As a RS SOPH could declare this year and I feel could be anywhere between a 3rd to a 4th round pick possibly.  With a great workout could maybe climb to the 2nd round but depends on his speed.  Will be needed big time especially with Harris and Kearse most likely not signing next year and leaving to another team.

Sounds like a little much but JR Reed is another solid safety who could be in the middle rounds of the draft they could pickup.  Or Julian Blackmon who is a promising coverage safety, JR Pace who I like a lot and Myles Dorn in that middle round range.  Tanner Muse is very interesting but I feel he will be more a coverage OLB in the NFL and not a safety, is a little stiff back there at times but is a hitter.

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Shea Patterson is looking pretty solid as a potential mid round draft pick for the Vikings and possible backup QB/developmental QB.  He has a quick release, played good in awful weather against Notre Dame throwing the ball.  He can handle pressure in the pocket and is super athletic and mobile, good throwing on the run and with scramble plays.  Is a tough kid, can run when asked to gain yards and is good ball handling and play faking as well.  Had a rough start to the year but has played well recently, kid could be a great 3rd or 4th round pick I feel for the Vikings.

How would you grade his decision making?

12 hours ago, Klomp said:

If we can get his cap hit lowered to even around $20M, I'd strongly consider extending him. I don't want to continue shuffling through QBs.

Let's not get too carried away.  Cousins past indicates that he is a very streaky quarterback.  Let's see if he can maintain his current level of play through the season before thinking about extending him at any price.