2020 Draft Talk

swede700

7 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

A prospect we haven't talked much about but how would Tyler Biadasz out of Wisconsin fit in at LG?

Slowly narrowing 1st round to a hopeful 3T, OG, or CB depending on who is kept in-house.

He would be a great fit and a great get as a center or guard, too bad he will be picked top 20 selections, probably top 15 even as a center.  Biadasz has a lot higher upside as a center than Bradbury does sadly, and Bradbury is the one we got and he gets pushed around a lot but has also looked ok at times, lucky for him he is in this zone blocking scheme and is arguably more athletic than Biadasz but not as strong or aggressive.  

On 11/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, vikesfan89 said:

It's been disappointing how the interior lineman have developed lately

Zimmer/Patterson have very high expectations, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that maybe they haven't developed as fast as one would hope...but Jaleel, Jalyn and Watts are still only in their 3rd, 2nd, and rookie years (and all still are 25 or younger).  And let's not forget that Stephen was a 7th rounder developed into a starter...and he's still only in his 6th year. 

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Zimmer/Patterson have very high expectations, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that maybe they haven't developed as fast as one would hope...but Jaleel, Jalyn and Watts are still only in their 3rd, 2nd, and rookie years (and all still are 25 or younger).  And let's not forget that Stephen was a 7th rounder developed into a starter...and he's still only in his 6th year. 

I think it comes down to not using an early pick on the position. They’ve been content using mid round picks on purely rotational players. Doesn’t seem like they’ve actually gone out and drafted a player that projects to being a starter outside of maybe Jaleel Johnson (4th round pick but many thought he was a steal), but he’s been a disappointment. They’ve gotten a ton of value out of Stephen but his best spot is probably relieving Joseph, not starting.

Depending upon what happens at DE, CB and OL, I’d love to see the Vikes actually make an early investment (round 3 or earlier) in a DT that actually has the skill set to start. We’ve got too many rotational pieces in Holmes, Johnson and Hercules, it’s becoming overkill.

Watts looks like he could eventually be that backup NT and replace Stephen, once a true starting UT is added.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I’m with @vikesfan89 on this one. It may take awhile to fully develop, but you should at least see flashes. Especially from guys like Johnson and Holmes, who’ve not only been in the system for multiple years, but were also high 4th round picks from big time college football programs. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m with @vikesfan89 on this one. It may take awhile to fully develop, but you should at least see flashes. Especially from guys like Johnson and Holmes, who’ve not only been in the system for multiple years, but were also high 4th round picks from big time college football programs. 

I can agree that Jaleel has been kind of disappointing, but Jalyn has only had 11 snaps this year, so I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect to show flashes.

19 hours ago, swede700 said:

I can agree that Jaleel has been kind of disappointing, but Jalyn has only had 11 snaps this year, so I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect to show flashes.

He lost snaps to Mata'afa this year, who keeps on getting washed out in games.

I don't know why we are keeping him.

On 11/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, Ozzy said:

He would be a great fit and a great get as a center or guard, too bad he will be picked top 20 selections, probably top 15 even as a center.  Biadasz has a lot higher upside as a center than Bradbury does sadly, and Bradbury is the one we got and he gets pushed around a lot but has also looked ok at times, lucky for him he is in this zone blocking scheme and is arguably more athletic than Biadasz but not as strong or aggressive.  

What about Creed Humphrey out of OU? I imagine most iOL prospects that play Center in college can transition to LG/RG.

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

What about Creed Humphrey out of OU? I imagine most iOL prospects that play Center in college can transition to LG/RG.

Creed Humphrey is a solid player as well, not sure he comes out as a RS SOPH but he could if he wanted to.  Sure he could play guard but I feel he would be better at center potentially.  Biadasz would be a better guard than Humphrey though because he has a little more power but with both I think center is this best position.  

If the Vikings are looking for a guard best option for their system might be Alaric Jackson who I think could transition to OG well and could play RT also.  Same with Alex Leatherwood, he could play RT or OG no problem and has done that in college.  Ben Bredeson is another solid guard as is Tommy Kraemer who can also play OG or RT potentially.  John Simpson makes a ton of sense mid rounds because of his athletic ability and how he can pull and move he could be a good fit.  And I like how tough Shane Lemieux is at OG.  Jonah Jackson is a sleeper I think at guard and could be a steal as a 2nd round pick, he is playing great football this year and Trey Smith is a mauler at OG and can play RT but does have health issues, and Deonte Brown is a beast and a big kid who can move people but might not be a system fit.

Ideally I would rather have a guard who can play tackle than a center who can play guard.  And it would be just sad if they are looking to move on at center when they just drafted Bradbury, and not sure Bradbury would be a good guard at all honestly, not sure he has the power for that.  

39 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Creed Humphrey is a solid player as well, not sure he comes out as a RS SOPH but he could if he wanted to.  Sure he could play guard but I feel he would be better at center potentially.  Biadasz would be a better guard than Humphrey though because he has a little more power but with both I think center is this best position.  

If the Vikings are looking for a guard best option for their system might be Alaric Jackson who I think could transition to OG well and could play RT also.  Same with Alex Leatherwood, he could play RT or OG no problem and has done that in college.  Ben Bredeson is another solid guard as is Tommy Kraemer who can also play OG or RT potentially.  John Simpson makes a ton of sense mid rounds because of his athletic ability and how he can pull and move he could be a good fit.  And I like how tough Shane Lemieux is at OG.  Jonah Jackson is a sleeper I think at guard and could be a steal as a 2nd round pick, he is playing great football this year and 1.)Trey Smith is a mauler at OG and can play RT but does have health issues, and Deonte Brown is a beast and a big kid who can move people but might not be a system fit.

2.) Ideally I would rather have a guard who can play tackle than a center who can play guard. 3.) And it would be just sad if they are looking to move on at center when they just drafted Bradbury, and not sure Bradbury would be a good guard at all honestly, not sure he has the power for that.  

1. He's an interesting guy, hopefully his health checks out but he seems to have been playing really well for Tennessee this year.

2. I agree and that's a fair point to bring up.

3. I definitely don't think they're looking to move on from Bradbury and hopefully it didn't seem to suggest that they would. I think he'll be a pretty solid and foundational piece for us along the OL. Was more looking at highly-rated centers (Biadasz and Humphrey) that could play guard but also have backup ability in case Bradbury got hurt. Really didn't consider the other positional versatility you mentioned in the 2nd point above.

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

1. He's an interesting guy, hopefully his health checks out but he seems to have been playing really well for Tennessee this year.

2. I agree and that's a fair point to bring up.

3. I definitely don't think they're looking to move on from Bradbury and hopefully it didn't seem to suggest that they would. I think he'll be a pretty solid and foundational piece for us along the OL. Was more looking at highly-rated centers (Biadasz and Humphrey) that could play guard but also have backup ability in case Bradbury got hurt. Really didn't consider the other positional versatility you mentioned in the 2nd point above.

Trey Smith is awesome but had blood clots in his lungs last year, hopefully that issue is over with but to me not sure that kind of problem can just go away.  Ideally I would want him to play another season at Tennessee and be healthy and not have that issue come back again and be a little more clear to play long term but who knows.  Hopefully it does improve, he is a beast as a guard though but might not be the best zone blocking scheme guard and is better possibly for a different OL system, at RT he could play good but I think he is better at guard.  

To pick a center in the 1st round or high 2nd, which is where Humphrey and Biadasz would be selected I would not do that just to get a backup center and or guard.  I doubt the Vikings use a high 1st rounder on OL but maybe, inside blocking at OG has been pretty bad.  I would be more comfortable with Tommy Kraemer in the 2nd round, or Jake Hanson in the 5th or 6th round who can play C or OG, or Donell Stanley who can play both also in the later rounds.  Same with Nick Harris possibly in rounds 6 or 7.  Or Alaric Jackson or Jonah Jackson in the 2nd round I would like more than using a 1st rounder on a OL, if they fall a little that is, Biadasz is not even an option in my book unless the Vikings are awful the rest of the year and get into the 8-20 pick range.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

To pick a center in the 1st round or high 2nd, which is where Humphrey and Biadasz would be selected I would not do that just to get a backup center and or guard.

I guess I'd look at it as an OG who can play center. Perhaps saying the same thing different ways. Provided Humphrey declares I'd have to imagine they'll go in that 16-25 range, pure speculation of course.

Depending on how the board falls I'm currently in favor of OL (OG/LT) , DL (all), QB, and CB (depending on in-house moves made at the CB position this off-season) in the 1st. 

Think we can safely rule out WR, TE, RB, C, RT, and LB in the 1st.