2020 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Yes: our draft needs at the moment are 3T>G>CB methinks.  Zim's defense typically relies on a disruptive 3T to be effective.

I can agree with this so long as Griffen returns. DE could be a problem with Griffen and/or Weatherly potentially leaving.

When valuing positions, i think CB ends up getting selected before an OG given the number of CBs that get taken early compared to G. 

I could see a draft as follows:

1. CB or 3T

2. 3T or CB

3. OG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

An explosive 3T will help this team on the back end more than a rookie corner will.

I agree. There is no pressure up the middle whatsoever It's hurting the DEs and CB's.  Vikings CB play has been bad but one reason is they in coverage for too long. They haven't invested a premium draft pick ie 1st/2nd on the DLine since Floyd. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

11 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

'Bout time we all agreed on DT....

Not OT?  ;)

While I think they do need a 3-tech, I'm not sure if there needs to be one taken in the 1st round.  But, then again, I haven't gotten deep into the draft analysis yet and how deep the class is at that position.  

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Not OT?  ;)

While I think they do need a 3-tech, I'm not sure if there needs to be one taken in the 1st round.  But, then again, I haven't gotten deep into the draft analysis yet and how deep the class is at that position.  

I think they just take BPA whether that's a OT, OG, DT, or CB. Either one will make the team better.

9 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think they just take BPA whether that's a OT, OG, DT, or CB. Either one will make the team better.

I think you're probably right.  However, if the right DT or OG is there when the Vikes pick in the first, I think I might go for need.  But, again, I think you're probably right.

I would look for a LT or a DT in first Round......most of the QBs struggle to read pressure coming from blindside, I would like to look at the stats but I feel like pressures coming from blindside result in fumbles more often than pressures coming from the other side. That's one area where our current OLine can really benefit with an upgrade

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Ifeadi Odenigbo - wouldn't be opposed to seeing this guy take over for Everson and switching sides with Hunter. He's shown some great pass rush this season.

I like Odenigbo but he is more of a situational pass rush DT and run stopping DE.  He is not the pass rusher opposite Hunter that we need long term.  I would like a pass rusher at DE but honestly DT might be more important.  Either way the DL has to be address in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round of the draft.  

If the Vikings could get a guy like Javon Kinlaw DT or Curtis Weaver DE 1st round I would take it.  Or get a guy like Raekwon Davis DT late 1st or 2nd round or pure 2nd round Leki Fotu DT or Marlon Davidson DT or Kenny Willekes DE I would take that as well.  Or get a guy like Jonathan Garvin DE or Joe Gaziano DE 2nd round I would like that as well if we went OL in the 1st round then QB in the 3rd possibly.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

Not OT?  ;)

I think DT is the biggest need on the team right now, and I expect a really good one to be there. Of course, I'd love a LT or LG.....but this defense needs to be a LOT better than it is likely to be against great teams. IMO.

55 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Quite frankly, unless you’re talking about a Steve Hutchinson/ Quenton Nelson type player, I’m not interested in a guard in the 1st round. It’s just not a good value. 

I’d be content with a Kevin Zeitler type at the end of round one. However, I do agree that value likely suggests a CB or pass rusher.