2020 Draft Talk

swede700

15 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Our 2nd (58th overall = 320 pts) and both 3rds ( 89th = 145 pts and 105 = 84 pts) add up to 549 pts, which places it between Detroit's 2nd (35th overall = 550 pts) and the Giant's 2nd (36th overall = 540 pts).  Adding our 4th rd pick (132nd overall = 40 pts) elevates the total to 589 pts, almost what KC's 1nd round pick is worth (32nd overall = 590 pts).  NOt sure I'd want to give up that many picks, in a deep draft, to move back into or near the 1st round.

Basically we’d be looking at teams around picks 30-32 willing to take a deal for more picks. A second and two 3rds, very tempted to do it. Anything else is a no.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Basically we’d be looking at teams around picks 30-32 willing to take a deal for more picks. A second and two 3rds, very tempted to do it. Anything else is a no.

I think this draft is really deep at some spots. 

What about trading our 3rd ( comp pick), a 4th, 6th, and 7th to move up to the beginning of round 3..

I think we can get 5 quality starters from those 1st 5 picks.. not crazy about all late picks.

4 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I think this draft is really deep at some spots. 

What about trading our 3rd ( comp pick), a 4th, 6th, and 7th to move up to the beginning of round 3..

I think we can get 5 quality starters from those 1st 5 picks.. not crazy about all late picks.

You know who IS though, don't you?

I could be wrong, but i have thought for a while that if MIN cant resign Mack. They would be very much in the mix to select Antoine Winfield Jr. Also with Harris only under contract for 1 year & likely to be traded. Winfield would be a full time player, either at NCB or S. I personally would love it and i would take this kid at #25. I think more than likely he slips to the 2nd. But something just tells me he winds up with the Vikings. 

1 minute ago, Eric dunn said:

I could be wrong, but i have thought for a while that if MIN cant resign Mack. They would be very much in the mix to select Antoine Winfield Jr. Also with Harris only under contract for 1 year & likely to be traded. Winfield would be a full time player, either at NCB or S. I personally would love it and i would take this kid at #25. I think more than likely he slips to the 2nd. But something just tells me he winds up with the Vikings. 

I'd be surprised if he ends up on the Vikings, considering I don't view him as much a Zimmer-type of DB.  I think he's certainly got the brains for it, but I don't think he has the physical makeup of a typical guy that Zimmer likes.

Just now, swede700 said:

I'd be surprised if he ends up on the Vikings, considering I don't view him as much a Zimmer-type of DB.  I think he's certainly got the brains for it, but I don't think he has the physical makeup of a typical guy that Zimmer likes.

Because of his size? Because he is a very good athlete. 

If its because of his size, then i disagree. Mack Alexander & Mike Hughes are both smaller DBs and MIN took them high. 

14 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Because of his size? Because he is a very good athlete. 

If its because of his size, then i disagree. Mack Alexander & Mike Hughes are both smaller DBs and MIN took them high. 

Maybe he can slightly live with CBs being shorter (even though I still don't think he's all that fond of them), but not his safeties...and Winfield is going to be a S.  He hasn't had any short safeties.

I don't see a scenario where Rick trades 4 picks (2nd\3rd\3rd\4th) to move up to #32 in the first round.

But if they have a stronger feeling about an OT "falling" in the 12-14 range, over all other OT available in the draft, I wouldn't hesitate to send a 1st + 2nd to secure him.

I understand that draft capital comes at a premium, but hitting on these "premium positions" is just, if not, more important. Given our roster make up, and understanding that CB & WR is deep in the draft, i'd only do this move for a franchise LT (possibly move RR to LG, and the rest of the line is decently set)

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

I’d love to see Winfield Jr on the vikings. He’s tough, physical, and has a knack for making big plays. 

Oh yeah and his dad was a stud for us, too. 

I think he could play nickel if he was asked to but would be better as a safety.  Not sure if Mike Hughes is better as a outside corner or not.  Say all the good corners are gone I think he is totally an option 1st round, he would not last till the late 2nd most likely.  

Still not totally sold on Holton Hill as the other starting CB so that is a problem.  Would almost rather have Mike Hughes in the slot, Hill and then another corner on the outside that I assume we draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Still not totally sold on Holton Hill as the other starting CB so that is a problem.  Would almost rather have Mike Hughes in the slot, Hill and then another corner on the outside that I assume we draft.

This is where I am in terms of the most likely scenario

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This is where I am in terms of the most likely scenario

I agree compared to say trying Winfield at nickel or sitting him behind Harrison and Anthony.  

Juston Burris is getting paid $4 million next year, no freaking way Alexander is not way better than Juston Burris at CB.  I wish they would have kept him but like others have said maybe they were not sold on him being an outside corner and there is no reason to believe he could do that, they barely even tried him at that spot.  Odd he picks Cinci though if he wants to be an outside corner because he would have to beat out Jackson, Kirkpatrick and Waynes for the spot and was clearly brought in to play the slot because Waynes is not going to do it.  

I do not have a ton of faith in Holton Hill honestly so even if we draft a CB he is still a massive question.  But at least they got Harris for a year I suppose potentially and he is the best of those big three FA DBs.  Kearse being gone is not a big deal but he only got $2.75 for one year which is not much either.  Curious they would let both of those guys go for one year, $6.75 million combined.  Both with experience in the defense and both with experience at nickel.  

Hopefully they sign a FA corner but not sure how much money they even have left.  A rookie corner would be great but they need experience at that ever important position.  

Maybe the 49ers want to get rid of Ahkello Witherspoon, I would be interested in that possibly with how well Zimmer works with big long corners.  Then again I would rather have his teammate Emmanuel Moseley but doubt they trade him.  And apparently if Rhodes clears this FA period and waivers they could resign him for much less.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Bill Belichick?  Face it now, though, which roster would you rather have...the Vikings...or the Patriots?  The Patriots, without Tom Brady, might be a 6-win team.

All part of Bill's plan to draft the next great Patriots QB.