Should the Draft be Shorter?

PossibleCabbage

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

No, I didn't. 

So why is 7 the correct number of rounds, and not 12 or 15 or 6 or 5?  I mean, if they were to do away with compensatory picks, there would be 224 picks instead of 256, and there are certainly reasons for eliminating the compensatory pick system, so if we did that would we need to add an 8th round?

25 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So why is 7 the correct number of rounds, and not 12 or 15 or 6 or 5?  I mean, if they were to do away with compensatory picks, there would be 224 picks instead of 256, and there are certainly reasons for eliminating the compensatory pick system, so if we did that would we need to add an 8th round?

I'm not sure you actually have a point you're arguing towards. Do YOU have a satisfactory number of rounds and picks in mind? Maybe I overlooked that out of boredom, or something. 

What are the reasons for eliminating the compensatory pick system? I can't really think of any, off-hand. It's a good way to help lighten the systemic penalty imposed on teams which draft well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think UDFAs make teams and make an impact with some regularity is in fact a strong argument that the 7th round, at least, is unnecessary. 

By extension of that argument though, you could just do away with the draft altogether and let the whole thing be a "free for all" UDFA format.  You'd get even more undrafted guys making the team with regularity, and making an impact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

What are the reasons for eliminating the compensatory pick system? I can't really think of any, off-hand. It's a good way to help lighten the systemic penalty imposed on teams which draft well. 

So the reason to eliminate comp picks is that it is chilling free agency, especially when it comes to 4-6 year veterans.  For these guys the vet minimum put them above the threshold for counting in comp pick formula so teams refuse to sign them until after they stop counting (like next week), and even so are only willing to offer on year deals so they can pocket a comp pick if they have a good year.  In fact, teams have so thoroughly gamed the compensatory pick system that all contracts now are just a series of options, so you never need to cut anyone (and thereby lose a comp pick for it). 

Just the fact that it hurts mid-level veterans should be enough for the NFLPA to want to get rid of it (and remember, CBA talks are ongoing/upcoming), but the system doesn't even function as intended, since a third round pick the year after next in no way makes up for losing a really good player. 

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

By extension of that argument though, you could just do away with the draft altogether and let the whole thing be a "free for all" UDFA format.  You'd get even more undrafted guys making the team with regularity, and making an impact.

Sure, but the point of the draft is to promote competitive balance, parity by

• ensuring roughly speaking the worst teams get the best players.
  • ensuring that teams do not have a significant advantage/disadvantage due to location.

If we abolished the draft and made it a free for all this would be workable, we'd run into issues where the best players would want to sign with already good teams in attractive locations.  As a result the NFL would be a less compelling product (I mean, Superteams haven't done the NBA any favors).  But I suspect we accomplish this with the first four or five rounds of the draft and relatively little is gained by preventing Jaquan Johnson or Isaac Nauta from choosing where they want to play.  Plus doing away with the draft would hurt the draft as an entertainment product, but the back end of the draft is simply not very entertaining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomont said:

No it wouldn't. Thanks for confirming this thread is played out.

"Nuh uh" is not an argument.  NFL teams still have a salary cap, so if you just made all the college kids free agents at the start of the league year (same time the vets became free agents) teams would just have to weigh "do we sign Landon Collins or Johnathan Abram?" or "how cheaper is Josh Jacobs than Lev Bell?".  Now this wouldn't be better than the current system (but it would make that first day of free agency super fun), but it would technically work.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

"Nuh uh" is not an argument.  NFL teams still have a salary cap, so if you just made all the college kids free agents at the start of the league year (same time the vets became free agents) teams would just have to weigh "do we sign Landon Collins or Johnathan Abram?" or "how cheaper is Josh Jacobs than Lev Bell?".  Now this wouldn't be better than the current system (but it would make that first day of free agency super fun), but it would technically work.

I would definitely be interesting but id think there would be an even larger chasm between the best and worst teams

On 30/04/2019 at 12:17 AM, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like there is a minimum time you need to allow for making a pick to make sure teams can figure out stuff like - he's still available, he's still alive, he will show up at minicamp. So 3 minutes would make it tough.

None of those are issues for when they are on the clock. 

It's already down to 4 mins for round 7, so cutting it to 3 for rounds 6 and 7 wouldn't be an issue

I generally think it's fine. You can save half hour by shaving a little time off day 3 picks, but I wouldn't shorten day 1, it's nice to have interviews etc. I would cut out the bad Drew Pearson impressions though. Tell the announcers to either do something original or just announce it. 

I wouldn't be against having more on screen advertising if it reduced the number of actual ad breaks. There seemed less interviews and discussion than ever this year

On 30/04/2019 at 1:52 AM, LinderFournette said:

id do 5 minutes for day 1(unless pick is traded then give the trading team 2 additional minutes. day 2 i feel like 4 minutes should be adequate time to select a guy and entertain trade offers. 3 for day 3 seems good.  

i would make round 1 and 2 day 1. 3 and 4 day 2. 5 6 and 7 day 3 as it would shorten the draft times

That wouldn't work. 

5 mins isn't enough for walk ons and interviews etc