Should the Draft be Shorter?

PossibleCabbage

I feel like all the whinging about "how long it takes" to actually make the picks is completely missing the point.  There are thousands of people who spend an entire year figuring out what order to take these guys.  The first round is done with fanfare for the players and mostly for the fans.  Even the 2nd and 3rd rounds have had the fanfare expanded to give the fans something to get excited and argue over.

The 4th round on is just pure scouts day.  Who cares if it takes all day Saturday and they add Sunday too?  The only fans who have a ******* clue who they're drafting on those days are addicted to the draft anyway and would probably welcome more.

Honestly, i think if anything...the rising number and quality of UDFAs is probably indicative that they should look at re-expanding the draft if anything.  More rounds.

As the original question so elegantly explained...the purpose of the draft is to distribute the entry players more evenly so the best/richest teams don't just continue to nab all the best players and continue to gain an advantage just for being rich/successful.  But with so many high quality UDFAs hitting the market...i think it's important to look at how that's actually working when it comes to later round players.

This 2019 draft had the most absurdly talented crew of UDFA players i can remember.  But we had teams spending basically the entirety of Day 3 looking like they were trying to just draft players they didn't know if they'd be able to sign as UDFAs, rather than just drafting the best players.  Post-draft, there was a real flow of top talent toward the "Top NFL Teams" in prominent markets.  To me, that's an indication that there aren't enough rounds to equally distribute the choices of talent coming out every year anymore.  

I mean, at the end of the day...we still have the cutdown mechanics that free players up to all sort of takers.  If they don't make one team...they'll still have a chance to make another.  But i feel like the same cries to "shorten the draft" are the same people who don't understand why the preseason shouldn't be shortened.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I like the number of picks, just wish we could speed up the time in between picks. I personally love watching 15+ hours of draft, but I know I am in the 0.01% of people who do outside this board.

If they speed up the picks(which is fine to change) they need to completely overhaul how they broadcast bc after a while they get 5+ picks behind and are still talking about pick 200 while we’re already on pick 212

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If they speed up the picks(which is fine to change) they need to completely overhaul how they broadcast bc after a while they get 5+ picks behind and are still talking about pick 200 while we’re already on pick 212

Yeah.  If you're speeding up Day2/3 of the draft just to appease the fans, but already falling behind on the broadcast as is...what the heck are you even doing?  Like...who is that even benefiting?

It's idiotic to "speed up" the draft.  Full stop.  Complete nonsense.

These teams have spent years and multi-millions in an effort to build their rosters
If you can't keep paying attention, turn off the TV or record it for high- speed viewing later

Asking the NFL to change their roster-building program to suit your limited attention span is absurd

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Asking the NFL to change their roster-building program to suit your limited attention span is absurd

I am just suggesting that it does not take 256 picks to exhaust the number of players with "draftable" grades and/or the number of players who need to be prevented from choosing their destination in order to preserve competitive balance.

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I am just suggesting that it does not take 256 picks to exhaust the number of players with "draftable" grades and/or the number of players who need to be prevented from choosing their destination in order to preserve competitive balance.

Got it.
Most of the conversation has revolved around how many minutes teams should be allotted in each round, little to do with competitive balance
The reverse order draft is the foundation of the success of the NFL. Shortening it seems like a answer in search of a problem

23 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like there is a minimum time you need to allow for making a pick to make sure teams can figure out stuff like - he's still available, he's still alive, he will show up at minicamp. So 3 minutes would make it tough.

MLB used to do a 50 round draft in a couple of hours. And they were drafting high school kids. I think three minutes a pick is plenty. 

I figure more 7th round guys would actually have a real chance of having an NFL career if they are able to choose their landing place, and that's important.  It's likewise important to prevent all the players from picking their destination, since bad teams and less desirable destinations should have a fair shot at really good players, but it seems to me like 7 rounds is overkill.  Like if we're using late picks solely to grab PFA grade guys who would not have chosen to go there if they had a choice, we really don't need to protect that, since "priority free agents" are unlikely to tip competitive balance very much.

36 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

And yet tons of undrafted players enter the league, become starters, and/or stars. Kurt Warner, Wes Welker, Malcolm Butler, Adam Thielen, ect.