Prospect X/Drew Forbes/Job Stealer of Desmond Harrison

mistakey

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

They seem rarer than zone blocking guys would be my only thing.

To me zone blocking guys are like ballerinas.

I would rather have smash-mouth maulers.

39 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Where did you get that? 

I heard shanny loved bitonio and rated him as one of his best zone blocking guards. 

Bitonio could easily ask for a raise if he has another season without injury.

It was On an insider thing.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

To me zone blocking guys are like ballerinas.

I would rather have smash-mouth maulers.

They could wear skirts for all I care, when we were hitting 5.0 ypc against the Steelers under shanny I was freaking pumped.

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Our line is a bit mixed between what type of runs would work best bitonio, Harrison, tretter, hubbard, zone blocking. 

Corbett, Robinson more mauling types.

You could have maulers in zone blocking schemes. You just can’t have dudes with slow feet and hips. 

Once you look into your man in zone, you can maul his arse right into the ground

14 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Why the hell has there been so much trade bitinio talk recently it’s asinine 

Wont happen this year but its pretty evident next offseason, my first time seeing him in the highlights, my first thought was he is a Bitonio clone.

The only way we trade Bitonio is if we end up in another rebuild.  He has a fairly team friendly contract.  The top 10 guards all make over 10 mill per year on average.  So unless his play slips, he gets injured, or someone offers up a lot more than he is worth, I think he will be playing his contract out here in Cleveland. 

8 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

The only way we trade Bitonio is if we end up in another rebuild.  He has a fairly team friendly contract.  The top 10 guards all make over 10 mill per year on average.  So unless his play slips, he gets injured, or someone offers up a lot more than he is worth, I think he will be playing his contract out here in Cleveland. 

I definitely don't believe he will be playing his contract out here.  It all depends on how much money we have and who we are replacing.

Unfortunately Bitonio, though very good, is in a very replaceable position, and not one worth spending a ton of money on...

Next year we could save 9 million dollars by letting him go, the year after we could save 10 million, both years seeing no cap ramifications.

If by that time, say Drew Forbes, shows that he can be an adequate replacement, I could of course see us letting Bitonio walk...

The value is going to be used at WR, QB, CB and Pass Rushers.  We are going to pay to keep Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Myles Garrett, maybe Larry Ogunjobi if he progresses.

If some of that money eats into our salary cap enough that we need to release players like Joel Bitonio, Christian Kirksey, Demarious Randall, then unfortunately it is what it is.

That is what we are using draft picks for now, to replace guys who will become too expensive to keep...

I dont think it's too crazy to think at some point Bitonio could get traded. The NFL is about flash, which teams are able to reload, cut cap space and still produce a championship roster year in and year out

Only a few positions aren't expendable and it really puts things into perspective when you have elite young talent at those positions that are going to require huge contracts

As long as we have Baker we're always going to be in contention. Patriots have been doing it for years, they always field a solid yet unspectacular team and push for a Super Bowl. They dont have that luxury without Brady

Randall and Kirksey are definitely expendable.  You want to bring them back, but you aren't paying top money for those positions unless they are the top players, and you have holes everywhere else.  

And you are not going to give up offensive linemen that are playing near the top of their positions.  9 mill seems like a lot, but its not when they are protecting your 100+ mill QB.  

The salary cap is going to keep going up.  Guards 25-15 make 5-9 mill a year right now.  That will likely go up next year.  If Bitonio continues to play at a high level they are not going to foolishly trade him.  Can they trade him?  Sure.  But they won't unless the compensation is right, and they have someone behind him they know is going to be plug and play.  

I do not believe this front office is inept as previous where they let top 15 players at their position walk(Ala Scwhartz and Mack).   Again his salary is not exorbitant currently.  I think we will continue looking for a new LT in the draft.  If we end up finding a top LT in FA, my stance will likely change. 

The Browns had roughly $35 million tied up in the offensive  line in 2018.  The Cowboys who have arguably one of the top 3 in league spent almost $45 million.  Until we add a long term LT I don't see Bitonio in an jeopardy of going anywhere.  

I wouldn't say in jeopardy, the guy is a stud. Baker and Garrett both have 100+ mill contracts coming in a few years, at that point is when I think Bitonio could be gone, I'm not talking in the immediate future or anything, thatd be foolish no doubt

That being said, I think ultimately they'll follow the blueprint other teams are laying, which is letting really good players go at the end of their contract for compensatory picks

It's evident to me that with the contracts getting so big, you'll want as many picks as you can get to counter these big money deals to stay a contender

Seahawks signed Wilson, traded Clark to Chiefs because they couldn't pay him (or possibly didnt want to) but you could argue they got worse due to that contract

Archived