NFL Lead Investigator Recommended No Suspension For Elliot

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

What Hernandez situation? The murders happened after the Patriots drafted him, and then the Patriots cut him as soon as he was accused. Teams draft problem players all the time. Stop trolling.

Hernandez had shady associates coaches were aware of well before he was drafted. But that's another discussion for another thread.

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

The way I see it, out of Ezekiel Elliott, Tiffany Thompson and Roger Goodell, Elliott has the most credibility (even if his isn't that high).

I'd say the investigator has the most credibility as a (supposedly) neutral third party, and she recommended no suspension and was subsequently boxed out.

Goodell was smart separating himself from that decision. Heads will roll, but not his.

CDDolphin, I'm not so sure on that. When you arrogate to the amount of control he has, you also take on the responsibility for things that happen under your watch. Plenty of less deserving CEOs have been fired over way smaller breaches of trust.

All with the caveat that what is being reported is true. I'm honestly having trouble getting my head around the idea that anyone thought proceeding like this was a good idea.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I'd say the investigator has the most credibility as a (supposedly) neutral third party, and she recommended no suspension and was subsequently boxed out.

Goodell was smart separating himself from that decision. Heads will roll, but not his.

Agreed if you want to include her in the list.

Goodell trying to separate himself from the conclusion of one of the lead investigators further harms his credibility. I'm not sure how that could be considered "smart," even if it is something he's allowed to do. IMO, it only strengthens Elliott's argument that his punishment was a foregone conclusion, and the investigation was a sham.

2 minutes ago, Dirk Gently said:

CDDolphin, I'm not so sure on that. When you arrogate to the amount of control he has, you also take on the responsibility for things that happen under your watch. Plenty of less deserving CEOs have been fired over way smaller breaches of trust.

All with the caveat that what is being reported is true. I'm honestly having trouble getting my head around the idea that anyone thought proceeding like this was a good idea.

Seems like Lisa Friel (senior vice president for investigations) is being set up as the fall-guy (woman). She was the one that barred the investigator from meeting with Goodell or the "independent" experts.

Anyone else think it's a little ironic that the investigator who recommended no suspension for Zeke was a lady (Kia Roberts)? Yeesh, this stuff is better than fiction.

LOL, and Roger Goodell is getting a nice EXTENSION from the league. This league is a borderline Soap Opera/Reality TV show right now. 

It just goes to show, the owners/GM/most in the NFL care only about a couple things:

1. Making LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2. Their public image at all costs

3. Covering their backside so that image doesn't look "tarnished"

4. Looking like they care about player safety

5. Looking like they care about DV and other legal issues

196. Caring about DV/other issues

197. Actual player safety

...in that order.

47 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

That's because Belichick knew about the Hernandez situation before he was ever drafted, via his buddy Urban Meyer.

Meh, don't want to derail the thread, but Meyer said he "couldn't believe it" when he first heard about the Hernandez incident. He told BB to keep an eye on him, but I suspect that that had as much to do with his marijuana-red flag, more so than his murderer-red flag. 

Point remains, teams have either refused to sign or cut players that they don't feel fit their image/standards, despite a lack of 100% certainty. Some have shown leniency or lower standards. The situation was different, but Big Ben wasn't found guilty either - and that was before the NFL decided to pull a Raegan and "get tough on crime". 

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

I agree, Josh Brown should get more games.

Josh brown and ray rice lost their careers.  Adrian Peterson and Greg hardy lost a year.  Cowboys star running back gets 6 games and it's an injustice somehow.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

LOL, and Roger Goodell is getting a nice EXTENSION from the league.

That extension has yet to be finalized.

As for him getting credit for making the league money? The owners are making the money no matter what puppet they slap the commissioner label on.  Goodell is a lawyer by trade, not some business tycoon. The owners only need him to be the face (punching bag) for the league.  He knows that at any given time he can be discarded.

3 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

That extension has yet to be finalized.

As for him getting credit for making the league money? The owners are making the money no matter what puppet they slap the commissioner label on.  Goodell is a lawyer by trade, not some business tycoon. The owners only need him to be the face (punching bag) for the league.  He knows that at any given time he can be discarded.

I didn't say that Goodell was getting credit for making the league money or even insinuate that. I said that ALL the league cares about is making money. That's the problem with cutting the entire context of the point I was trying to make and then taking that top quote out of context.

10 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Josh brown and ray rice lost their careers...  Cowboys star running back gets 6 games and it's an injustice somehow.

I wasn't aware that Zeke admitted to ~20 counts of DV or a video catching him in the act has surfaced.  

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I didn't say that Goodell was getting credit for making the league money or even insinuate that. I said that ALL the league cares about is making money. That's the problem with cutting the entire context of the point I was trying to make and then taking that top quote out of context.

I apologize for that assertion.  I read your post too quickly and thought I you were leading down the well-traveled road about how "Goodell is making the owners rich".

Archived