Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

My problem with all the new threads is i dont want to have to search through 18 different threads going back and forth to find the conversation that i am looking for because they are spread out. we literally have a thread for "this ain't bears talk," which would have been perfect for the "let me talk about what i think about other teams" that started this whole thing off. keep a subject in a thread and talk about it in that thread, don't start multiple threads over the same subject. if one of the threads starts getting off topic, for instance a thread about trubisky that turns into a page or two talking about shaheen, then by all means, create a new thread. 

additionally, by creating so many new threads about the same topic, it pushes existing threads that have already had a conversation started about them further down the board, making the whole thing far more cluttered. it kills conversations because people then have to move to a new thread to continue it, and we lose the continuance, like what happened in our random bear thoughts thread. 

you talk about people seeing the same threads day after day then wanting to leave, but if it's the same thread but it is adding pages, then its a conversation, who is going to wander off from that. I've been on this board for over a decade, and honestly this is turning me off. cool that this aint your first rodeo and you've seen it on other threads. the problem, again, is that people do want to respond, and so they do, and the conversation moves from one thread to another with no continuance. 

that is my issue, that is why i am sensitive about new threads. it clutters things, kills conversations, and makes things less organized.

Like I posted.  I've been doing it this way for over 15 years including on two sites where I helped begin their existence and also served on the staff of.  New content draws new members and holds current members interest.  It's a proven technique used in all media.

As to the rest anyone who wishes to continue a conversation in or add to an older thread can do so even if it's fallen off page one.  I've done that here several times as well as in other forums and once again that thread is back on page one and in play if you wish.

It's all about options brother.  It doesn't have to be one way only just to please you alone.  The feedback I'm getting from new threads tends to tell me others do enjoy and support new content so should I disappoint them only to satisfy your needs for less "clutter"?

If it's current and topical why is it even considered clutter?  Would you subscribe to a daily newspaper that carries the same stories every day but simply adds new content or chapters to those as new information is available?  Of course not and no one else would either.

Headlines draw attention and in a basic sense new threads are headlines announcing a new story or additional news about an old one. I don't see the harm in reading or posting to new content nor do I have an issue with anyone resurrecting old content with new posts unless it's a zombie thread that's several years old and I have yet to see that happen here but have on other sites I belong to.

If a new thread truly duplicates an older one the simple solution is for a staff member to merge the two.  That's how it's always been done on any other forum I've been a member of.  In fact as a staff member I've done it many times myself whenever it made sense to do so.

I realize that compared to you and others I'm a relative newbie here but I am not a relative newbie to football forums or Chicago Bears football.  I'm guessing I've been a Bears fan for longer than many here have been alive so I do have knowledge to contribute.

If my posting style and/or habits are a huge problem for the majority then let me know and I'll be happy to leave and join another site where I may be a better fit.  I'm not here to piss anyone off but I'm also not so insecure that one man's opinion will send me scurrying for cover.  So within the limits of common sense I intend to keep adding new threads whenever it seems appropriate.

I believe we can both co-exist if you take my suggestion to simply resurrect any older thread in which you have an interest or an ongoing conversation with a new post and simply ignore any newer thread I post.  You know we can eat at the same restaurant or drink at the same bar without ordering the same meal from the menu or same drink from the bartender.  We all have those same options right?

happy0180.gif

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

On the topic of threads, let the mods do their job.  They will decide if a thread is redundant or what not.  Webby actually wants more specific threads and feels that helps drive the conversation.  As long as site rules arent being broken it really makes no difference.  If you want to respond to a specific conversation, the notifications feature works really as well as following.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

On the topic of threads, let the mods do their job.  They will decide if a thread is redundant or what not.  Webby actually wants more specific threads and feels that helps drive the conversation.  As long as site rules arent being broken it really makes no difference.  If you want to respond to a specific conversation, the notifications feature works really as well as following.  

That's typically been my position and if by chance the staff chooses to merge a thread I start I never object or get butt hurt.  I've done it myself many times as a staff member of other forums.

As I said there are many options available to all of us as far as how threads and posting are manged personally.  It's not at all difficult to resurrect an older thread by simply posting to it.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

That's typically been my position and if by chance the staff chooses to merge a thread I start I never object or get butt hurt.  I've done it myself many times as a staff member of other forums.

As I said there are many options available to all of us as far as how threads and posting are manged personally.  It's not at all difficult to resurrect an older thread by simply posting to it.

That is not something that webby wants to happen.  But you are correct.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soulman said:

I realize that compared to you and others I'm a relative newbie here but I am not a relative newbie to football forums or Chicago Bears football.  I'm guessing I've been a Bears fan for longer than many here have been alive so I do have knowledge to contribute.

Are we doing a "geezer-off" between us, now? :D

I cut down your long post to that as I totally agree with your vibe as to the rest of it. I was a moderator on a very active forum for a very long time, and I can attest that what you're putting forward is FACT. And folks need to chill. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That is not something that webby wants to happen.  But you are correct.  

Typically no one wants to see multiple threads constantly being resurrected in any forum but there are instances when it may make sense and it happens occasionally.  It's the aging zombies from the distant past that should be avoided and a new thread on that topic begun.

In this instance I was just trying to meet Huskie's objection with a suggestion that might resolve it.  For my part I don't intend to stop adding new content whenever I find some I feel may be of interest to the forum as a whole.  IME new content is the fuel for new responses.

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Are we doing a "geezer-off" between us, now? :D

I cut down your long post to that as I totally agree with your vibe as to the rest of it. I was a moderator on a very active forum for a very long time, and I can attest that what you're putting forward is FACT. And folks need to chill. 

Heinz at a certain age it's no contest.  Once we've reached it we officially become Geezer's for the rest of our lives.  character0032.gif  sign0190.gif  icon_rofl.gif

• Like 1

Okay watching MT mic'd up at OTA's  

My take away?  Tyler Bray is a monster and MT is small for an NFL QB.  Daniel is just tiny. He doesnt look like he belongs at all. 

I honestly cant remember watching Bray play in any kind of evaluative sense.  Did he play a bunch in pre season? 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Okay watching MT mic'd up at OTA's  

My take away?  Tyler Bray is a monster and MT is small for an NFL QB.  Daniel is just tiny. He doesnt look like he belongs at all. 

I honestly cant remember watching Bray play in any kind of evaluative sense.  Did he play a bunch in pre season? 

As I recall he played quite a bit in one game and looked like he could handle a backup job somewhere.  Maybe even here in 2020.

Mitch is 6'3"/220lbs so he's actually about the same size as Cutler was.  That's pretty average for an NFL QB these days.

Bray is 6'6" so he kinda dwarfs the other two (Daniels is only 6') but he's about the same weight give or take.  He's got a cannon for an arm but like Cutler has not shown the kind of consistency you'd want from a top starter.

If Nagy and his staff can find a way to make a more consistent player out of him he may end up being a decent # 2 for us.

This kid absolutely nailed these videos.  These videos are the ones I wanted to make had I more time and editing skills.  He must be son of a coach or was well coached by someone.  Or maybe he went and learned on his own.  He is making better points than anyone on ESPN or Good Morning Football or most other major shows. 

• Like 1