The Batman

Acgott

The Hush storyline is out with a 10 episode cap IMO. I also think the Batfamily is out for the most part. You arent going to be able to tell 4 Robin stories and Barbara in half the time. 

Just because its 22 episodes does not mean it will be like Arrow or Gotham. 

26 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Just because its 22 episodes does not mean it will be like Arrow or Gotham. 

Find me a great Prestige Drama that is 22 eps within the last decade? Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Atlanta, Veep, The Americans... These are all in the same vein, and they tell MASSIVE stories in like 6-7-8 seasons. You could definitely do that.

The last ones that got the full 22+ ep treatment were Lost which started 15 years ago, 24 that started almost 20 years ago (and inherently needs 24 episodes), and The West Wing which kicked off before the Millennium.

38 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The Hush storyline is out with a 10 episode cap IMO. I also think the Batfamily is out for the most part. You arent going to be able to tell 4 Robin stories and Barbara in half the time. 

I think I may have crossed ideas here, If you were going to actually do just the recreations of the epic Stories from Batmans history, then yes, you just make however many are needed for those. Hush needs more than 10, but there are other stories that might only need 8. If you are going to do a more 'original' series, with influences from these story arcs, you can leave it at like 12ep seasons, have things build from season to season, and not need to completely end things at the conclusion of each season.

35 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Hush needs more than 10, but there are other stories that might only need 8. If you are going to do a more 'original' series

If you noticed I cut my seasons into halves based on storylines. Hush is out not because you couldnt do it in 10, but because you need to establish his entire rogues gallery before you do it. You cant do that in 10 episode season because they need to have a really tight focus on the overarching narrative. 

If you had 10 to 12 hour long episodes, you could absolutely tell any quality Batman story in that amount of time. I don't like the 22 Episodes suggestion, because you need too many Filler episodes and plots that distract from the main story. Some filler content that supplements the main story is okay, but every single CW superhero show has suffered in a huge way due to having to fill 22 hour long episodes.

I know Batman has a wealth of more content and backstory, but I think 12 episodes would be plenty, per season... Pending you had eight to 10 seasons to really flesh it out.

11 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

So perhaps i need some education but what’s with the arbitrary episodes in a season (13,22) why can’t it be say 15? 

I think those have been the standard episode lengths used for superhero shows that have come out recently (22-Arrowverse, 13-Marvel Netflix). 15 would be perfect.

11 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

So perhaps i need some education but what’s with the arbitrary episodes in a season (13,22) why can’t it be say 15? 

Those are often the Standard runs for TV shows in general for the US. You either get the 22ep run (which is sometimes 23 with a double episode thrown in) and those tend to be lower quality as you need to spread the season story arch over all those episodes. Or the more prestige shows, which get the 10-13 show run depending on the network. They are bigger budget and tend to be considered more "prestige" shows.

There is noting wrong at all with a 15 episode run, but its just not all that common in US TV making. Now British TV often just films what is needed, and doesnt care all that much how many Eps it ends up being (obviously within budget) but with how we sell advertising, if this wasnt on Premium Cable or a Subscription service, then it would have to fall into one of those formats.

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Those are often the Standard runs for TV shows in general for the US. You either get the 22ep run (which is sometimes 23 with a double episode thrown in) and those tend to be lower quality as you need to spread the season story arch over all those episodes. Or the more prestige shows, which get the 10-13 show run depending on the network. They are bigger budget and tend to be considered more "prestige" shows.

There is noting wrong at all with a 15 episode run, but its just not all that common in US TV making. Now British TV often just films what is needed, and doesnt care all that much how many Eps it ends up being (obviously within budget) but with how we sell advertising, if this wasnt on Premium Cable or a Subscription service, then it would have to fall into one of those formats.

The other reason for the 13 ep format - it allows a clear 3-month run for a TV show with only 4 weeks without airing to get into the Nielsen ratings for the 2 sweeps months (Feb & May) - for shows that air in the New Year.   A lot of shows don't run Super Bowl week and take a break for March Madness, so it works out pretty well.  The 22 ep format allows shows to air for the fall Sweeps months, too (usually taking the summer off).

The problem with the 22-ep format is for shows that have arcs, there's a ton of filler eps.  The main reason why fans don't mind the 13 ep format (or even 10) is that the filler is just removed.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The shorter seasons are becoming more popular, especially since those shows are usually pumping out higher quality content.

I only want a Batman show if its higher budget.   I have zero interest in Batman on CW or anything like that.  The Arrowverse has become completely garbage.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 3:23 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

The failures of BvS and JL had nothing to do with the villains being super powered...they were just poorly done.

It was an issue that I had with the films though. I was so bored by the villain in BvS. Lex Luthor was a little biznitch and the main monster (can't even remember his name) was just too powerful. It made it very boring. Like the dude would blink and destroy cities. That was certainly not the main reason those movies sucked, but it definitely was a factor for me.

I really liked Man of Steel. And I didn't LOATHE BvS, but I found it to be very "meh". I expected WAYYY more out of a movie that contained both Batman and Superman. How did they screw that up so badly? And Suicide Squad was just bad. Someone on here put it best a while back: It felt like a 90's video game where you just take out goons until you hit the final boss in each stage. Just boring and predictable. The only thing that was good about that movie was the fap material that Margot Robbie provided. She's a 1,000/10. Aquaman and Wonder Woman were good, but Marvel is kicking the bejesus out of DC right now and it's not even close. I used to be on team DC during Nolan's Batman days and Man of Steel, but Marvel has bent them over a chair with no lube for close to a decade now.

Another thing that annoys me about these movies is that they don't know how to sprinkle goofiness into it. They made their universe extremely dark. That's totally fine, but that means you can't drop in the same goofy 1-liners that you see in Marvel movies. Every "joke" has seemingly fallen flat in the recent DC movies.

I really miss Christopher Nolan. That dude was so freaking good doing superhero movies. I wish he became the Kevin Feige of the DC universe.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

It was an issue that I had with the films though. I was so bored by the villain in BvS. Lex Luthor was a little biznitch and the main monster (can't even remember his name) was just too powerful. It made it very boring. Like the dude would blink and destroy cities. That was certainly not the main reason those movies sucked, but it definitely was a factor for me.

Again, it was how they were done.

Lex was laughably miscast, poorly written and directed and the motives driving his character to hate Superman were a ******* joke.    Go look at Superman or Justice League Animated Series to see how Lex should be done.   It wouldnt be hard, but WB finds away to make it seem hard.

Darkseid is SUPPOSED to be overly powerful...and in most cases, is a boring character.   However, the problem with him in this movie was that they tried to put 8 different storylines in one movie, and it ended up being wasted.   The Death of Superman could have been done much much better and had a far greater impact.   But since WB wanted to catch up to Marvel, they decided to cram a bunch of stories and character development into one movie, and it fell flat.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I really miss Christopher Nolan. That dude was so freaking good doing superhero movies. I wish he became the Kevin Feige of the DC universe.

Meh.

He did amazing with Begins and TDK.   I thought TDKR completely fell apart in the 3rd act and kind of ruined the movie.    Man of Steel was okay, but the tone was too grim for a Superman movie.   There was no levity outside of a few bad jokes.     

Honestly, I think the Dark Knight Trilogy hurt the current DC universe....because WB was scared to venture too far away from that darker tone because of the success of the Batman movies AND the failures of movies like Batman & Robin and Green Lantern.    On top of that, I think they were trying to be different from Marvel.    However, it just didnt work.   I mean, you can have a Superman movie be darker, but it still needs to make Superman feel like Superman, and while I absolutely enjoyed parts of Man of Steel....it felt too pretentious for a Superman movie .  It was trying to take itself more seriously than it should have.   Oh....and Goyer's dialogue was laughably bad.

Bottom line....they have never had the right group of people to make the DC universe really come to life on the big screen....and I dont think they ever will. 

4 hours ago, August4th said:

https://deadline.com/2019/05/robert-pattinson-batman-wins-role-warner-bros-1202624926/

confirmed, also this article mentions options for two more films, so it looks like this might be the start of a new trilogy

While I'm willing to give him a chance, I'm not optimistic.  Not even so much because of RP, but there is just no real reason to be.