2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

20 hours ago, DreamKid said:

A good reminder from Ken on why off ball LB is so devalued, especially in our defense. 

I'm this corner too. I'd be honestly surprised if we took Murray or Queen in the first. I'm doubtful that we see a 3-down MLB next year. Chuck Clark is probably going to continue to carry the green dot. Also, if we are lucky enough to get a healthy Deshon Elliot, then we should see a lot of 3 safety looks. We spent a lot of capital to build our secondary and now we just built a wall of a D-line. I think we are going to fill in and rotate the middle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm this corner too. I'd be honestly surprised if we took Murray or Queen in the first. I'm doubtful that we see a 3-down MLB next year. Chuck Clark is probably going to continue to carry the green dot. Also, if we are lucky enough to get a healthy Deshon Elliot, then we should see a lot of 3 safety looks. We spent a lot of capital to build our secondary and now we just built a wall of a D-line. I think we are going to fill in and rotate the middle.

Very much agreed. I would ultimately prefer the R1 pick to be one of EDGE, OL, DL, S (maybe WR) 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I think no question we need to shore up both spots.

My comparisons with him to TJ Watt are from a technique standpoint, he’s so multiple in his pass rush move set. Also from an overall movement standpoint. I would also compare him to Von Miller and Clay Matthews in those aspects. Miller was probably the most freaky of that skillset and Watt the strongest.

So while Zack Baun is not as strong as TJ Watt was coming out, I believe he will challenge the other aspects of the above players’ athletic profiles.

I think he puts up a sub 7.00s 3-cone, gets close to a sub 4 short shuttle, around 20 reps on the bench, and runs a sub 4.7 forty. Though it wouldn’t completely shock me if Baun runs a sub 4.6 forty. If he does we might have to trade up for him rather than trading down for him.

But yeah, I’m hoping we answer the defensive interior spot with a hungry veteran. Calais Campbell is most ideal, but with no guarantee that he gets released, Gerald McCoy, and then Marcell Dareus would hopefully be on our radar as backup candidates (assuming Dareus can be had for less money than Michael Pierce). With either route, we would still need to add depth in the draft. Obviously I’m in the Justin Madubuike club on that front if he falls to our second. Think he’s also worth trading up for.

With all that’s going on in the world, I honestly didn’t realize that Wisconsin had their pro day on 3/8. Zack Baun was able to improve upon his combine short shuttle number and go from a shocking 4.31s time down to 4.08s time. I know Proday 40 times are generally much faster, but IIRC the short shuttle is hand timed at the combine. Either way 11.31s agility score would be somewhere around 85th percentile for an edge, but considering the adjusted SS time a 11.08s agility score is the same as Clay Matthews and would put him at 95th percentile. Perhaps averaging the SS times would be most fair however; at 11.20 that would still put him above 90th percentile.

40 yard dash: 84th percentile; Speed Score: 60th percentile; Burst score: 41st percentile (smh); Agility Score: 95th percentile; Bench Press: 55th percentile. 

Certainly not a bad athletic profile and with his strength with his technique and hand fighting, he’s definitely an 8+ sack option from day one if he gets the opportunities. As a pass rusher I think he’s largely ready to go. We could use him a lot like how Suggs was used as a rookie.

• Like 1

After @Danand and a few others hyped this guy up around these parts I finally got a chance to watch some of his tape. Surprised he’s not getting more hyped then he is, this guy looks like a clone of Earl Thomas coming out of Texas. Shorter stocky safety that can deliver a wallop. Plays with excellent ball instincts.

Even down to the fact that both players are coming out as Redshirt Sophomores. Athletic testing at the combine:

Earl Thomas- 5’10” 208 lbs; 31 1/4” arms; 9 3/8” hands

40yd: 4.49s; 10yd: 1.62s; 32” vert; 9’5” broad

Antoine Winfield Jr- 5’9” 203 lbs; 30 1/8 arms; 9 1/2” hands

40yd: 4.46s; 10yd: ?; 36” vert; 10’4” broad

Thomas obviously has a little bit more length, but who better to learn from than ACTUAL Earl Thomas (though with his dad’s probowl routes AWJr is already pretty good on that front). He definitely fits the bill of looking like a Raven, I’ll have to watch more of him but if it holds true I could see him as a dark horse 1st. This is an excellent draft to have multiple so many day 2 picks within.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

I have him in all 1. round mocks I make for a danish board and have had him there for a while. With how we rotate, and now we need someone instead of Brandon Carr, Winfield could be an immediate 50-60% snaps per game guy and an eventual heir to the FS position. Even with a healthy DeShon Watson I believe there is room for both of them.

Winfield had his 2 big injuries, but that is the knock on him, and I don't see much else, as I don't put that much stock in that he is "lacking" 2 inches in height and 10 lbs in weight".

I think he, Baun, Gladney Darrell Taylor and Curtis Weaver are "ravens types of picks" in that 1-2 round.

24 minutes ago, Danand said:

With how we rotate, and now we need someone instead of Brandon Carr, Winfield could be an immediate 50-60% snaps per game guy and an eventual heir to the FS position. Even with a healthy DeShon Watson I believe there is room for both of them.

You think we could coax Bill O'Brian into a trade for Watson?

Flip him a 7th and Jaleel Scott for Watson. Then trade Watson to someone else for a couple 1s? Could work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

You think we could coax Bill O'Brian into a trade for Watson?

Flip him a 7th and Jaleel Scott for Watson. Then trade Watson to someone else for a couple 1s? Could work.

I just want to get Watson away from the Texans and put him in as a safety so he will get less hits. Poor guy

• Like 1

While I don't like it, we are really setting ourselves up for drafting a linebacker early. I saw the first Steelers game from last year, and it was evident that our offense completely stalled once Marquise Brown left the field. Based on that game and my general view on what we needed last year, I think we have to add speed at WR. That should either come from guys like Ruggs, Mims, Raegor, Hamler imo.

Later a Hightower from Boise could be an option, but I believe getting one of the other guys with our 2. Round pick would do ourselves a favor. At pass rusher we are pretty set with Ward, Bowser, Judon and Ferguson + either a draft pick or McPhee.

While I want OL early, I doubt the value is there at IOL unless we look at some tackle convert like we did with Osemele. I would want him back still as he has that position flexibility.

What are people's thoughts on Denzel Mims? As I'm looking at some of the WR options that might be available for us in the 1st and 2nd rounds, he strikes me a little as potentially being able to pull off an AJ Brown-like transition into the league. Seems like he's being dinged for coming from a developmentally unreliable offense but he seems a bit more refined than maybe he's given credit for, and the physical talents are obvious. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

What are people's thoughts on Denzel Mims? As I'm looking at some of the WR options that might be available for us in the 1st and 2nd rounds, he strikes me a little as potentially being able to pull off an AJ Brown-like transition into the league. Seems like he's being dinged for coming from a developmentally unreliable offense but he seems a bit more refined than maybe he's given credit for, and the physical talents are obvious. 

Personally, I sort of mentally prepared myself to really want an EDGE with R1, but if the value leads us to Mims, I wouldn't hate it at all.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Personally, I sort of mentally prepared myself to really want an EDGE with R1, but if the value leads us to Mims, I wouldn't hate it at all.

What about Ruiz at 28?? He is a slam dunk prospect in my opinion and we do have ties to Michigan!