Why is it so hard to see future dynasties like the Patriots and 49ers?

Championshiporbust

14 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

The combination of an elite coach, elite QB, and the other three teams in your division being trash for two decades is like hitting the lottery.

Winning their division is not the hard part. Both Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers did it. It is consistently in championship games and winning championships that is hard.

If Pats had been like what they were between 2007 and 2013, no one would have considered them as dynasty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, William Lee said:

Winning their division is not the hard part. Both Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers did it. It is consistently in championship games and winning championships that is hard.

If Pats had been like what they were between 2007 and 2013, no one would have considered them as dynasty.

The road to HFA becomes a whole lot easier when you're guaranteed 5 wins minimum in the division each year. The AFC in general was never that great during the Patriots dynasty either. The divisional round game was rarely against a great team. Having to beat Ben or Peyton in the championship game was the only real challenge.

1 minute ago, Art_Vandalay said:

The road to HFA becomes a whole lot easier when you're guaranteed 5 wins minimum in the division each year. The AFC in general was never that great during the Patriots dynasty either. The divisional round game was rarely against a great team. Having to beat Ben or Peyton in the championship game was the only real challenge.

That doesn't matter when your offense score 440 points in 16 games, that almost guarantees your team will go 5-1 or 4-2 in the division. 

BTW, AFCE is always tough on defense.

19 minutes ago, William Lee said:

That doesn't matter when your offense score 440 points in 16 games, that almost guarantees your team will go 5-1 or 4-2 in the division. 

BTW, AFCE is always tough on defense.

In your opinion, excluding Brady, who was the best QB in that division since 2001? Answer that question, and you'll see my point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Not sure what you refer to. You don't have stats to back up your statements.

Pats Pulpit used questionable stats to try to put the AFC East in a good light during the Brady-Belichick era. However, what they don't talk about is the amount of head coaches and QB's (starting at least one game) that those three teams have had since 2001. Also, the Three Stooges have been woeful since then in games against teams that would finish that season above .500.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

3 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

This is just patently false. The AFC was a bloodbath in the 2000's and to say it was weak shows me you either forgot or never knew what the NFL was like back then. Other than the Patriots the AFC consisted of: The Peyton Manning Colts, the Big Ben/Troy Polamalu Steelers, the Ray Lewis Ravens and the LT Chargers. That isn't to mention that other franchises like the Titans/Jets/Broncos/Chiefs/Jaguars also had some really good teams during this time.

To prove my point here is the head to head record between the AFC and NFC from 2001-2009

2001: 30-30 tie

2002: 34-30 AFC

2003: 34-30 AFC

2004: 44-20 AFC

2005: 34-30 AFC

2006: 40-24 AFC

2007: 32-32 tie

2008: 34-30 AFC

2009: 37-27 AFC

So in every season of this decade the AFC either beat the NFC or they evenly tied. In some seasons (2004 and 2006) it was extremely lopsided. 2004 is actually the most lopsided it has ever been in the history of the NFL and the Patriots still dominated their way through the AFC playoffs that season.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, it is. :/

I'm a little mixed up as to just how to respond to this topic, as so much is being jettisoned, knowledge-wise, just to bring it into existence. And leave the Warriors out of it. Not only a different league altogether, but a unique situation, even within that other league. 

Belichick is a genius, and Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever. That's the gist of it. What exactly I just claimed MEANS, I'm not going to get into that, as there is no point.

So...potential future dynasties? 

Right off the bat I'll go Ballard/Reich/Luck in Indy, Pace/Nagy/Trubisky in Chicago, and Rosenbloom/Pederson/Wentz in Philadelphia. I think all the elements there are proven enough that, given good luck, the potential for dynasties resides within. While I'm optimistic about the situations in Green Bay, Kansas City, and Cleveland, there are aspects about each of those teams that give me pause. Oakland/Las Vegas could rise up and be a juggernaut, too. (Mayock is that smart...)

You also have to factor in the division they are in which is sort of luck you cant predict. Im not saying it has everything to do with it, but the Jets/Bills/Dolphins being complete non-factors for the majority of the past 15 years has given the Pats a pretty easy road to consistent success.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

You also have to factor in the division they are in which is sort of luck you cant predict. Im not saying it has everything to do with it, but the Jets/Bills/Dolphins being complete non-factors for the majority of the past 15 years has given the Pats a pretty easy road to consistent success.

Yeah but I think one sorta causes the other. For example: if the Pats had taken the Chargers spot in the AFC West the past 20 years you could make the case that Peyton Manning never signs with the Broncos and Andy Reid never comes to the Chiefs. Hot coaching and QB commodities like that who are set on winning are not likely to choose a team that is in the division of the gold standard in the NFL. 

To continue on my last post - People I think forget that the AFC East was a pretty good division in the early 2000’s when the Pats won the first 3. The Dolphins and Jets were both playoff teams in 2001, the Dolphins went 10-6 in 03 and the Bills and Jets both had winning records in 04, the latter of which nearly knocked off the 15-1 Steelers in the playoffs. The long term impact of being in the division of the Patriots can lead to a lot of organizational disfunction and impatience. 

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Part of the chaos of the AFCE stems from impatient owners moving to counteract the Patriots, though. So...it's complicated. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah but I think one sorta causes the other. For example: if the Pats had taken the Chargers spot in the AFC West the past 20 years you could make the case that Peyton Manning never signs with the Broncos and Andy Reid never comes to the Chiefs. Hot coaching and QB commodities like that who are set on winning are not likely to choose a team that is in the division of the gold standard in the NFL. 

Yeah but its not impossible to have 2-3 great teams in 1 division. Look at the AFCN for the same time span that Brady has been with the Pats. PIT/BAL/CIN for the past 10+ years have been throwing haymakers at one another. Brady being in NE isnt the reason why the Bills/Dolphins/Jets havent found a franchise QB in over a decade to make the division more competitive

• Like 1