2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

33 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

We all know in an ideal world We would have traded down to around 8-12 and gotten Ferrell.  But as I said before Mayock came right out and said it wasn’t available while we were on the clock.  Obviously we could have found someone to give us a 4th to move back to 12 but that type of compensation isn’t worth it.  
People hardly talk about Allen’s tremendous amount of unblocked sacks in college.  Or that another huge chunk came vs TEs.  
And to say he had one good game is absurd.  He was an elite prospect throughout his college career and the leader of that DL that had 3 1st rounders plus Austin Bryant who slipped into the 4th round.

Ferrell had 6 sacks, 12.5 Tfl, 44 Tkls as a freshman.  9.5 sacks, 18 tfl, 66 tkls as a sophomore.  11.5 sacks, 20tfl, 55 tkls as a junior.  All in the toughest division in college.  
He was unanimously considered a top 7 pick prior to the combine but didn’t run a 40 due to turf toe.  
yes Jordan had nice tape at Cal but so did Ferrell.  
there’s good reason to believe actual scouts and not opinionated amateurs with websites always had Ferrell highly rated.

the problem really was this was a top 3 heavy draft and we picked 4th.  If you compare Ferrell to Devin White, Josh Allen, and Ed Oliver their all in the same tier.  Oliver had a similiar slow start to the season and White really struggled.  

In an ideal world the Raiders pick Allen at 4.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Lets see him nullify Tyreek Hill. 

Not saying that he can't play. Technique is always welcome. But he will get eaten in our division IMO. 

Terrible logic to draft a corner. Name 1 cornerback who can cover tyreek hill 1 on 1 on an island.

Henderson can possibly run with hill, but will get eaten every time KC runs a screen play. Pick your poison. What we really need to contend with hill is a safety over the top who can eliminate deep throws more effectively, like Delpit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Terrible logic to draft a corner. Name 1 cornerback who can cover tyreek hill 1 on 1 on an island.

Henderson can possibly run with hill, but will get eaten every time KC runs a screen play. Pick your poison. What we really need to contend with hill is a safety over the top who can eliminate deep throws more effectively, like Delpit.

Couple points I agree with:

1) Yes, CJ Henderson gets obliterated against screens. Just cannot tackle in open space. 

2) Grant Delpit would be excellent against KC’s style of offense. 

• Like 2

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ferrell was terribly misused as a rookie and got sick halfway through the year. Give him a year in the weight room and lets see how he does as a full time edge. He certainly came on a bit later in the year.

Honestly I wasn’t expecting much at all from Ferrells rookie year. It’s insane people were jumping on him all season.... and people call me a Carr Hater... the hate on Ferrell last year, especially before the Charger game, was legit insane. 

My prediction for Ferrell last year was 4.0 sacks, above average run defender, and very, very mild flashes.

This year my prediction is 6.5 sacks and an elite-level run defender.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

How does Mayock not get any credit for picking Jacobs, the by all rights Rookie of the Year?  He easily could have picked someone else but saw the value in Jacobs.

its fair to say im not going to give SF’s GM that much credit for taking Bosa because that’s an obvious choice.  He couldn’t possibly not take Bosa.

but Jacobs could have been skipped over with the plan of taking various other RBs later in the draft.

Exactly..I’m giving Lynch zero credit for picking Bosa. My grandma is 94 and would make that pick..her vision is getting worse though..poor thing. 

i think most people figured Jacobs would not make it past the rounders through the first round..that was pretty universal on most Mocks last year. We needed a RB bad and we took a first round RB..the consensus top RB. 

The same way I’m not giving Reggie any credit for picking Mack. I’m going to judge McKenzie by never hitting on a 2nd round pick..unless you count Derek Carr? Over his entire tenure as GM is never landed a 2nd rounder. Maybe got 1 3rd rounder right? Gabe Jackson. That’s a bad drafting GM. But everyone crowned Mckenize for picking Mack and Carr one year. 

Again, I’m happy we have Mayock. I really like that he landed Mullen and Crosby. Those were really good picks IMO. And I’m looking forward to this years draft. Those two picks at 12 and 19 will say a lot to me. I think it will say a lot about the direction of our team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMadStork said:

Exactly..I’m giving Lynch zero credit for picking Bosa. My grandma is 94 and would make that pick..her vision is getting worse though..poor thing. 

i think most people figured Jacobs would not make it past the rounders through the first round..that was pretty universal on most Mocks last year. We needed a RB bad and we took a first round RB..the consensus top RB. 

The same way I’m not giving Reggie any credit for picking Mack. I’m going to judge McKenzie by never hitting on a 2nd round pick..unless you count Derek Carr? Over his entire tenure as GM is never landed a 2nd rounder. Maybe got 1 3rd rounder right? Gabe Jackson. That’s a bad drafting GM. But everyone crowned Mckenize for picking Mack and Carr one year. 

Again, I’m happy we have Mayock. I really like that he landed Mullen and Crosby. Those were really good picks IMO. And I’m looking forward to this years draft. Those two picks at 12 and 19 will say a lot to me. I think it will say a lot about the direction of our team. 

I will say Mack wasn't as highly thought of as Bosa and there were other really good players in the mix where we picked.

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ferrell was terribly misused as a rookie and got sick halfway through the year. Give him a year in the weight room and lets see how he does as a full time edge. He certainly came on a bit later in the year.

+1 let’s give him more time. I agree. I just didn’t see anything to be optimistic about his first year. Im not crowning Josh Allen either. 

• Like 1

So say Jeudy is taken before no.12 (I'm thinking this is looking less likely after the Combine) and then Lamb/Ruggs III drop to no. 19, who would you guys prefer?

Lamb has better hands and is a better route runner than Ruggs, which (I'm not as educated on this but) probably plays to Carr's strengths, but Ruggs isn't that bad in those departments either plus the speed is so important especially in today's NFL.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Allen and Mack are nothing alike, Allens game is not based on power. 

Both power and speed. Allen has a great bull rush. Showed at Kentucky and in the pros. I believe one of his first sacks he splits a double team with sheer force.

Go to Gamepass: search Josh Allen; sacks.

Edited by Rich7sena

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

I will say Mack wasn't as highly thought of as Bosa and there were other really good players in the mix where we picked.

Some draft analyst thought Mack was better then Clowney..I didn’t see that..at all. That was a great Draft. Maybe one of the best drafts in recent history. 

I was torn that year between Donald and Mike Evans. 

1 minute ago, Drained said:

So say Jeudy is taken before no.12 (I'm thinking this is looking less likely after the Combine) and then Lamb/Ruggs III drop to no. 19, who would you guys prefer?

Lamb has better hands and is a better route runner than Ruggs, which (I'm not as educated on this but) probably plays to Carr's strengths, but Ruggs isn't that bad in those departments either plus the speed is so important especially in today's NFL.

I prefer Ruggs III. His 4.28 speed + really good hands and ability to run routes well enough, and high point the ball, make him a very very scary weapon. 

Think of it this way, ask 10 Defensive Coordinators who they would rather gameplan for: CeeDee Lamb or Henry Ruggs III? All 10 will probably say CeeDee Lamb.