2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

11 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I think for me in that situation it's Kinlaw at 12 and hope for a board of Higgins, Jefferson and Mims at 19? That or skip DT all together and have a WR from that board adding Shenault too if medicals check good and have Jaylon Johnson and AJ Terrell as options as well. I am really not sure it's the most uncomfortable position lol.

I'm going Kinlaw or Chassion at 12 but like I said most likely at least 2 LT's will be off the board in the first 11 picks.  

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

One of us is going to have a very good draft day and one of us is going to have a very bad draft day :/

It doesn't matter if we have a great season. We don't know ****.

• Like 2

Just now, oakdb36 said:

It doesn't matter if we have a great season. We don't know ****.

I agree. My trust in Mayock is like “Oh we picked Fulton at 19? Guess I was wrong about him!”.

Where as Al Davis, Reggie McKenzie, Browns, Lions, etc it’d be like “They messed up again, wow, what a dumb front office, etc etc”. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Same. If we go for a defensive player at 12, I'd look to trade up with Tampa ahead of Denver to get a WR.

With such a deep WR class I have a hard time seeing us pass on all 3 guys and then giving up draft capital to trade up for them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Higgins at #19 would be such terrible value. 

Agreed. I really can’t see Higgins in the 1st Round at all. It’s possible, as is anything, but I don’t see it personally. 

All my mocks I have Higgins go from #34 to the Colts to #60 to the Ravens. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I would love Derrick Brown. The NT thing is so overblown. He’s a freak, and can get to the passer. Not to mention he’d be doubled every single play for Maxx/Ferrell/Hurst to go to work. 

I want to follow San Francisco’s model, and several other teams in the past model. A dominant defensive line. The 49ers had four 1st Round Picks on the DL. And throughout NFL History, dominant defensive lines is what wins championships. 

Some see DT as not an issue. Not me. I see the spot next to Hurst as a glaring issue. Hall is not the answer imo. Collins is a fringe-guy. Hankins is awesome but he’s not a pass rusher. 

I think the second DT spot is almost as big of a need as CB. Perhaps that’s a minority opinion, but I’m just voicing it. 

If Derrick Brown is there at 12, I think he’s the pick. I think they would pass on Kinlaw though at 12. Kinlaw is too raw. At 19 I’d have no issue with Kinlaw. 

Also, this is why I think 19 could possibly be BPA between CB and DT. Whoever Mayock thinks is the best evaluated player, by him and his scouts, between Jaylon Johnson, Ross Blacklock, AJ Terrell, and Kristian Fulton could be the pick at 19. 

I have been pounding the table to beef up the Dline for years.  It's not sexy like a WR but it wins games, just like drafting a LT to beef up a Oline.  Average fans don't want anything to do with it because it's not sexy but being dominant in the trenches and build out from there is the key to success.  

If Brown is there at 12 he should be the pick, if he's not like in the scenario mentioned I would go Kinlaw or Chiasson at 12 and if one of them slipped to 19 they would be my 2nd selection.  If not I would go best CB on the board at 19 if the value is there.  

• Like 2

Chaisson is an interesting prospect at SLB but to get full value out of him, you’re gonna have to rush him a lot. Where as our DC likes to rush 4. And if Chaisson plays DE, where does Maxx and Ferrell go? Chaisson is an odd fit, even though I really like him. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Chaisson is an interesting prospect at SLB but to get full value out of him, you’re gonna have to rush him a lot. Where as our DC likes to rush 4. And if Chaisson plays DE, where does Maxx and Ferrell go? Chaisson is an odd fit, even though I really like him. 

Very good question and you have a fair point.  Chiasson is a do it all type of prospect who can put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer, line up at LB and bring the heat, he is stout in the run game and can drop back into coverage.  I am sure we would find a way to use his talents and I am telling everyone this guys is an elite talent.  Will that talent ever be reached is anyones guess but he is a high character, intelligent and high motor type of player that can be a game changer.  Here is a breif clip of his speaking to his talents and some snippets of what he can do.  

Didn't we kick Ferrell inside last year on passing downs?  I don't know if he had much success or not but that is an option too.  

https://www.packers.com/video/prospect-primer-lb-k-lavon-chaisson

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

6 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Chaisson doesn't have the arm length PG or Marinelli like.

LOL What are you talking about?  Yeah lets pass up on an elite talent because he has arms that are an inch shorter than what Gunther or Marnelli "might on like".  

Tell me what is Marnelli and Gunthers ideal arm length and how do you know this?

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

LOL What are you talking about?  Yeah lets pass up on an elite talent because he has arms that are an inch shorter than what Gunther or Marnelli "might on like".  

Tell me what is Marnelli and Gunthers ideal arm length and how do you know this?

I went through all the DEs drafted by the Cowboys since Marinelli was there. That's 6 drafts and 9 DEs. None under 33 inches arm, 6 out of 9 (but can't find the arm length for Ben Gardner) at 34 or over. Anyway, i'm not drafting just telling you what i think is the criteria. Take it into account or don't. Who cares.

• Like 2

Good read on Blacklock for the Raiders:

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2020/02/27/raiders-2020-draft-prospect-dt-ross-blacklock/

Especially this part:

Why Blacklock?

As mentioned, over various profiles, the hiring of Rod Marinelli looms large. Blacklock aligns with what Marinelli wants from tackles. His burst from the snap, combined with the ability to penetrate, will catch attention. While people don’t solely focus on interior linemen, they give defenses a spark. Blacklock slides into various roles. He brings the quickness of a three-technique and the ability loop around the edge.

51 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Any QB after round 1 would be less expensive and under contract for much longer than Peterman and Kizer so that should be enough for Gruden to be interested. Actually, I'm ready for us to draft a QB at 19 and Carr to be traded during the draft.

That’s true...  but I don’t think we keep 3 QBs unless we draft one.  I’d expect Kizer or Peterman or someone else to end up on PS.  In that case there’s no cap savings.