2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Has Mims become your new Aiyuk? You said Aiyuk had the highest ceiling in this class previously. 

I find it ironic that when draft twitter/media was talking up Aiyuk weeks back, you said he had the highest ceiling of any WR in the class. This week, draft twitter/media are talking up Mims and now HE has the high ceiling in the class.

Mims is a pretty underrated prospect for me. WR4 but could end up the best. Also is a little bust potential, but I'd take him at 19 for sure.

• Like 2

As much as I like Lamb, I can see really good cases for why him Ruggs and Jeudy all fit in this offense. You can ask them to do different things and "fill" different roles. I'm biased toward lamb because I like high volume WRs with physicality and hands, but Jeudy has a well rounded skillset and is smooth & explosive, and Ruggs' weaknesses can be protected by scheme early on. 

Ruggs is the biggest case of scheme fit where if you use him "right" he could boom the biggest, but if you don't play to his strengths, he can be easily overshadowed. Ruggs is the guy I can see the staff maybe taking over lamb because they might say:

-get the guy the ball on jet sweeps to test teams ability to play sideline to sideline (which also spreads defenders in the box, making inside running easier for Jacobs

-get the guy tons of screens and slants to get him the ball and watch him pull away

-throw a few deep bombs his way (every game) via play action

-he will open up the run game for Jacobs and prevent teams from bracketing Waller, who will then become the "#1 volume target" much like Kelce has done for KC

-he will open up the underneath pass game, making our RBs and Renfrow even easier completions/yards

-in turn Ruggs will be the "lower volume" receiver on traditional pass plays, but every other play will be a big one and you'll always have the option to scheme him touches

Ruggs value as a "#1" would come from his ability to change the way defenses play us or pay the price.

I still prefer Lamb in a vacuum, but I would understand why we might do it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

My brother moved down there for college at USD, never came back because he loved it so much. Best weather in the country in that city, best beach-life in the country, microbrewery capital of the entire world, way better traffic than LA/Bay, the food scene is not far off from LA. Not to mention Diego is way cheaper than LA/Bay. 

So many beautiful woman too. I use to go to San Diego State and lived in San Marcos in my youth. North County San Diego is very nice and underrated as well. I’m considering moving back or Phoenix before I settle down and buy some property. Been having opportunities in Fresno keeps me around, but not that bad in Fresno. People outside the valley think there’s just cows 🐄 this way, but not that bad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Totty said:

Renz just Twitter asked if Lamb and Okuda were both on the board at 12 who do you take?  

I would run to the podium for Okuda.  

Does anyone disagree at all? 🤔

Not at all. Top CB and should be top 5 pick imo. WR depth is deep enough to wait. 

45 minutes ago, Totty said:

Renz just Twitter asked if Lamb and Okuda were both on the board at 12 who do you take?  

Elite talent at a premium position....  No brainer and it's not even a question.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Totty said:

I don’t disagree at all. I’ll take an elite CB talent over a elite WR prospect all day. CB is a more important position. Even if some disagree with that, Okudah is a better prospect than any of the WRs in this class. CB/WR are both big needs. You take Okudah. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

As much as I like Lamb, I can see really good cases for why him Ruggs and Jeudy all fit in this offense. You can ask them to do different things and "fill" different roles. I'm biased toward lamb because I like high volume WRs with physicality and hands, but Jeudy has a well rounded skillset and is smooth & explosive, and Ruggs' weaknesses can be protected by scheme early on. 

Ruggs is the biggest case of scheme fit where if you use him "right" he could boom the biggest, but if you don't play to his strengths, he can be easily overshadowed. Ruggs is the guy I can see the staff maybe taking over lamb because they might say:

-get the guy the ball on jet sweeps to test teams ability to play sideline to sideline (which also spreads defenders in the box, making inside running easier for Jacobs

-get the guy tons of screens and slants to get him the ball and watch him pull away

-throw a few deep bombs his way (every game) via play action

-he will open up the run game for Jacobs and prevent teams from bracketing Waller, who will then become the "#1 volume target" much like Kelce has done for KC

-he will open up the underneath pass game, making our RBs and Renfrow even easier completions/yards

-in turn Ruggs will be the "lower volume" receiver on traditional pass plays, but every other play will be a big one and you'll always have the option to scheme him touches

Ruggs value as a "#1" would come from his ability to change the way defenses play us or pay the price.

I still prefer Lamb in a vacuum, but I would understand why we might do it.

I get what you're saying and I understand the philosophy but with our WR corp we do not need to get cute, we need to take the best WR on the board if that is what we do and that is Lamb.  

We need a high volume stud #1 and have seen these "speed" guys not cut it in the NFL.  The question is does Mayock see a "high volume number 1" in the 3rd round of this draft and if he does and is fairly certain that player will be there when we draft I could see him going for Ruggs but that is a very large risk to take because if that player is drafted before he is projected then we have a "scheme fit" player in Ruggs with no other weapons at WR.  

What are your thoughts on Peoples-Jones in the 3rd?  He is an intriguing prospect (#1 HS WR recruit) who played with a terrible QB in Michigan.   He could pose good value in the 3rd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I get what you're saying and I understand the philosophy but with our WR corp we do not need to get cute, we need to take the best WR on the board if that is what we do and that is Lamb.  

We need a high volume stud #1 and have seen these "speed" guys not cut it in the NFL.  The question is does Mayock see a "high volume number 1" in the 3rd round of this draft and if he does and is fairly certain that player will be there when we draft I could see him going for Ruggs but that is a very large risk to take because if that player is drafted before he is projected then we have a "scheme fit" player in Ruggs with no other weapons at WR.  

What are your thoughts on Peoples-Jones in the 3rd?  He is an intriguing prospect (#1 HS WR recruit) who played with a terrible QB in Michigan.   He could pose good value in the 3rd.

Peoples Jones will be over drafted IMO. I like a lot of WR over him, like Pittman Edwards van Jefferson etc. Guys with higher floors..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I think People-Jones and Pittman are the two prospects in the 3rd Round that could develop into a #1 WR, or at least Upper Tier #2. Pittman is the way safer prospect, but People-Jones definitely has way more upside. I’d rather go Pittman, but I wouldn’t be mad with Jones. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think People-Jones and Pittman are the two prospects in the 3rd Round that could develop into a #1 WR, or at least Upper Tier #2. Pittman is the way safer prospect, but People-Jones definitely has way more upside. I’d rather go Pittman, but I wouldn’t be mad with Jones. 

I agree on Pittman as well.  If either are there in the 3rd they both would be good value and we can use all the WR help we can get! If we can get a quality WR and RB in out of the 3rd round that would be huge value for this team and round our our WR and RB corps.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree on Pittman as well.  If either are there in the 3rd they both would be good value and we can use all the WR help we can get! If we can get a quality WR and RB in out of the 3rd round that would be huge value for this team and round our our WR and RB corps.  

I really want Zack Moss in the 3rd. But I keep telling myself using a 3rd on a Spell RB probably not a good idea. Getting AJ Dillion in the 4th is much better “value”. 

Classic case of don’t draft players because you love them, see where the value is for what you need. I think our value for a Spell RB is in the 4th. Even though I love Moss. 

Edited by BayRaider

Back to @MrOaktown_56 question about Ruggs.  Let's say Mayock views DPJ or Pittman as a potential number 1's (I'm not saying they are but I am using this as an example) who are likely to be there in the 3rd round and we have our pick of WR's at 12.  Would you go Lamb or Ruggs in this situation if we had a crystal ball and he knew his 3rd round number 1 will be there?