2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know the argument for Okudah but I wouldn't give up a future 1st for him when I can get a starter later in the 1st. Meaning I don't see him as an undeniable dynamic talent like Simmons. He will be a great player but not in the same vein as Simmons imo. Too many plays Okudah made last year were due to bad QB play or plays that would be called PI in the NFL 9 times out of ten. I still see him as the best corner in the draft but just not willing to give up that much for him.

There really isn't any player worth giving up two first round picks for IMO. Simmons is a great talent and will be the ultimate chest piece to move around the field. But a high end #1 CB is more valuable than a hybrid LB/S. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I've pretty much done a 180 with Henderson and he is my favorite a week out at 12. He really is a maestro in man coverage. What makes him exceptional in coverage, even against Okudah, is his ability to click and close and his recover speed once a receiver makes his break.

I still rather have Okudah, but watching both more has closed the gap. Henderson's tackling is less of an issue for me than his overall competitiveness in the run game--he simply doesn't put himself in positions to be a difference-maker there.

Right now, I'd be happiest (without any trades) with Henderson at 12 and Mims at 19.

I can't remember where but I saw something that claimed a few teams actually have Henderson as their CB1 over Okudah. The more I've watched the more I've become okay with the possibility of taking him at #12 as well. He's so sticky in man coverage and he's also an elite athlete. I also question how much of his lack of competitiveness in the run game was due to injury because I've heard he wasn't nearly as bad in that aspect in 2018.

Edited by NYRaider

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What tool did you use to do this? Most mocks I've seen have Arnette and Gallimore off the board in the top 50. 

This was PFN.  The only issue they have is just one set of rankings.  They do change it a few times a week.  When I first started both went in 2nd.  I just go along with how the board falls.  This one Lamb went before 12 and the top 3 CBs were gone before 19.  If we can walk away with Arnette in the 3rd I will be very happy.  I believe you can get lesser DTs, but not by much, than Gallimore pretty easily in the 3rd.  I only choose him for the value since we signed Collins.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

This was PFN.  The only issue they have is just one set of rankings.  They do change it a few times a week.  When I first started both went in 2nd.  I just go along with how the board falls.  This one Lamb went before 12 and the top 3 CBs were gone before 19.  If we can walk away with Arnette in the 3rd I will be very happy.  I believe you can get lesser DTs, but not by much, than Gallimore pretty easily in the 3rd.  I only choose him for the value since we signed Collins.

Yep. Value with these mid rounders is key. Get good players who can be current or future starters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yep. Value with these mid rounders is key. Get good players who can be current or future starters.

Mayock said the same thing. With 5 top 100 picks that should be 5 future starters. Super excited to see what he does in year two. All of our rookies from last years group looked like they'll be starters or rotational pieces here other than Abram and Johnson who we didn't see much of due to injury. That's how you build a good team that can remain competitive and was Reggie's biggest downfall, IMO. With Mayock he's hitting on guys like Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, etc. in the middle rounds so you're getting starting caliber players for 4-5 seasons playing for peanuts. That allows you to give your star talent big extensions because you have good young players across the roster on cheap deals. 

Hitting on late picks is tough but even looking at rounds 2-4, Reggie regularly missed the mark. 

2012: Tony Bergstrom (3rd), Miles Burris (4th)

2013: Menelik Watson (2nd), Sio Moore (3rd), Tyler Wilson (4th)

2014: Derek Carr (2nd), Gabe Jackson (3rd), Justin Ellis (4th), Keith McGill (4th)

2015: Mario Edwards (2nd), Clive Walford (3rd), Jon Feliciano (4th)

2016: Jihad Ward (2nd), Shilique Calhoun (3rd), Connor Cook (4th)

2017: Obi Melifonwu (2nd), Eddie Vanderdoes (3rd), David Sharpe (4th)

2018: PJ Hall (2nd), Brandon Parker (3rd), Arden Key (3rd), Nick Nelson (4th)

The only legit starters he found were Carr, Jackson, and Ellis. Parker, Sharpe, Key, and Hall all look like solid backups but the jury is still out.

Edited by NYRaider

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock said the same thing. With 5 top 100 picks that should be 5 future starters. Super excited to see what he does in year two. All of our rookies from last years group looked like they'll be starters or rotational pieces here other than Abram and Johnson who we didn't see much of due to injury. That's how you build a good team that can remain competitive and was Reggie's biggest downfall, IMO. With Mayock he's hitting on guys like Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, etc. in the middle rounds so you're getting starting caliber players for 4-5 seasons playing for peanuts. That allows you to give your star talent big extensions because you have good young players across the roster on cheap deals. 

Hitting on late picks is tough but even looking at rounds 2-4, Reggie regularly missed the mark. 

2012: Tony Bergstrom (3rd), Miles Burris (4th)

2013: Menelik Watson (2nd), Sio Moore (3rd), Tyler Wilson (4th)

2014: Derek Carr (2nd), Gabe Jackson (3rd), Justin Ellis (4th), Keith McGill (4th)

2015: Mario Edwards (2nd), Clive Walford (3rd), Jon Feliciano (4th)

2016: Jihad Ward (2nd), Shilique Calhoun (3rd), Connor Cook (4th)

2017: Obi Melifonwu (2nd), Eddie Vanderdoes (3rd), David Sharpe (4th)

2018: PJ Hall (2nd), Brandon Parker (3rd), Arden Key (3rd), Nick Nelson (4th)

The only legit starters he found were Carr, Jackson, and Ellis. Parker, Sharpe, Key, and Hall all look like solid backups but the jury is still out.

Yikes pls delete this post I don't want to see all these misses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If we're keeping Gabe Jackson around I don't think we need to invest into a guard. Good, James, Kush, and Devey are all solid backups plus we have Lester Cotton who will likely be a PS guy. 

None of those names can be counted on to be plus guards. We may need two starters by 2021.  

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Terrell Burgess looks like a good developmental option at safety. Will we carry 5 safeties though?

Terrell Burgess or Ashtyn Davis are my guys at #80. I could see us carrying like 9 DL, 5 LB, 6 CB, and 5 S. We're going to be in nickel more often than not with Abram/Heath playing a hybrid LB/S role in the box. Erik Harris is okay but he's limited, 30 years old, and on a 1 year deal plus Damarious Randall is also on a 1 year deal as well. 

• Like 1

This is what I'd do. I'm sure most of y'all will hate it lol.

12. CJ Henderson, CB Flordia

19. Laviska Shenault JR, WR Colorado

80. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma

81. Terrell Burgess, S Utah

91. Eno Benjamin, RB Arizona ST

121. Kenny Willekes, EDGE Michigan ST

159. David Woodward, LB Utah ST

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Terrell Burgess looks like a good developmental option at safety. Will we carry 5 safeties though?

I like Justin Blackmon as well later.

If a drafted S steps up, I don't think Heath, Harris, or Randall's spot is secure.

I liked the Randall signing, but he was sitting there in FA, not a priority for anyone.

• Like 2

Just now, Blazer026 said:

This is what I'd do. I'm sure most of y'all will hate it lol.

12. CJ Henderson, CB Flordia

19. Laviska Shenault JR, WR Colorado

80. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma

81. Terrell Burgess, S Utah

91. Eno Benjamin, RB Arizona ST

121. Kenny Willekes, EDGE Michigan ST

159. David Woodward, LB Utah ST

Looks great to me. Shenault is scary, but Jefferson and Mims aren't perfect either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massraider said:

None of those names can be counted on to be plus guards. We may need two starters by 2021.  

You have Jackson/Incognito starting with Good as one of the best backup guards in the league behind them. The staff supposedly really likes Andre James and he can play guard or center, Devey played well in limited action last year, and Kush has started 14 games over the last two years. I could see why they'd pick a guard to eventually replace Jackson as the starter in 2021 but you can also look to find that guy in the 2021 draft. I think our interior OL depth is pretty damn good. 

• Like 1