2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

Collins/Randall are on make or break contracts. Could easily draft projects at those spots if there is can't miss talent. 

If Collins plays well I think he'll get a long term deal here. Randall could be a starter going forward but as of now I view him more as a stop gap and would still like to see us draft a safety. 

Realistically we could take CJ Henderson, Derrick Brown, or Javon Kinlaw at #12 and it'd' be a good pick, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Taking away a #1 WR is a huge commodity in the NFL. It allows you to roll coverage to the other side of the field, stack the box, and blitz more often.

That is true but all the things I mentioned are huge commodities as well. I'm sorry I'm just higher on what SImmons can bring to a defense than what Okudah can. That being said both player will be great and are so close in ranking that you couldn't be really disappointed in taking one or the other imo.

Shenault has never run close to a full route tree. He had a core muscle injury that's concerning, among other injury concerns at Colorado.

I like him better than Aiyuk and maybe even Jefferson in terms of value, but no way would I take him over Mims or Reagor.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is true but all the things I mentioned are huge commodities as well. I'm sorry I'm just higher on what SImmons can bring to a defense than what Okudah can. That being said both player will be great and are so close in ranking that you couldn't be really disappointed in taking one or the other imo.

Sure. But we already have Littleton, who is one of the best coverage backers in the NFL. Sure he's not as athletic or versatile as Simmons, but hes plenty capable of playing in the slot, covering tight ends, and playing sideline to sideline. Corner is a much bigger need for this team. I'd take Okudah over Simmons for us 10/10.

• Like 1

Just now, NightTrainLane said:

Simmons is going to be a beast but he's going to have to be with the right coordinator to be utilized to his maximum potential. Okudah is without a doubt our #1 CB from the day he steps into the building and fills a huge hole for us. Where would Simmons project into our defense currently? WLB we just paid Cory Littleton who's one of the best LB's in the league and at SS we have Jonathan Abram. Both of those guys will provide more or less what Simmons would provide for us in terms of coverage and help in run support. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shenault is horrendous value at 19. I like him as a player, but no way he's a top 20 player in this class. 

Hurts is not an NFL qb rn. Henderson doesn't tackle anyone. 

Unfortunately you're right, I do hate it.

I personally think Shenault is a top 20 player in this class. Not that he should be drafted there, he shouldn't. But if he can stay healthy, I think he has that ability and will show out. 

• Like 2

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shenault has never run close to a full route tree. He had a core muscle injury that's concerning, among other injury concerns at Colorado.

I like him better than Aiyuk and maybe even Jefferson in terms of value, but no way would I take him over Mims or Reagor.

I would.

It's already being reported that Laviska and Aiyuk's surgeries went well and shouldn't pose any further concern.

It's also true that Laviska's college offense didn't have him run all the routes in the tree but that doesn't mean he can. Every prospect in this range has traits you can knock them for. Raegor has spotty hands, focus and trouble with physical corner play both at the line and on contested throws. Higgins thin frame will make him a 2-3 year project to really seize his full potential and his long strides and slower feet will make his transition to the NFL press game harder than most.

15 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Long term starters on defense

DE- Max/Nassib

DT- ? 

NT- Hankins - could draft cheap replacement

DE- Ferrell

WLB- Littleton

MLB- Koski

SLB- ?

CB- Mullen

CB- ?

FS- ?

SS- Abram

Collins/Randall are on make or break contracts. Could easily draft projects at those spots if there is can't miss talent. 

If i see one more list today i'm going to lose it.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The thing with Jefferson is that doesn't he project mainly as a slot?

Denzel Mims is certainly intriguing, dude is a physical specimen. The biggest knock on him was route running but reports from the Senior Bowl were that he looked great running a full route tree. The only concern that I have is that he has inconsistent hands and hasn't really shown much YAC ability. On one end he had 20 contested catches, 2nd most in the country last year, but he also dropped 18 of 139 (12.9%) catchable targets the last two seasons. And he only averaged 2.8 yards after catch per reception last season, which is the worst in the class. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure. But we already have Littleton, who is one of the best coverage backers in the NFL. Sure he's not as athletic or versatile as Simmons, but hes plenty capable of playing in the slot, covering tight ends, and playing sideline to sideline. Corner is a much bigger need for this team. I'd take Okudah over Simmons for us 10/10.

Mayock has preached all offseason that current GMs biggest flaw is overvaluing need over talent. With these two I know it's so close that you may give Okudah the edge because of our need but I don't because I really think Simmons is that special. We can disagree. It's ok.

Just now, NYRaider said:

The thing with Jefferson is that doesn't he project mainly as a slot?

Denzel Mims is certainly intriguing, dude is a physical specimen. The biggest knock on him was route running but reports from the Senior Bowl were that he looked great running a full route tree. The only concern that I have is that he has inconsistent hands and hasn't really shown much YAC ability. On one end he had 20 contested catches, 2nd most in the country last year, but he also dropped 18 of 139 (12.9%) catchable targets the last two seasons. And he only averaged 2.8 yards after catch per reception last season, which is the worst in the class. 

Mims is also a sideline monster and has shown the ability to beat press coverage on the outside. He can win vertically and is actually pretty smooth in and out of his breaks.

Reagor has a lot of the qualities that made Odell Beckham an exciting prospect coming out. The only big knock on him is production and thats because he had the 118th most accurate qb in the country out of 120, per PFF.

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Was just in La Jolla. I have family in Costa Mesa and every time I am out there, I want to move out there. There really is something about being near water. Good way of life. Ironic part is, I do most my business in CA, but live in Atlanta. It's a cool place, just wish it was on water lol.

I used to go to the costa mesa swap meet every weekend with my grandparents who had a sellers space there, nothing like heading down 55 and hitting the spot just before Newport harbor when you really start smelling the ocean, balboa , Newport on up to seal beach was where we always went. I grew up outside of la but SD is the bomb ….period. not as hot , not as smoggy, and not as cool and rainy as SF. if I won the lotto? yep del mar, la jolla...that area would be where id move. and BP....move to mobile then.lol mobile is pretty cool.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Simmons is going to be a beast but he's going to have to be with the right coordinator to be utilized to his maximum potential. Okudah is without a doubt our #1 CB from the day he steps into the building and fills a huge hole for us. Where would Simmons project into our defense currently? WLB we just paid Cory Littleton who's one of the best LB's in the league and at SS we have Jonathan Abram. Both of those guys will provide more or less what Simmons would provide for us in terms of coverage and help in run support. 

Simmons would be SLB and he would be able to stay on the field in alot of situations where other teams would bring in their nickel because he is that versatile. He is really gonna change the way you can play defense if your DC's brain is big enough to see it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Mayock has preached all offseason that current GMs biggest flaw is overvaluing need over talent. With these two I know it's so close that you may give Okudah the edge because of our need but I don't because I really think Simmons is that special. We can disagree. It's ok.

Sure. But adding a top talent to a position of need versus adding a similar talent to a position of almost 0 need isn't a good use of assets. The same reason we likely won't take 2 WR in the first round.

I don't anticipate us playing 3 LB sets unless we put one of them in the slot and that wouldn't be ideal.

I'm actually slightly more skeptical on Simmons than most. Even though I do like him, I think that the NFL is a very physical game and he wont be able to win by simply being the best athlete on the field and by being a freak athlete. His skill in coverage is very good, but physical teams in the run game may be able to bully him more than people anticipate. Just a thought.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I personally think Shenault is a top 20 player in this class. Not that he should be drafted there, he shouldn't. But if he can stay healthy, I think he has that ability and will show out. 

All the more reason to try and catch him if he falls. I agree he has huge upside. But why take him early when he can be had later?