NFL Could Push For 18-Game Season In Labor Talks

DigInBoys

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Too many. If I were to make any change at all I would have less games, say 14, and hold longer practices. Less time to learn plays and muscle memory equals more injuries and shorter careers. Scheduling 18 games with the current practice system would only make that problem worse.

16 gms for decades was never an issue.  However you are correct, the BS new practice or lack there of rules currently implimented for "player safety", is the complete opposite.

Limited tackling, limited practices in pads, limited contact with players, 2 a days??? SH!!!!!t, What's that? All have led to more injuries IMO, not less!

I have some serious doubts whether 1/3 the league would of survived 25-30 years ago when real football was played.

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 2019-05-31 at 7:16 PM, Heinz D. said:

It would be a disaster. The fact that all the 18 game season nonsense doesn't die makes me wonder if the NFL really doesn't want any part of it, though. 

The NFL def wants 18 game schedule. Their just not stupid enough to put a rule to have players sit out 2 games when healthy. Now that would be ridiculous. Don't mind 18 games, 2 more weeks of Football is good. 

On 5/31/2019 at 9:25 AM, candyman93 said:

If I’m an owner, I agree to fully guaranteed contracts, but keep rookie salaries the same. Then I demand an 18 game season in exchange for the players demanding fully guaranteed contracts.

Owners win in that scenario. You get a situation like baseball where owners just keep replacing expensive players with cheaper rookies. The NFLPA really screwed up being okay with rookie contracts being capped.

Fully guaranteed contracts in a sport like football are an absolute non-starter, I don't see how you could even consider that a possibility. 

2 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Fully guaranteed contracts in a sport like football are an absolute non-starter, I don't see how you could even consider that a possibility. 

Yeah there's Zero chance of that ever occurring and frankly nor should it.

14 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

I agree the league would have much less parity.

14 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

It can be done, but you have to make serious changes to the salary cap for it to work.  The issue is, the NFL wont do it bc they have no incentive to.  Yeah the other big 4 sports have guaranteed contracts, but none have a hard cap like the NFL, and truth be told, the NFL is blowing them all away, with much, much fewer games, so why would they want to change.  The NFLs salary cap and revenue sharing structure is what has created an incredibly competitive and unpredictable league.  Baseball has haves and havenots.  NBA requires a super team to win a championship.  NHL really doesnt even deserve to be in this conversation.  I dont see any scenario will the NFL is pushed to make drastic changes that could effect the quality of the product and kill the golden goose.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:09 PM, ConnPatFan said:

I dislike expanding past 16 games mostly because of the symmetry and balance of the current system; you know who and why you play each year. 

6 games in your division, 4 vs other conference division, 4 vs in-conference division, and the other 2 same-rank in-conference teams.

Who do you add games vs without unbalancing it? (honest question, I can't think of a good solution)

One solution would be for teams to be assigned into two "rivalry" matchups, one within conference but out of division and the other in the other conference. They could assign them on a historical/regional basis and keep them the same every year for a pre-determined period of time (say at least 4 or 5 years, maybe up to 10) before they consider moving some around. They would play each year even if they already had a predetermined matchup, meaning they could potentially play twice in one year. They could even do it so that each pair of rivals in one conferences was tied to a pair of rivals in another conference.

For example it could be set up so that the Steelers are rivalry matched to the Patriots and the Eagles. The Eagles could be rivalry matched to the Steelers and (IDK) Bears. The Bears and Patriots would also play eachother each year.

This would obviously be hard to do with a lot of teams, a lot of rivalries would have to be based on very little, and the pair+pair matchup/restriction might not be worth it. I'm not sure what sorts of tie-breaker weirdness this could cause for playoff concerns.

I do agree with all your points though, the current system is very clean. A 19 game season where the extra three games come from same-rank cross conference though...

On 5/31/2019 at 12:19 AM, whitehops said:

i know it would net the NFL less money than adding a 17th and potentially 18th regular season game but simply expanding playoffs would be good imo. 8 teams per conference, no teams get a bye, the schedule stays the same, etc.

the NFL only gets four more games of revenue but it's pretty much the least intrusive way of adding games.

Not just four more games of revenue but it extends the length of "in the playoff hunt" time for potentially another 4-12 teams a year for the last 4 or 5 games of the season whereas before only a handful of them would have had a realistic shot by that point. Should increase viewership across the board for the last quarter of the season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
On 6/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, Nabbs4u said:

16 gms for decades was never an issue.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-concussion-claims-hit-500-million-less-than-2-years/

Pretty sure it was a problem for a while...

I hope this was a joke? 16 games had nothing to do with the amount of concussions nor did the 14 gms back in the 70's. Head hunting, tackling high, "He Got Jacked Up" type hits being promoted by the NFL  and every news network while not being flagged on the field did. As well as players not reporting them, trainers ignoring them, coaching staffs turning a blind eye, grab some smelling salt, suck it up , get back in there, ect, ect did! 

If 16 gms was a factor, why are there less concussions in todays NFLthen that Era? Because none of that is allowed.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I hope this was a joke? 16 games had nothing to do with the amount of concussions nor did the 14 gms back in the 70's. Head hunting, tackling high, "He Got Jacked Up" type hits being promoted by the NFL  and every news network while not being flagged on the field did. As well as players not reporting them, trainers ignoring them, coaching staffs turning a blind eye, grab some smelling salt, suck it up , get back in there, ect, ect did! 

If 16 gms was a factor, why are there less concussions in todays NFLthen that Era? Because none of that is allowed.

I bolded the statements with citations needed.

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I bolded the statements with citations needed.

You’re gonna need citations as well to go against it. 

I fully believe an 18 game season with all the safety rules is a heckkkkkk of a lot safer than 14 games back in the day. Even 16 games 7 years ago or so. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re gonna need citations as well to go against it. 

I fully believe an 18 game season with all the safety rules is a heckkkkkk of a lot safer than 14 games back in the day. Even 16 games 7 years ago or so. 

More games=more safe is simply, undeniably, counterintuitive. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

More games=more safe is simply, undeniably, counterintuitive. Sorry. 

18 games today is more unsafe than the absolute physical beating of the 70’s rules of 14 games? Yeah, no, not a chance. That game was 10x more physical.