Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Great news with Burks but whatever happened to that Koron Crump kid? I remember everyone was jacked when we signed him. He was an UDFA ILB with 4.3 speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Great news with Burks but whatever happened to that Koron Crump kid? I remember everyone was jacked when we signed him. He was an UDFA ILB with 4.3 speed.

He was a tryout, never signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Stahp.  We're not releasing a player going into his sophomore year simply because he hurt himself.  Since Brian Gutekunst was officially named GM early in 2018, he's been in charge of the 2018 and 2019 NFL draft.  The only 2018 draft picks (aside from Cole Madison who is the exception) to not make the 53 man roster to start the year was James Looney and Kendall Donnerson, both of whom were 7th round picks.  If you believe that Gute was the one pulling the strings for the 2017 draft, I believe only Vince Biegel and Davante Mays were the only two players who were rostered in 2017 but were released in 2018.  Again, Mays was a 7th round pick.  If you want to use Vince Biegel as your "example" for Burks, I'd very much disagree with you since Burks was slated to play a big role and Biegel wasn't.

Certainly not going to use Biegel as an argument. What I am using as an argument is that he's constantly hurt. I get that he's a Day 2 pick so he'll get a longer leash than a Day 3 pick, but if he's gone for the season, he's gone for good. JMO.

 

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's been two drafts, right????  I get moving on from late round picks, but Burks isn't a late round pick.  I get moving on from guys who lack elite ability, but Burks has elite ability.  And Gute drafted Burks.  It isn't like this was a player he inherited.  This is a player that he drafted.

I'm no fan of his, but even I know that he isn't being cut this year.

What elite ability has Burks shown? I know he's quite athletic, but other than that what sets him apart?

 

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The "we" bolded above wasn't Gute.  

GM's tend to be more loyal and patient with "their" guys.  

I get your point about Burks, and I'm not a huge fan, but there's no way Gute gets rid of one of his that he traded up for, with an intriguing skillset, this quickly.

Gute was a part of TT"s regime and IIRC, TT is still around or at least was around for the Burks pick. Gute was a great hire because not only is he a talented GM IMHO, but his ties within the organization run quite deep as we already know. 

My point, which has clearly been misunderstood, is that Gute is running the ship a lot more cutthroat than previous GM's. In the past, we'd hang onto picks regardless of where they were drafted and give them quite the long leash. Richard Rodgers, Quentin Rollins, Mike Neal, Khyri Thornton, and Ty Montgomery all come to mind. With the Spriggs cut, Gute is sending a message that he isn't going to be as patient at TT was; you could make an argument that our venture into FA supports my opinion.

Unlike others, I actually liked the Burks pick and totally understood why the pick was made. Was I let down in spectacular fashion because I was such a fan of the pick? No. However, we have a hole at ILB after Martinez and while it's not the premium position it may have been at one time, we've struggled to find consistency at that position for quite sometime now. Martinez and Ryan were really the only two that have helped us avoid complete futility at the position over the past 5-10 years alone. We may need to use another Day 2 pick at the position if Summers, Bolton, and/or Crawford don't pan out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, packfanfb said:

(Koron Crump) was a tryout, never signed.

4.3 speed is nice, but 4.5 speed with range is better. Crump didn't show side-to-side agility IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Joe, put in the Burks information into the RAS metric and see what it spits out....

In fact, I"ll do the search for yah...

Oren Burks RAS against "All Time"

Size is good, 6'3'' 233 pounds.

Speed is ELITE 4.59 40.  2.64 20 split.  1.59 10 split.

Explosion is ELITE.

Agility is Elite.

For his position he's a helluva athlete.  

We are just waiting for him to "get it".  When/if the game ever slows down for him, well, that could be a special player.

As far as Gute being on the staff?  That still doesn't make a TT pick one of "Gute's guys".  The last two drafts are his guys.  And he's about as "cutthroat" as every new GM when it comes to churning a roster and getting in "his" guys.  Nothing new here to see.

 

Edited by vegas492

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, CWood21 said:

Everyone is clamoring for a Luke Kuechly or Patrick Willis of the worlds, but fail to realize that you're more likely to get the AJ Hawk or Lawrence Timmons.

 

Last time the Packers could cover the middle of the field was... 2010?

 

Routinely the guys who get paid the big bucks can't find an ILB worth a damn. It is very frustrating to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 11:18 AM, vegas492 said:

Joe, put in the Burks information into the RAS metric and see what it spits out....

In fact, I"ll do the search for yah...

Oren Burks RAS against "All Time"

Size is good, 6'3'' 233 pounds.

Speed is ELITE 4.59 40.  2.64 20 split.  1.59 10 split.

Explosion is ELITE.

Agility is Elite.

For his position he's a helluva athlete.  

We are just waiting for him to "get it".  When/if the game ever slows down for him, well, that could be a special player.

As far as Gute being on the staff?  That still doesn't make a TT pick one of "Gute's guys".  The last two drafts are his guys.  And he's about as "cutthroat" as every new GM when it comes to churning a roster and getting in "his" guys.  Nothing new here to see.

 

Burks is what we call "potential" which means not very good yet.  He is nothing to write home about at this point so we are forced to look seriously at an UDFA or a 7th round pick to start. Not good and not even a little good. Just another hole on this Packers team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Burks is what we call "potential" which means not very good yet.  He is nothing to write home about at this point so we are forced to look seriously at an UDFA or a 7th round pick to start. Not good and not even a little good. Just another hole on this Packers team. 

Since he got hurt in the first preseason game we are looking at other options. As far as him being 'not very good', you are basing that on last year only. Put another way, you have no idea how good or bad he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Since he got hurt in the first preseason game we are looking at other options. As far as him being 'not very good', you are basing that on last year only. Put another way, you have no idea how good or bad he is. 

Regarding Burks...I didn't like his collegiate tape either.  I thought last year he was terrible for a play or two...but also great for a play or two.

Whether you like how he has played in the NFL, or has not played, the man has ELITE ATHLETIC TRAITS.

Look.  I'm not a fan of his and even I can say that GB would be foolish for giving up on those ELITE ATHLETIC TRAITS in year 2.  He's the kind of guy who gets all the way through his rookie deal and you just pray that he "gets it".  He's not one you give up on fast.

And that's coming from someone who is not a fan of his.

Sorry Golfman, CAPS wasn't directed at you.  I think we can agree that you don't give up on Burks.  We don't know enough about him, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Burks...I didn't like his collegiate tape either.  I thought last year he was terrible for a play or two...but also great for a play or two.

Whether you like how he has played in the NFL, or has not played, the man has ELITE ATHLETIC TRAITS.

Look.  I'm not a fan of his and even I can say that GB would be foolish for giving up on those ELITE ATHLETIC TRAITS in year 2.  He's the kind of guy who gets all the way through his rookie deal and you just pray that he "gets it".  He's not one you give up on fast.

And that's coming from someone who is not a fan of his.

Sorry Golfman, CAPS wasn't directed at you.  I think we can agree that you don't give up on Burks.  We don't know enough about him, yet.

No worries, I did not take as such and completely agree with what you said. Guy's played one year and was slotted to be a starter and someone says, 'he's not very good!" based on what. I really hope he gets back on the field soon, because if the light goes on when his athletic ability, ceiling is very high. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously good news. While I'm far from convinced he will ever be a decent player, he's certainly our best option for now next to Blake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 14/08/2019 at 5:18 PM, vegas492 said:

We are just waiting for him to "get it".  When/if the game ever slows down for him, well, that could be a special player.

As far as Gute being on the staff?  That still doesn't make a TT pick one of "Gute's guys".  The last two drafts are his guys.  And he's about as "cutthroat" as every new GM when it comes to churning a roster and getting in "his" guys.  Nothing new here to see.

Agree about Burks. He needs time to become fast and consistent.............or not.

Disagree just with the words about Gute getting 'his guys' in. I'm not sure that GMs look at things that way. It might look like that, because when a new GM comes in, it is usually because the last GM has failed, so he has to right the ship. For GMs, I think it is (or should be) all about talent vs salary. In it's most basic form, you keep the guys that are giving you good 'bang for your buck' and find ways to remove those that are not when you are able. "Your guys" or "previous GMs guys", shouldn't make any difference.

Given the size of the annual roster turnover and the tendency (of the Packers) to field young teams, after maybe four years on the job, the team is mostly what you picked, anyway.

It might be similar to the way GMs view draft picks, compared to how fans view them. Fans have favourites and want this guy picked over that guy. Because a GM sets the board, if HE likes the player, I imagine he simply moves him up the board to a point where he likes all the players grouped there fairly equally (the reverse is also true). Of course, there is more to it than that. With players on your team, a GM should be looking at whether a players price point matches up to performance (adjusted due to potential/injury/age/etc), while in the draft you are looking at projected performance matched to a draft slot (also adjusted for team needs, etc).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If I was a betting man, I'd say Burks probably suits up Week 5 against the Cowboys. Week 4 we play Philly on Thursday so a mini-bye probably gets Burks back on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

 If I was a betting man, I'd say Burks probably suits up Week 5 against the Cowboys. Week 4 we play Philly on Thursday so a mini-bye probably gets Burks back on the field. 

Any knew on the timetable for Bolton?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, packfanfb said:

 If I was a betting man, I'd say Burks probably suits up Week 5 against the Cowboys. Week 4 we play Philly on Thursday so a mini-bye probably gets Burks back on the field. 

You could be right but that is 6 and a half weeks form day of this report. I guess technically that is not 'months' but it is a month and a half. Hope he's back sooner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×