Jump to content
Woz

2019 Women's World Cup Thread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Woz said:

Sometimes a team gets thrown into the wood chipper. Happens in the men's side too (last one was 8-0 Germany over Saudi Arabia in 2002).

To be fair, once it was 7-0, I thought they should have taken their foot off the gas. I get the argument about changing tactics/formation, but that was overkill.

Germany beat Estonia yesterday 8-0 as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, carrolljcmc said:

Germany beat Estonia yesterday 8-0 as well.

What about when Germany murdered Brazil in 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

What about when Germany murdered Brazil in 2014.

While that was a historic beatdown, it was two top teams going at it, as opposed to a big fish and a minnow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Woz said:

We need a thread for the ladies, right? Right!

 

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, carrolljcmc said:

Germany beat Estonia yesterday 8-0 as well.

And look at how they were barely celebrating the goals scored towards the end of the game.  I don't even think Leroy Sane smiled when he scored - just jogged back to his half of the field for play to restart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Woz said:

While that was a historic beatdown, it was two top teams going at it, as opposed to a big fish and a minnow.

That people seemingly don't understand this context when trying to use that game as justification for the behaviour of the USWNT astounds me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drd23 said:

That people seemingly don't understand this context when trying to use that game as justification for the behaviour of the USWNT astounds me.

True. But at the same time since it was in the knockouts those extra goals for Germany had zero meaning. Here you can't be sure, they do have meaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the Australian player not affecting the play there? The offsides rule needs to be clearer with that aspect of the rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

 

:(

Sorry about that ... at the same time, it was about the group announcements so ... different focus? :$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mse326 said:

How is the Australian player not affecting the play there? The offsides rule needs to be clearer with that aspect of the rule.

She was imo. 

I'm ordinarily a fan of VAR but I don't think it had the best performance in that game - imo got the call right to rule out the Aussie call for a penalty because of a handball, missed the handball by Leticia immediately before she was fouled in the penalty area and got the Kerr offsides decision wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To y'all Americans - is the disproportionate interest in the sport for the Women's National Team purely because they are the best in the world?

Hoping the English team can make a deeper run this time around. Not a great performance against Scotland but hopefully that was a bit of rust and nerves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

To y'all Americans - is the disproportionate interest in the sport for the Women's National Team purely because they are the best in the world?

Hoping the English team can make a deeper run this time around. Not a great performance against Scotland but hopefully that was a bit of rust and nerves.

I can't answer definitively, but there was some good support for the Men's team when they reached the round of 16 in 2010 and 2014. I don't the men's team needs to be the best in the world but they have to look like that can at least be competitive with the best in the world. There isn't enough interest in the team to just get buy on pure love of the game/team. They need results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mse326 said:

I can't answer definitively, but there was some good support for the Men's team when they reached the round of 16 in 2010 and 2014. I don't the men's team needs to be the best in the world but they have to look like that can at least be competitive with the best in the world. There isn't enough interest in the team to just get buy on pure love of the game/team. They need results.

To riff off of this: the fanbase cares and was supremely upset that they missed the WC in Russia. The muckity mucks in US Soccer operated like it was still the late 90s when it was just a treat to be in the conversation and treated it as no big deal.

This is why we're a pessimistic bunch on the whole for any further growth in the homegrown sport here in the US. There will continue to be growth in interest in general, but the US as a men's national sport is going to languish because of the federation's stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 3:27 AM, drd23 said:

I've got no problems with the US continuing to score, but I thought them continuing their exuberant celebrations when they were up by so many goals was distasteful.

I have no problem with the players celebrating, and I think it is completely unreasonable to expect them not to. Just playing in a World Cup for your country is an enormous accomplishment, and scoring a goal at the World Cup is going to be one of the best moments of their career/life. Anyone that says they wouldn't celebrate in that situation is lying to themselves. It doesn't matter what the score is - they are celebrating their personal accomplishment, not the impact the goal has on the game.

Mallory Pugh got her first ever World Cup cup at 21 years old in the 84th minute. Should she not celebrate just because other people scored before her? Carli Lloyd came on as a sub at 36 years old and got a goal in what will be one of her last chances to represent her country. It doesn't matter if the game was over, that is an incredible moment for her.

What would be really distasteful and insulting would be to act like the other team is so far beneath you that it isn't meaningful to score. I feel like anyone who thinks showing pity on your opponent is somehow less humiliating has never played a competitive sport before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

. Anyone that says they wouldn't celebrate in that situation is lying to themselves. It doesn't matter what the score is - they are celebrating their personal accomplishment, not the impact the goal has on the game.

Quote

What would be really distasteful and insulting would be to act like the other team is so far beneath you that it isn't meaningful to score. I feel like anyone who thinks showing pity on your opponent is somehow less humiliating has never played a competitive sport before.

I guess when everyone else don't run halfway across the pitch to perform a pre-prepared exuberant celebration with the entire bench they are being arrogant and disrespectful then o.O

Alex Morgan has scored 100+ goals for her country.  Megan Rapinoe has 45.  As far as I've seen, they're the ones that most people are criticising, and rightly so imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×