2019 Women's World Cup Thread

Woz

On 6/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, mse326 said:

I can't answer definitively, but there was some good support for the Men's team when they reached the round of 16 in 2010 and 2014. I don't the men's team needs to be the best in the world but they have to look like that can at least be competitive with the best in the world. There isn't enough interest in the team to just get buy on pure love of the game/team. They need results.

Hit the nail on the head. It also helps when we don't just ring up players from the MLS and grab good american players playing overseas. Fact of the matter is, the team is ran so poorly and they seem to use favorites a lot. Michael Bradley is extremely overrated as is Jozy Altidore. 

• Like 1

The England-Cameroon game might be the most bizarre game of football I have ever seen in my entire life.

The Cameroon players basically held a mutiny for 10 minutes over two decisions that were (clearly) correct, yet for some reason they took offence then accused FIFA of racism at half time .........

Oh, and one of the Cameroon players spat on an English player. Phil Neville must be really proud of his girls for holding it together. 

14 hours ago, Woz said:

Got the job done, though.

At the same time, doesn't give much hope for Thursday (?).

Friday. And France didn't look great in their game either.

And while I think she dove, there was definite contact with the studs to the knee.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:54 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

The England-Cameroon game might be the most bizarre game of football I have ever seen in my entire life.

The Cameroon players basically held a mutiny for 10 minutes over two decisions that were (clearly) correct, yet for some reason they took offence then accused FIFA of racism at half time .........

Oh, and one of the Cameroon players spat on an English player. Phil Neville must be really proud of his girls for holding it together. 

Proud of the girls, but Neville should have just sat out the whinging he did about rash and overly-physical play lest he look like a hypocrite (considering the stuff that he's openly admitted that he and Gary did as players).

14 hours ago, The LBC said:

Proud of the girls, but Neville should have just sat out the whinging he did about rash and overly-physical play lest he look like a hypocrite (considering the stuff that he's openly admitted that he and Gary did as players).

I know you're an Arsenal fan and probably hold a slight grudge from the Reyes (RIP) bullying days, but it's a different game now. The game is refereed different so what is 'acceptable' is therefore totally different.

It's like saying Chopper Harris can't moan about bad tackles against Chelsea because he used to drop kick people for a living on the football field.

17 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I know you're an Arsenal fan and probably hold a slight grudge from the Reyes (RIP) bullying days, but it's a different game now. The game is refereed different so what is 'acceptable' is therefore totally different.

It's like saying Chopper Harris can't moan about bad tackles against Chelsea because he used to drop kick people for a living on the football field.

Chopper Harris is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison though, because he and his brother didn't go into punditry after they retired where they accused other clubs in the league (wasn't just Arsenal) of being soft or referees of calling too much soft contact.  There were enough pundits (like Souness) making arses of themselves pining for the good ol' days when you could break legs, slice calves, and break noses that, particularly if he had coaching aspirations, Gary could have just kept his nose down.  I hold the same opinions of Keown (and Merson, though I lost my last ounce of respect for that lush a long time ago), though I don't believe either of them have coaching aspirations.

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm not sure I understand why the US went into "bunker mode" for what seemed the last 30 minutes. Almost cost them. Still, moving on.

I said that to, way too early.

And on another note I still don't get VAR. Why not at least have the ref look at that offsides decision on the would be 3rd goal?

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I said that to, way too early.

And on another note I still don't get VAR. Why not at least have the ref look at that offsides decision on the would be 3rd goal?

Former French WC coach said on TV that while, we, TV viewers, got only one camera angle, the referees have like 10 different angles. Maybe they saw something we didn't. But yeah, it looked very shady.

US was the far better side, but they were too cautios and that almost cost them. We weren't really good in the end so it's no surprise to lose here. England and Netherlands look like the sides who could neat the US

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

Yeah. I get the feeling that the handball that wasn't called was a make-up no-call.

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

US was the far better side, but they were too cautios and that almost cost them. We weren't really good in the end so it's no surprise to lose here. England and Netherlands look like the sides who could neat the US

Don't know if I agree that the US was the better side in this game. They did what they needed to do, but they probably shouldn't have won. If France could have connected on one of the numerous passes into the box, it could just as easy the US going home.