The offseason DL thread

boratt

from The Athletic

Time for Dean Lowry to live up to his new deal

Two days before training camp started, the Packers signed Lowry to a three-year contract extension worth over $20.3 million. The next morning, they released veteran defensive lineman Mike Daniels. The Packers felt more comfortable executing the latter transaction because of the former, a testament to Lowry’s improvement late last season and what his role will be in 2019. He’s currently the first-team 5-technique alongside nose tackle Kenny Clark and 3-technique Montravius Adams. Lowry played 698 defensive snaps last season, according to Football Outsiders, second-most on the defensive line behind Clark’s 721.

He also played 152 special-teams snaps. To compensate for the loss of Daniels, and maximize the effectiveness of the new Packers rushing from behind him, Lowry needs to be better than three sacks, 44 total tackles and three passes defensed in 2019. If Lowry’s early camp performance is any indication, he’ll be a menace in opposing backfields this season.

“He’s Steady Eddie,” Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said. “He’s consistently improved from the time we got him. He’s a true professional — effort, work ethic, and he’s gotten better. I think he played the most snaps that we’ve asked him to play last year and handled it very, very well. And you just see how he’s really worked himself into being a really good NFL football player, and he’s been very reliable and dependable.”

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article from 2 years ago on Adams, right after he hurt his foot

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/07/31/foot-injury-sideline-packers-dl-montravius-adams-weeks/524761001/

“His pass-rush moves are ridiculous,” veteran defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois said. “I thought it would take him a while to adjust to the NFL and have to change from college moves to NFL moves, but I think he already adjusted.

It’s rare for veterans to go out on a limb and predict instant success for a rookie, given how much unfulfilled potential they’ve seen over the course of their careers. But the 6-4, 304-pound Adams made quite an impression on them, playing end, three-technique tackle and nose tackle.

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to be a great player in this league,” said nose tackle Kenny Clark, a first-round pick in 2016. “The main thing I can say about ‘Mon’ is that he’s explosive. When he gets off the ball and does it right, there’s nobody who can stop him off the ball. 

“Just the first two days of practice, his explosiveness, how he gets upfield, he looked real good.”

“He’s a pretty special kid,” Jean Francois said. “When third down comes up, I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s on that field. If he’s on that field, I’m betting money on him getting to that quarterback first.  “He has pass-rush moves. I just wish he could have developed his game a lot more.”

The Packers have had some great D-lines. The Wolf/Holmgren line of the late 90’s was a great line. Just spectacular with a generational all-time great talent, a few pro bowlers and some other good players.

With that being said. After two and half weeks of camp and one preseason game, how can you not love the Packers young DL? It’s not the late 90’s DL, but I can’t remember having five young D-linemen this good.... Even some other decent talent like Brown and Looney.

I know there’s a lot of unproven talent that’s long on potential, short on accomplishment. So, it’s gonna be a lot of fun watching this group develop and turn into the next great line.

• 2 weeks later...

From Eye in the Sky

"Jerry Montgomery is the most impressive position coach.
His command, presence, and transparency has to translate to a coordinator position soon."

Concur on that comment, watch one of his pressers and you'll see for yourself
He's got a wealth of young talent to work with too

Edited by Shanedorf

Adams played a really good game against ravens. Stout. Stayed square. Held his gaps. He’s a dude.

lancaster too

keke is far better than I expected.

This preseason turned out in what I saw as absolute best case scenario. 

Im ready for the season. We have our star and 4 guys behind him who can play. It’s gonna be good up front.

11 minutes ago, boratt said:

Adams played a really good game against ravens. Stout. Stayed square. Held his gaps. He’s a dude.

lancaster too

keke is far better than I expected.

This preseason turned out in what I saw as absolute best case scenario. 

Im ready for the season. We have our star and 4 guys behind him who can play. It’s gonna be good up front.

Definitely gives some context for why Mike Daniels was released. You gotta give these young guys some reps. Still, it's pretty shocking that they weren't able to get at least a late round pick in return for Daniels - especially with all the reported interest in him. 

1 hour ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Definitely gives some context for why Mike Daniels was released. You gotta give these young guys some reps. Still, it's pretty shocking that they weren't able to get at least a late round pick in return for Daniels - especially with all the reported interest in him. 

Nobody wanted to give a pick because:  Foot may still be an issue, he's going to be released anyway, lots of chatter/interest in lots of players (who knows), starting to show his age.  Any or all of these could be why.

1 hour ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

It's old news at this point, but they tried. Takes two to tango.

Packers Attempted To Trade DL Mike Daniels

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

It's old news at this point, but they tried. Takes two to tango.

Packers Attempted To Trade DL Mike Daniels

Sure, but there have been a few players over the past several years they've failed to get any compensation for.  Not blaming anyone in particular, just the FO as a whole have done a poor job at this it seems. Maybe I'm wrong, just my $.02. 

It will be interesting to see how Josh Jones is handled. They should be able to get something for him. He's still an elite athlete with positional versatility on a rookie contract. 

1 minute ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Sure, but there have been a few players over the past several years they've failed to get any compensation for.  Not blaming anyone in particular, just the FO as a whole have done a poor job at this it seems. Maybe I'm wrong, just my $.02. 

It will be interesting to see how Josh Jones is handled. They should be able to get something for him. He's still an elite athlete with positional versatility on a rookie contract. 

Hoping for a player-for-player trade w/ Jones. Maybe a reserve OT? But that seems unlikely. 

(I sent your tickets out yesterday, FYI)

Just now, incognito_man said:

Hoping for a player-for-player trade w/ Jones. Maybe a reserve OT? But that seems unlikely. 

(I sent your tickets out yesterday, FYI)

Thanks again. A donation was made to the cause you suggested.

It would definitely be more fun to get a player back for JJ. Possibly another under-achieving high round draft pick? 

6 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I'd like to be hopeful, but I doubt that scenario is realistic at this time. We'll probably keep him as the last man on the team, being a healthy scratch.

Just now, Joe said:

I'd like to be hopeful, but I doubt that scenario is realistic at this time. We'll probably keep him as the last man on the team, being a healthy scratch.

idk that mysterious "illness" he has is suspicious. If I were the conspiracy type I'd say they were keeping him healthy and looking for a trade partner.   Although I believe JJ was one of Gutes guys in that draft. Maybe he'll be more patient with him than we think. 

3 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

idk that mysterious "illness" he has is suspicious. If I were the conspiracy type I'd say they were keeping him healthy and looking for a trade partner.   Although I believe JJ was one of Gutes guys in that draft. Maybe he'll be more patient with him than we think. 

I think that's why he's the last man in.