Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The Packers were graded as having the 8th best o line. That just doesn't sound right. At least, not right as a projection for how they will do in 2019. Are there even 4 offensive lines that you think will be better ?

RG was a problem last year. I think it will be much improved and with Taylor entering camp healthy, same with Bulaga, the makings are there for top 5 for sure. I"m not sold on Billy Turner and hope one of McCray, Jenkins or Madison beat him out clearly. 

15 hours ago, Golfman said:

RG was a problem last year. I think it will be much improved and with Taylor entering camp healthy, same with Bulaga, the makings are there for top 5 for sure. I"m not sold on Billy Turner and hope one of McCray, Jenkins or Madison beat him out clearly. 

What makes you "not sold" on Turner?  Fans of the Broncos signed off on the guy at guard.  Said he was meh to bad at tackle, but that he found his stride last year as a guard.  Larry McCarren has done a few film cuts up of Turner and loves his movement and feels like he's gonna be a good one and perfect in this scheme.  ...and Larry knows a thing or two about linemen.  Then you hear Rodgers talk about what a tough guy Turner is and how he adds energy and movement to the line.  These are all very good things to hear.

What makes you skeptical of him?  ...I have much more trepidation concerning McCray (UDFA who has been wildly inconsistent for 2 years), Madison (5'th round pick with zero training camp practices or games under his belt) and Jenkins (okay, I think he has an elite skillset, I get excited about him in the lineup).

20 hours ago, Golfman said:

That's a really strange take. We're hoping that Jenkins grows up to be Turner.

Also if we have that contract to a guy getting beat cleanly by two (essentially) rookies and a JAG, we should be furious with Gutekunst.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Also if we have that contract to a guy getting beat cleanly by two (essentially) rookies and a JAG, we should be furious with Gutekunst.

I'm already furious with him though

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm already furious with him though

" firegute.com is 1 year 4 months old. It is a domain having .com extension. This website is estimated worth of $ 8.95 and have a daily income of around $ 0.15.
As no active threats were reported recently by users, firegute.com is SAFE to browse."

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

" firegute.com is 1 year 4 months old. It is a domain having .com extension. This website is estimated worth of $ 8.95 and have a daily income of around $ 0.15.
As no active threats were reported recently by users, firegute.com is SAFE to browse."

Lol. Damn I only paid 99 cents for it that first year. I could have turned a nice profit.

I wonder what ****domcapers.com was worth in it's heyday

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

General Managers swing and miss once in a while. I won't be furious with him because at least he's stepping up to the plate. Hope Turner turns out to be all of that, but careful of the guy who shows up in a contract year after sucking every year prior. 

Just laying out the facts the way I see it:

1. LaFleur will want to implement his own stamp on the offence especially with the OL- that cannot be understated. He repeatedly stated how important the ZBS is to his offense.

2. For some of the starting players that thrived in MM offense they will not neccessarily thrive in LaFleur's offence. This is especially true for the OL.

3. LaFleur's OL will be doing alot more pulls and run blocking than they're used to and that will require linemen with plus movement skills. The additions of Turner and Jenkins is a big nod towards that philosophy.

With those facts in mind I have to say I think people are kidding themselves when they say the starting offensive line (with the exception of Turner) will remain the same. If I had to name bonafide locks it would have to be Bakthiari, Bulaga and Linsley. That leaves both guard positions all to play for. Now looking at what LaFleur wants out of his OL he is going to want players with plus movement skills and for that reason alone it puts Taylor and McCray in a bad spot. Turner is obviously going to nab one of the guard spots and the other is up for grabs.

So it is natural to question Taylor's hold on the guard spot in our OL. I don't care how much you like Taylor, we all liked Daniels and look at what happened!

If he does end up losing his spot he will be far too expensive as a backup OL. A backup on starter coin, Gute will not tolerate that and he will attempt to trade Taylor or cut him. Also when it comes to versatility between Taylor and McCray I think McCray will get the nod. It fair to say that much like Daniels the scheme fit, salary and age will all count against Taylor.

Basically he has to play out of his mind to keep hold of his guard spot otherwise he is gone. I don't think we will keep him as a backup. For no reason whatsoever I have a gut feeling Jenkins will win the other starting guard spot. We didn't invest a 2nd round pick on him for nothing.

As for the backups I think Madison will be our backup guard/centre. McCray might stick around for his versatility. There might be room for one more guard possibly Patrick or Pankey. At OT Spriggs obviously is expected to retain the swing OT spot and on paper his athleticism seems to be a good fit for the new ZBS BUT he has always found a way to disappoint. He might end up being a failed TT holdover that Gute will want to move on from. I'm not gonna lie but I'm absolutely intrigued in Gerhard De Beer and Yosh Nijman and look for one of them to claim a backup OT spot.

EDIT: I created my own list detailing the athleticism measurements of our OL. I sorted it by 40 time for ease of use:

Dt0Vfxj.png

As you can see Taylor and McCray are way down at the bottom and their overall athletic profile isn't anything to shout about hence my pessimism with regards to their fit in LaFleur's ZBS.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Just laying out the facts the way I see it:

1. LaFleur will want to implement his own stamp on the offence especially with the OL- that cannot be understated. He repeatedly stated how important the ZBS is to his offense.

2. For some of the starting players that thrived in MM offense they will not neccessarily thrive in LaFleur's offence. This is especially true for the OL.

3. LaFleur's OL will be doing alot more pulls and run blocking than they're used to and that will require linemen with plus movement skills. The additions of Turner and Jenkins is a big nod towards that philosophy.

With those facts in mind I have to say I think people are kidding themselves when they say the starting offensive line (with the exception of Turner) will remain the same. If I had to name bonafide locks it would have to be Bakthiari, Bulaga and Linsley. That leaves both guard positions all to play for. Now looking at what LaFleur wants out of his OL he is going to want players with plus movement skills and for that reason alone it puts Taylor and McCray in a bad spot. Turner is obviously going to nab one of the guard spots and the other is up for grabs.

So it is natural to question Taylor's hold on the guard spot in our OL. I don't care how much you like Taylor, we all liked Daniels and look at what happened!

If he does end up losing his spot he will be far too expensive as a backup OL. A backup on starter coin, Gute will not tolerate that and he will attempt to trade Taylor or cut him. Also when it comes to versatility between Taylor and McCray I think McCray will get the nod. It fair to say that much like Daniels the scheme fit, salary and age will all count against Taylor.

Basically he has to play out of his mind to keep hold of his guard spot otherwise he is gone. I don't think we will keep him as a backup. For no reason whatsoever I have a gut feeling Jenkins will win the other starting guard spot. We didn't invest a 2nd round pick on him for nothing.

As for the backups I think Madison will be our backup guard/centre. McCray might stick around for his versatility. There might be room for one more guard possibly Patrick or Pankey. At OT Spriggs obviously is expected to retain the swing OT spot and on paper his athleticism seems to be a good fit for the new ZBS BUT he has always found a way to disappoint. He might end up being a failed TT holdover that Gute will want to move on from. I'm not gonna lie but I'm absolutely intrigued in Gerhard De Beer and Yosh Nijman and look for one of them to claim a backup OT spot.

EDIT: I created my own list detailing the athleticism measurements of our OL. I sorted it by 40 time for ease of use:

Dt0Vfxj.png

As you can see Taylor and McCray are way down at the bottom and their overall athletic profile isn't anything to shout about hence my pessimism with regards to their fit in LaFleur's ZBS.

It's a passing league. ZBS is great, but pass protection is king. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a passing league. ZBS is great, but pass protection is king. 

True but with the ball coming out of QB hands so quickly these days the interior pass rush is king yet we still went ahead and got rid of Daniels. We viewed him as replaceable and when you really think about it Taylor is also replaceable. He is just a JAG in NFL terms. He isn't better now compared to Sitton or Lang in their primes. If we had no problems replacing Sitton and Lang then i'm sure we will be absolutely fine replacing Taylor.

It leads back to LaFleur and the type of offence he wants to implement. Taylor is simply a bad fit just like Daniels was a bad fit for Pettine's defence.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

True but with the ball coming out of QB hands so quickly these days the interior pass rush is king yet we still went ahead and got rid of Daniels. We viewed him as replaceable and when you really think about it Taylor is also replaceable. He is just a JAG in NFL terms. He isn't better now compared to Sitton or Lang in their primes. If we had no problems replacing Sitton and Lang then i'm sure we will be absolutely fine replacing Taylor.

It leads back to LaFleur and the type of offence he wants to implement. Taylor is simply a bad fit just like Daniels was a bad fit for Pettine's defence.

Taylor's an average starter, and I seem to remember fairly significant problems replacing Sitton and Lang. 

Going to an unknown in pass protection, without giving your incumbent starter a shot at it first just isn't smart. 

When nose tackle Kenny Clark earns his big contract, he’ll have to send teammate Corey Linsley a thank-you note.

In a one-on-one pass-rushing drill, Clark resumed his yearly training camp matchup with Linsley, the Packers’ starting center. This is their fourth training camp together and the two reps they took against each other were as entertaining as anything that took place on the field.

Linsley twice used his tremendous upper body strength to latch onto Clark rather than retreating and hoping to anchor in front of the quarterback. Clark fires off the ball every time and if you don’t engage him quickly, there’s a chance he’ll zip right past you.

Both times, Clark worked club moves to try to free himself from Linsley’s grip and wound up running free to the quarterback. But he said Linsley won the first match-up because it took him too long to free himself. He said he would score the second attempt as a win.

“Corey is strong as hell,” Clark said. “I love practicing against him because he’s one of the better centers out there. He gets into you and it’s like Velcro.”