How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Did you just pull this entire thing out of your arse? I dont think I have ever read anyone say they are past their prime or washed up. Nor have I heard any one call them the GOAT OL. 

This seems like silly hyperbole to show how much of a Zeke homer you are. 

You aren't paying attention then. Anytime you turn the TV to the Zeke holdout there is some talking head amping up our line.

And yes, just a few months ago they were spoken of as if they weren't what they used to be. Nobody was throwing praise at our line like they are now. I just think it's funny that Zeke holding out makes people hype up our line again, when I just spent half the off season defending them to others who said they were average.

Edited by DaBoys

4 hours ago, matt79511 said:

We've averaged 21.96 PPG with Zeke in the lineup the last two years (16-11, .593, +53 PD) vs. 20.86 without him (4-3, .571, -22 PD)

Is there a difference? I guess. If you take out the games where Tyron is out as well from the latter data set it becomes 3-1 with a +25 differential but these are all small samples. More generally, should Zeke really get 100% of the credit for running through holes an F-150 could drive through against the Lions and 49ers and 0% of the blame when the Rams and Broncos confine him to the LOS? Because that's how fans tend to perceive things.

Zeke gets so much credit for not being there as we got demolished by the Falcons, Eagles, and Chargers 2 years ago (as if off-field unreliability is some merit) that no one actually cares that he was out there for similarly embarrassing performances against the Broncos and Seahawks, or that his return failed to springboard this offense until the Amari trade (17.56 PPG from 2017 Week 16 through 2018 Week 7 vs. 22.27 PPG since).

No one blames Zeke on behalf of the offense when the run game is ineffective, while eagerly blaming either DeMarcus for when the pass rush no-shows... but for some reason, DEs are compensated far better than RBs. I guess it is kind of implicitly understood that those who are independently responsible for their own production have actual bearing on the outcome of games, unlike RBs who are completely dependent on their surroundings, even though no Zeke fanboy would dare to phrase it that way.

What does this have to do with what you quoted about the Giants and Redskins being overlooked? I said they will be no cake walk with or without Zeke.

But no... running backs aren't completely dependent on their surroundings, and you know that. Just like CBs aren't completely dependent on pass rush. Sure a good pass rush can make Average CBs look good, but there is still a difference between Ramsey, and Awuzie. 

What might be a 4 yard run to Alfred Morris may be a 40 yard run for Zeke. A good OLine can move the chains but they can't get explosive plays. 

4 hours ago, J Shank said:

Watching film of Zeke is weird because he makes everything seem easy. This was the case when i studied his Ohio State film. I felt uncertain because he looked like he was handed a ton of yards and space on a silver platter. 

It looks the same now that he is in the NFL. 

Not everything is handed to him. Rod Smith wasn't doing this when he came in. 

tenor.gif

b_button.0.gif

DelayedEllipticalFruitbat-size_restricte

tenor.gif

Why is it that everyone was displeased with Rod Smith last year? Constantly saying we need to upgrade the RB2 position. Even the staff saw it, and drafted 2 RBs. Is it because Smith wasn't that good in relief for Zeke? But now all of a sudden ANYONE can rush behind this line and RBs are interchangeable. 

27 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Why is it that everyone was displeased with Rod Smith last year? Constantly saying we need to upgrade the RB2 position. Even the staff saw it, and drafted 2 RBs. Is it because Smith wasn't that good in relief for Zeke? But now all of a sudden ANYONE can rush behind this line and RBs are interchangeable. 

Rod Smith isn't that bad and for that matter neither is Darius Jackson. But we haven't had a true between the tackles guy since Murray aside from Zeke. 

27 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

What does this have to do with what you quoted about the Giants and Redskins being overlooked? I said they will be no cake walk with or without Zeke.

But no... running backs aren't completely dependent on their surroundings, and you know that. Just like CBs aren't completely dependent on pass rush. Sure a good pass rush can make Average CBs look good, but there is still a difference between Ramsey, and Awuzie. 

What might be a 4 yard run to Alfred Morris may be a 40 yard run for Zeke. A good OLine can move the chains but they can't get explosive plays. 

I guess the way you phrased that post sounded like you were saying “lol we would be lucky to go 2-1 vs these 3 dumpster fire teams without Zeke”

And Morris did have our longest rush in 2017 vs the Rams, fwiw, a game where Zeke was kind of sluggish/playing himself into shape. I guess that’s my main problem with him, I’m not sure he sets the right tone for the franchise as this guy who  rolls out of bed hungover as a Top 3 RB while everyone else grinds through their 18 hour work days to be their best

43 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

And Morris did have our longest rush in 2017 vs the Rams, fwiw, a game where Zeke was kind of sluggish/playing himself into shape. I guess that’s my main problem with him, I’m not sure he sets the right tone for the franchise as this guy who  rolls out of bed hungover as a Top 3 RB while everyone else grinds through their 18 hour work days to be their best

I'm not a fan of Zeke's personality or his tendency to take a few games to get in shape. I don't like his maturity. I was hoping the Cowboys would be a perfect organization to foster his talents and prune his thorns. I'm not sure that is the case now. He, at 23 years old, is certainly not a role model. 

But Dallas made their bed when they picked him 4th overall. He has lived up to expectations, leading the league in rushing yards per game all 3 years since he entered the league. He has never missed a game due to injury. You were going to give him a 2nd contract anyway. Look at this as a blessing. If you sign him now his extension will be cheaper overall than signing him 2 years from now. Every year players get paid more. So now we get a discounted Zeke. When Saquan gets paid it's all over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Rod Smith isn't that bad and for that matter neither is Darius Jackson. But we haven't had a true between the tackles guy since Murray aside from Zeke. 

Really? Because you liked this post in March:

You are proving my point.

Zeke's holdout is literally making people change their evaluations of our roster. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Really? Because you liked this post in March:

You are proving my point.

Zeke's holdout is literally making people change their evaluations of our roster. 

How is that proving your point?

I said Rod nor Darius is a between the tackles runner and that post illustrates that with the 3 YPC stat. They are not bad players they are just not the type we need is what I was saying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I guess the way you phrased that post sounded like you were saying “lol we would be lucky to go 2-1 vs these 3 dumpster fire teams without Zeke”

Well...

I meant we'd be lucky to go 2-1 with or without Zeke, but without him wouldn't be ....beneficial.

and I guess people don't remember how tough the Redskins were last year for us. Their defense is legit. I'm not relieved they are starting Haskins because Colt McCoy nearly beat us with Amari and Zeke. 

The Giants, despite the current WR problems, were extremely tough to beat at the end of last year. Barkley (I know... a worthless RB) is only going to get better. Both divisional opponents seem to give us our money's worth and while Zeke's presence or absence doesn't guarantee a win or a loss respectively, it sure as hell doesn't hurt to have him.

Edited by DaBoys

33 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well...

I meant we'd be lucky to go 2-1 with or without Zeke, but without him wouldn't be ....beneficial.

and I guess people don't remember how tough the Redskins were last year for us. Their defense is legit. I'm not relieved they are starting Haskins because Colt McCoy nearly beat us with Amari and Zeke. 

The Giants, despite the current WR problems, were extremely tough to beat at the end of last year. Barkley (I know... a worthless RB) is only going to get better. Both divisional opponents seem to give us our money's worth and while Zeke's presence or absence doesn't guarantee a win or a loss respectively, it sure as hell doesn't hurt to have him.

All you have to do is look at the Lions game last year, where Zeke nearly had more yards than our QB. Without Zeke, we lose that critical game.

Edited by Tony7188

Here’s my take...  Zeke is the nfl rushing champ for 2 of the last 3 years and the only reason it’s not 3 years in a row was a bogus suspension.

Zeke is also the best football player on the cowboys.  He is truly elite at his position.  The CBA and his current contract all work against him as RBs have a shorter shelf life in the NFL and the cowboys have already overworked Zeke.  In other words after Zeke’s 5th year, he’ll probably only have 2-3 good years left on his body before injuries etc take a toll.  So, I get and understand the holdout.  

Zeke should be paid like the top RB in the NFL.  But because he doesn’t have a lot of bargaining leverage with 2 years left on his contract both sides should work out a team friendly deal that pays Zeke in the top 3 range for the next 3-4 years.

but if Zeke holds out for absolute top dollar, I’d probably move on from him.  At a certain you have to reward the guys that actually show up.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Not everything is handed to him. Rod Smith wasn't doing this when he came in. 

You, literally, left out my qualifying statement regarding Zeke and watching his film . . . it changes everything. 

Basically, what i was saying is that as we were headed into the 16' draft I watched tons of film on him and other backs. His film was extraordinary - obviously his storied college career would suggest the same. But, I sometimes have reservations when watching players on stacked teams; it becomes more difficult to assess how much of their success is owed to them and how much is owed to the supporting team. Obviously, many great players come from great teams, e.g. Alabama. Miami, etc . . . The 2004 Miami Hurricanes sent multiple defenders to the NFL including Vince Wilfork, Johnathan Vilma, DJ Williams, and Sean Taylor on the same defense. The fact that they all played together would have made it difficult (or at least more difficult) to assess how great they are individually. However, they proved themselves in the NFL - it is clear that they were great even without their All-American surrounding class.

What I was alluding to is that Zeke's film makes his success look easy. He is constantly running wild. But, at some point, there must be a recognition that it is him, that is making everything look so easy. He is a beast. I think he is the best all-around back in the NFL.  I am not saying having a great supporting cast around a player ought to be held against that player, but it does make assessment more difficult as it muddies the water a bit. 

Moreover, as more 'statistics' and evidence is compiled, it becomes more and more evident that things looking easy for Zeke is a tribute to him and not others. Vision, anticipation, patience, and instinct are very hard to assess and identify. Leveon Bell used patience and vision to such an extreme it was easy to actually see - him tip toeing around the at the line waiting for things to develop . . .  I think Zeke has that quality, and it makes things look easier for him. He has a really high football IQ, which is part of the reason he is such a capable blocker. He understands defenses, he understands blockers and assignments. He also prefers to run north and south which is not necessarily the best way to produce "highlight."

In the end, the new CBA needs to address the RB issue. These backs need to be paid more under the rookie pay schedule, imo.

• Like 1

I would think if you spend a top t pick on a player, you generally plan on signing them to a second contract assuming they don't bust.  Zeke has met or exceeded his lofty expectations.  Rushing title 2 out of 3 years and the only year he did not, he missed 6 games via suspension and still broke 1000 yards if I'm not mistaken.  Also is strong in pass pro and not a bad receiver out of the backfield.  Given how our system is run, an all-around below like Zeke is huge for our offense.  I consider him the best in the NFL and if not the best is very close.

I understand we may have to make some tough financial decisions, but I would personally be upset if we let him go.  If it were me, I would find a way to lock him up through the remainder of his prime years.