How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

Well I think we can count 3 years (counting this one). With the current Zeke ie too 1-3 RB in game.   After that 1 year maybe too 12.  Then it’s 50/50 if he plays any.   Soooo.  4 years GTD 50 to 60   That’s fair 15 year   Which I think will very soon be the bar with Barkley 

after that shall see but really want to see how next four years are structured it might be say 7 a year over next 7. GTD Getting to that 50 number    That leaves 6 extra for cap total of 13 which will lead to 7 in dead money should we ever cut him which after 4-5 years might not hurt so much. 

We can hope though GTD is  staggered 10-9-8-7-6-5-5.  With salary going the other way also.   The. Dead money would be real small at 5 m last two years     

I imagine it’s balanced some where in the middle.  Maybe this year next year take the big cap hit then filter off to make it easier to sign others.  Though don’t know how much cap space we have right now to manage that

either way the contract is long enough. A huge plus in a way for us to figure how to factor in Coop and Dak

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

8 years, 103M means under 13M APY.

Still think it is too damn high.

As someone who has watched a lot of bad Cowboys football over the past quarter century, this team is probably the best roster we’ve had since our last Super Bowl. 

Letting the Zeke issue linger into the season would have made our team both worse and less fun in 2019.

This one is tough for me. I do believe that RBs are not very valuable. And I also think there is a decent chance we’ll have pain from this contract down the road. But the alternative to signing him is much worse, I think.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eagles suck said:

If he's basically our offseason which is rightfully so, with this contract I hope to see his rushing TDs triple from his 6 he had last year.

That was Linehan. In 2016 when SL was forced out of his scheme to accommodate a rookie, 3rd string, 4th round QB, Zeke had 15 TDs. 

KM sounds like he wants to go back to 2016.

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

That was Linehan. In 2016 when SL was forced out of his scheme to accommodate a rookie, 3rd string, 4th round QB, Zeke had 15 TDs. 

KM sounds like he wants to go back to 2016.

I wish KM would bring our playbook into 2019 instead of going backwards with our offense like everyone else wants to do. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I wish KM would bring our playbook into 2019 instead of going backwards with our offense like everyone else wants to do. 

From what I read, he isn't allowed full control of the offense. It isn't his playbook. The order in which the plays are called, the formations we run the plays out of, the pre snap motions, and looks will change but the playbook is the same. Even Witten said coming back was easier because he didn't have to learn a new offense. KM also said we need to run Zeke more in the redzone, and use Daks legs more. 

So different looks presnap, different play sequence, and running the ball more with Zeke AND Dak is what will change.

From what I understand 

Edited by DaBoys

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

From what I read, he isn't allowed full control of the offense. It isn't his playbook. The order in which the plays are called, the formations we run the plays out of, the pre snap motions, and looks will change but the playbook is the same. Even Witten said coming back was easier because he didn't have to learn a new offense. KM also said we need to run Zeke more in the redzone, and use Daks legs more. 

So different looks presnap, different play sequence, and running the ball more with Zeke AND Dak is what will change.

From what I understand 

Its not Garretts original playbook either. Its a hodgepodge of Garrett/Linehan/Callahan. But honestly, most playbooks are 80-90% shared play design. Disguising plays, timing and execution are the difference. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not Garretts original playbook either. Its a hodgepodge of Garrett/Linehan/Callahan. But honestly, most playbooks are 80-90% shared play design. Disguising plays, timing and execution are the difference. 

And this is what KM does best I think. Everyone says hes a genius.

Zeke is an elite player currently. He's probably got a couple of elite seasons left in him, plus a couple of highly productive seasons, plus a couple of above average years. He's only 24 now so that gets him to 30 by which time the guarantees will have amortized and the team will be considering him year to year.

This is a good deal for both sides. 

39 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

Zeke wins. Jerry caved. Zeke's agents are clearly top notch.

I'm happy for Zeke, but I don't think this is in the team's best interest long term.

How can anyone say this without knowing the structure of the deal? 

Or was just signing him - no matter what - going to be "caving"?