How should the Cowboys handle Zeke? Re-sign him, that's how.

Runaway Jim

What would you do?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Cowboys deal with Zeke?

• Deny him a new contract and wait for him to return
    • Add money to his remaining two years but deny him an extension
    • Sign him to a new 3 year deal that makes him one of the top three highest paid RB in the league
    • Sign him to a new 5 year deal that makes him the highest paid RB in the league
    • Trade him to the highest bidder

16 minutes ago, Runaway Jim said:

I don't agree with Jerry's stance here.  The CBA allows players to hold out for a new deal after three years.  The team will take advantage of any portion of the CBA that benefits them, so it is not reasonable to expect Zeke to not take advantage of his right to hold out. 

Zeke is being smart.  If he just played through his contract the team would tag him in years 6 and 7 and and give him as many carries as possible.  He would probably be pretty washed up by then.

Yeah, I don't care for the tactic. Teams cut bait all the time. That said, the guaranteed money is still owed, so it isn't like the teams walk away free and clear. 

As for the 2nd part, if this happens Zeke is essentially on the hook for a 6 yr deal worth $47m guaranteed. (his 4 yr rook deal $24m and 2 Franchise tags worth about $23m ). 

He'd have played his entire career on guaranteed money. No bad tbh

Edited by WizardHawk

29 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Yeah, I don't care for the tactic. Teams cut bait all the time. That said, the guaranteed money is still owed, so it isn't like the teams walk away free and clear. 

As for the 2nd part, if this happens Zeke is essentially on the hook for a 6 yr deal worth $47m guaranteed. (his 4 yr rook deal $24m and 2 Franchise tags worth about $23m ). 

He'd have played his entire career on guaranteed money. No bad tbh

I feel like I disagree with most everyone on how contracts are structured. Here is how I view it:

1. The GTD money is the teams commitment to the player. The player has to do nothing new to earn it. It is based on previous accomplishments.
  2. The salary is the players commitment to the team. It has to be justified for the team to pay it. If at any point its no longer justified to pay that player, the team doesnt. This is the players earned accomplishments during the contractual agreement.
Edited by Matts4313

It’s kind of what some of us having been saying on here, that having the rushing champion is not a requirement to win it all just because we had him last time. It’s a big admission from Jones.

... but it’s a tough look when this team has had so many All-Pro/HOF players at other positions this century that haven’t won anything either.

This should work out in Dallas' favor. Keep Zeke holding out for probably half the season or at least a quarter of the season. If Dak cannot command his team to a winning record in that time then you know he isnt worth that 40 million a year price tag. So then you pay Zeke what he wants and Daks gets cut in half from 40 mill down to 20-25 million if lucky.

Via Patrick Walker

Update: As of this moment, talks haven't derailed. Instead, they're barreling toward an announcement within the next 24-48 hours, barring any setbacks. My understanding is only language & structure remain to be ironed out -- not money. The midnight hour has arrived. #ZekeWatch

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 3