Week 1 GDT: Panthers @ 49ers

Zithers2

Yeah, Cam's rust was real. He looks to have settled in, though. Stewart looks like the better back out there. Not that CMC looks bad by any stretch, but Stewart is really hitting it well between the tackles. Loving some of Shulda's creativity with the two, which is something I'm a litte shocked to say.

Not a whole lot to complain about, honestly. Good way to start the season. Lets keep them to 3pts the rest of the way. 

Pros:
Cam Newton in the 2nd half
Pass rush
Jonathan Stewart
Graham Gano!
OLine

Cons:
Cam in the 1st half, dear god, he was awful... forcing throws, inaccurate, tunnel vision on Benji...
McCaffrey technically fumbled twice
Flags on punt returns still happening
Carlos Hyde had too many big runs imo

If Cam hit on a couple more throws this thing would have been ever more embarrassing for SF. As it is, not sure we'd have beat many teams with the performance today. SF is just a really, really bad roster and their coach made some boneheaded decision (going for it on 4th down at midfield?).

I hope Cam isn't rusty when we have to deal with a guy who knows us better than anyone else in the NFL. And hope the run defense is ready to be *really* disciplined for Shady.

20 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

And hope the run defense is ready to be *really* disciplined for Shady

Yeah, run D definitely needs to improve. If we hadn't jumped out to a lead in this one, Hyde could've taken over the game. I think we're a better team than Buffalo, but its much, much closer than San Fran.

Yeah we were quite blessed by SF's horrific OLine today, at least on passing downs. Got to the QB a lot. I lurked the SF gameday thread and saw some of them trashing on Star Lotulelei, who went on to have a fantastic game. Found that amusing. Would give the game ball to him and KK Short. Both were looking dominant. Hope we lock Star up before he ever gets a chance to hit free agency.

Also, I could have sworn we had 5 or 6 sacks during the game. Checked the box score after and it's down to 4. Looks like Mike Adams had his sack taken away for some reason. And Mario Addison had one taken away by a CJ penalty.

Did anyone notice on Horton's sack-fumble that the DLine at the time was Horton, Love, Star, and Hall? Pretty bizarre. This was in the late 1st/early 2nd too and we're already trotting out the last guys on the depth chart to give everyone breathers. Peppers didn't seem to show up much early in the game either.

51 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

Horton, Love, Star, and Hall

Didn't realize Hall was in, that's pretty crazy. I sort of zoned out because the announcers though Horton was in at DT. Did notice Peppers seemed absent in the first quarter. Did he play at all in the first? If not, maybe there was some sort of punishment that was kept quiet? My memory of the early game is fuzzy. I could've sworn Hyde had 50 rushing yards just in the first xD

And Star is definitely a beast. So many pressures could've been negated by Hoyer stepping up in the pocket, but that pocket never existed.

Tough loss for the 9ers, but I think they're definitely on the right track. This won't be their season, but with a couple more smart drafts they can be right back in the thick of things.

Yeah, Hall was lined up as the LE. He wears 94 instead of 74 now. Maybe Peppers is gonna be used as the new Addison and just come in on important 3rd downs. He was also in there on a PAT attempt as a TE. In any case, it was awesome to see him back in Carolina Blue even if he wasn't out there all that much.

all in all in was an ugly victory. but a victory nonetheless. I was at the game and cam sure looked rusty as hell. bad decisions, overthrows, missing a wide open td. I know we don't want him to run as much but I still expect him to run some. a lot of open throws were missed as cam locked on to the wrong double covered wr.

the run game was ok as was Cmac but nothing spectacular. the run D did get gashed and sometimes the pass D was beat but the D obviously was pretty good limiting them to 3 pts and mike adams looked solid and saved at least 1 td

a win yes but there needs to be improvement if were going to beat the better teams. luckily one of them isn't next week but shady scares me

10 hours ago, james.mcmurry13 said:

I could've sworn Hyde had 50 rushing yards just in the first xD

Yeah, it was like 4 carries for 41 yards or some ridiculous line. It wasn't even like one 35 yard rush then getting stuffed on the other ones. Pretty much all of them were like 8-12 yard gains. Kind of curious.

1 minute ago, fretgod99 said:

Yeah, it was like 4 carries for 41 yards or some ridiculous line. It wasn't even like one 35 yard rush then getting stuffed on the other ones. Pretty much all of them were like 8-12 yard gains. Kind of curious.

Shanny's always know how to churn out a good run game.  

Archived