Redskins vs Browns Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 1 (8/8/19)

MKnight82

On 7/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, Woz said:

wow

no love for Duke Johnson

never thought I'd see the day where Jeezy threw a Cane under the bus like that.

EDIT: Also apparently abandoned Ray-Ray Armstrong, Jhavontae Dean, Sheldrick Redwine, Chad Thomas, and Olivier Vernon.

It’s a running meme that we like Miami Hurricanes.

https://www.redskins.com/news/practice-notes-2019-skinscamp-day-8

In terms of naming a starter for Thursday's preseason opener in Cleveland, Gruden said that decision will probably be made Tuesday.

-- Colt McCoy and Case Keenum split the first-team reps Saturday, experiencing their own highs and lows.

During 11-on-11s, McCoy led the offense down the field against the starting defense with a long connection to Vernon Davis on a post route along with several shorter completions. But once the Redskins approached the goal line, McCoy threw into traffic in the middle of the end zone and paid for it. Landon Collins was right there to snag the one-handed interception, and then he took off down the left sideline with plenty of blockers in front of him. On another play earlier in practice, McCoy made another questionable decision, firing a deep ball with no wide receivers in the vicinity that almost led to another Jimmy Moreland interception.

Keenum began his final 11-on-11 session with a long touchdown pass to Brian Quick on a post route, but the throw came after edge defender Jordan Brailford burst into the backfield for a would-be sack. From there, Keenum connected with Robert Davis but then capped his day with two straight incompletions in the red zone.

-- Rookie Dwayne Haskins handed the ball off three times and threw an incompletion during his opening 11-on-11 session. A rare miscommunication between Haskins and Ohio State teammate Terry McLaurin caused the misfire, as McLaurin cut out while Haskins launched the pass downfield. Afterwards, Haskins immediately assumed the blame by tapping his chest.

During his final 11-on-11 session, Haskins delivered a wobbly throw downfield that Kelvin Harmon was still able to catch using just one hand. He proceeded to throw two incompletions mixed between several runs, but he capped Saturday's practice with a short touchdown to Donald Parham. Haskins and the 6-foot-8 tight end have shown to have a good relationship since the team signed Parham in June.

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

As they shouldn’t. Work this out so you don’t have to waste a first round pick on a LT next year. 

It's not a huge deal to me. Trent isn't going to play forever. They're going to have to draft a LT high eventually - if Christian doesn't look like he can eventually start - next year is as good as any to draft a LT high, IMO.

Now that they have Haskins, a bunch of young WRs, mostly a young OL except for a few vets they brought in & Trent, a few young RBs and mostly a young defense; next year seems as good a any to take a LT high that can grow and develop with Haskins and this mostly young team.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

As they shouldn’t. Work this out so you don’t have to waste a first round pick on a LT next year. 

They might want to start looking for the next franchise tackle anyway, Williams isn't getting younger and has a history of injuries since 2013, aside from the obvious contract issues.  WIth a franchise QB in Haskins, the Redskins really need to target a #1 receiver for him and a LT to protect his blindside into the future.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It's not a huge deal to me. Trent isn't going to play forever. They're going to have to draft a LT high eventually - if Christian doesn't look like he can eventually start - next year is as good as any to draft a LT high, IMO.

Now that they have Haskins, a bunch of young WRs, mostly a young OL except for a few vets they brought in & Trent, a few young RBs and mostly a young defense; next year seems as good a any to take a LT high that can grow and develop with Haskins and this mostly young team.

Yup. Because make no mistake, even IF Trent comes back this year, unless he has a new contract, he is only going to play 2 more years for us. And even if he DOES have a new contract, I bet we barely get three out of him. So with that in mind, let's get his replacement now, let him come back this year and play out his contract next year, and then when he signs in FA to another team, we pocket the 3rd rounder for him.

Or, we just trade him for a 2nd and 4th 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Because make no mistake, even IF Trent comes back this year, unless he has a new contract, he is only going to play 2 more years for us. And even if he DOES have a new contract, I bet we barely get three out of him. So with that in mind, let's get his replacement now, let him come back this year and play out his contract next year, and then when he signs in FA to another team, we pocket the 3rd rounder for him.

Or, we just trade him for a 2nd and 4th 

I think we need to send Brice a telegram that a 2nd and 4th is just better than a 3rd round comp pick in 2022??...

ugh! Effin Brice Allen! Thinks he’s smart but is dumb as a box of rocks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

That’s why I’m a Browns fan #HTTB

Be prepared for more disappointment than you’ve had a redskins fan in your lifeltime then. I have a lot of family members who are browns fans. My grandfather saw them win NFL Championships in his 20s & 30s but never a Super Bowl in his lifetime.