Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

32 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Perhaps but hearing Gruden talk about new lineman signed, it seems like he has little to no say on who is on the roster. That's is Bruce and Dan. He was obviously very disheartened that Catalina was cut. 

I don't hear it that way. I think he's disappointed that Catalina is cut bc he's a young UDFA they brought in two years ago and he had hoped he developed into a better player but he hasn't.

I don't think Gruden has a problem at all with the signings of Penn - who could be our starting LT all year - or Thornton who could be our starting LG if Flowers doesn't get better.

Today I heard from Al Galdi that Wes Martin has struggled some at LG. He hasn't been all bad, but at this point it doesn't look like he should be starting. 

Of course I’d rather watch a rookie struggle, learn and develop than to watch a vet suck.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

An even handed, both sides are to blame article ... didn't see that coming.

The worrying thing though is the conclusion: it's just a matter of when, not if, for the breakup to be finalized. Cannot say I disagree with that conclusion either.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If I really believe that this all stems from Trent Williams being insecure over us picking Geron Christian in the 3rd round, then my opinion of TW just sank.  Between him and moses someone is constantly nicked up and nsekhe has been hurt too.  Why wouldn't we pick up a tackle?  Is he really that scared of competition?  I don't think the front office or coaching staff should have to justify picks to existing players. 

Honestly, I have a hard time buying this article tells us everything.  If it does then it almost seems like Trent is making mountains out of mole hills to justify an exit request or a contract renegotiation request.  If you want to leave, just say you want to leave.  

6 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If I really believe that this all stems from Trent Williams being insecure over us picking Geron Christian in the 3rd round, then my opinion of TW just sank.  Between him and moses someone is constantly nicked up and nsekhe has been hurt too.  Why wouldn't we pick up a tackle?  Is he really that scared of competition?  I don't think the front office or coaching staff should have to justify picks to existing players. 

Honestly, I have a hard time buying this article tells us everything.  If it does then it almost seems like Trent is making mountains out of mole hills to justify an exit request or a contract renegotiation request.  If you want to leave, just say you want to leave.  

As the article discusses, it was a bunch of things over the last year and a half that could have been fixed at any time if either side could have said "what the hell is going on??" and probably cleared the air.

Just now, Slateman said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Williams is doing this because he decided to smoke up over the offseason and now he's just trying to flush his system?

They can still test you in the offseason.

Donald Penn said he’s good friends with Trent and that they talked before he decided to sign with Washington so it makes me wonder

1) if the organization is that bad according to Trent then why would he talk to Penn and then Penn want to sign with the organization 

2) Penn wants to start and Trent told him he won’t be back so the starting role is all his

3) Trent plans to come back and wanted Penn on the team since they are close friends, and must have talked good about the organization if he is signing

it just seems a little weird to me. 

I don’t buy the Christian thing at all, with Penn being signed that’s a direct signal to Trent that Christian isn’t a threat

there are 5 things I look to do 

1) make the last year guaranteed, and add another year with a slight raise

2) be on the phone with Minny about a potential trade. Williams and Doctson for Diggs

3) try to get a 1st out of the Patriots who are the only team I think would offer a 1st rounder, we would prob have to give up a 4th or 5th with it

4) contact the Texans who are desperate for a LT to protect Watson, or the Browns who could use him too

5) let it play out. He’s under contract for 2 years. They say money isn’t the problem but I highly doubt he would sit a whole season and destroy his value when time comes for his next contract

Edited by LoganF89

Just now, LoganF89 said:

1) if the organization is that bad according to Trent then why would he talk to Penn and then Penn want to sign with the organization 

Because he doesn't really have many other options to start.  

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

2) Penn wants to start and Trent told him he won’t be back so the starting role is all his

Yep probably this.

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

3) Trent plans to come back and wanted Penn on the team since they are close friends, and must have talked good about the organization if he is signing

it just seems a little weird to me. 

I think this is unlikely as well.  Doubtful Trent had anything nice to say.  

2 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I don’t buy the Christian thing at all, with Penn being signed that’s a direct signal to Trent that Christian isn’t a threat

there are 3 things I look to do 

Agreed.  I seriously doubt Trent is threatened by Christian.  

3 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

1) make the last year guaranteed, and add another year with a slight raise

Couldn't hurt.  

3 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

2) be on the phone with Minny about a potential trade. Williams and Doctson for Diggs

Personally I would rather have draft picks that a veteran, even a young vet.  I don't think we are close to competing.  

4 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

3) try to get a 1st out of the Patriots who are the only team I think would offer a 1st rounder, we would prob have to give up a 4th or 5th with it

Yep Pats make sense to me.  They could use a LT and are competing right now. 

4 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

4) contact the Texans who are desperate for a LT to protect Watson, or the Browns who could use him too

I'm not sure if the Texans would make this trade or not, but I'm down.  

5 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

5) let it play out. He’s under contract for 2 years. They say money isn’t the problem but I highly doubt he would sit a whole season and destroy his value when time comes for his next contract

Pretty sure this is what petty Bruce will do.  

32 minutes ago, Woz said:

An even handed, both sides are to blame article ... didn't see that coming.

The worrying thing though is the conclusion: it's just a matter of when, not if, for the breakup to be finalized. Cannot say I disagree with that conclusion either.

The problem is this, one side is an irreplaceable LT that wins you games on the field, the other side is an easily replaceable and many times proven terrible medical staff with a snake for a boss.  Which one should go?

Edited by MKnight82

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The problem is this, one side is an irreplaceable LT that wins you games on the field, the other side is an easily replaceable and many times proven terrible medical staff with a snake for a boss.  Which one should go?

If the decision maker is Daniel Snyder, I think we all know what the answer is.

As I said earlier, the main problem is that replacing the training staff now is going to be incredibly difficult. For all the failings, the players need someone there right now. It takes time to hire someone. It takes time for patients to get used to new doctors (and doctors to their new patients), and right now, the last thing you want to do is introduce even more uncertainty. Canning the lot of them after the season? That's entirely doable and should have already been done years ago.