Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

5 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

so reports are trents willing to sit out games and sources close to him say that hes done, period. with that being said i am still trying to gauge a market value for him and what I came up with is that the last LT to be traded that was a star tackle was Duane Brown to the seahawks. I want to say that seattle traded a 3rd and a future 2nd to get him. Now heres the thing Brown was also 31 when he was traded and I think we can all agree that Trent is a better tackle than Brown is. So that being said if he really plans to not play I hold him out and wait for a 1st round pick for him

Right. The salary cap space is a sunk cost anyway. And his rights remain ours if he sits out. 

So wait until a team gets desperate and then trade him. If they aren't that desperate, we keep him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

so reports are trents willing to sit out games and sources close to him say that hes done, period. with that being said i am still trying to gauge a market value for him and what I came up with is that the last LT to be traded that was a star tackle was Duane Brown to the seahawks. I want to say that seattle traded a 3rd and a future 2nd to get him. Now heres the thing Brown was also 31 when he was traded and I think we can all agree that Trent is a better tackle than Brown is. So that being said if he really plans to not play I hold him out and wait for a 1st round pick for him

There is the Duane Brown comp, but I also pointed out the Antonio Brown comparison, and how both he and Williams are elite level talents, but also backed their teams into a corner in regards to their trade demands.  That does diminish their value.  Getting a conditional third may be the best option.  

Both sides right now think they hold all of the cards, but in reality, they need to meet in the middle and figure something out.  If not, Williams is going to stay at home, and the Redskins will happily keep him on the restricted list, because Bruce Allen will not allow himself to "lose" this.  

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There is the Duane Brown comp, but I also pointed out the Antonio Brown comparison, and how both he and Williams are elite level talents, but also backed their teams into a corner in regards to their trade demands.  That does diminish their value.  Getting a conditional third may be the best option.  

Both sides right now think they hold all of the cards, but in reality, they need to meet in the middle and figure something out.  If not, Williams is going to stay at home, and the Redskins will happily keep him on the restricted list, because Bruce Allen will not allow himself to "lose" this.  

an elite LT is way more valuable than an elite WR, especially with the personal;ity of AB. a LT will always play well on almost any team. the same cant be said for a WR

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

an elite LT is way more valuable than an elite WR, especially with the personal;ity of AB. a LT will always play well on almost any team. the same cant be said for a WR

I don't agree with this statement.  A legit elite WR is worth more than an elite LT, and their contracts back that up.  The top paid LT in the league makes on average $16 mil per season:

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/ 

There are 8 WRs in the NFL that make more money per year than that:

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

It seems that NFL GMs value an elite WR more than an elite LT.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't agree with this statement.  A legit elite WR is worth more than an elite LT, and their contracts back that up.  The top paid LT in the league makes on average $16 mil per season:

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/ 

There are 8 WRs in the NFL that make more money per year than that:

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

It seems that NFL GMs value an elite WR more than an elite LT.  

Know why?

You can scheme your way into decent protection if you have an average LT. But an average WR? Not so much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Know why?

You can scheme your way into decent protection if you have an average LT. But an average WR? Not so much.

Yeah, we can put a blocking TE on that side... oh wait... we don’t have one! 🤣 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1