Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Redskins signed UDFA ILB previously signed/ released by K C , Gary Johnson, Texas. 

Smallish 6 feet 223 lbs , Excellent speed 4.43 40 yard dash . Nice 2 year career at Texas. 

I think this is just camp fodder but given our injuries to SDH & Holcomb I just don't know.

Craig Hoffman said this morning that Holcomb isn't expected to play this Thursday but if it was a regular season game he would.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

the smith deal has to rank as an all time worst deal for the franchise. 

I guess it's turned out to be but no one could have predicted his injury last year.

Haynesworth IMO was worse bc he just took the money and didn't do anything or really even try hard in some games.

Alex showed up for everything, gave it his all and is still around helping Case and Haskins learn and develop in this offense.

I’ll have a shot of whatever this guy is having!

I think this is the absolutely best-case scenario for this years team and I would have loved to hear his reasoning behind the Redskins getting to 8 wins. I'm sure it has to do with the Running game and defense being amazing while whoever starts at QB manages the game well and doesn't have a lot of turnovers.

I'm still on the losing season kick which is weird for me bc I'm usually optimistic about the Redskins and usually I think at worst they'll be 8-8.

I still see the Redskins having anywhere from 4 to 6 wins but I will admit they'll probably find a way to get to 7-9 again like Lavar keeps saying. I still think the best thing for the Redskins this year is for them to be picking near the top 5 for their future.  Now, if Haskins and the young kids ball out and that's a main reason they would have had a winning sas one, that would be different but, I doubt happens.

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think this is just camp fodder but given our injuries to SDH & Holcomb I just don't know.

Craig Hoffman said this morning that Holcomb isn't expected to play this Thursday but if it was a regular season game he would.

Man, I was thinking London Fletcher -Deux oh

small but fast !

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess it's turned out to be but no one could have predicted his injury last year.

Haynesworth IMO was worse bc he just took the money and didn't do anything or really even try hard in some games.

Alex showed up for everything, gave it his all and is still around helping Case and Haskins learn and develop in this offense.

it was a horrible contract for a 34 year old qb. 

2 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

it was a horrible contract for a 34 year old qb. 

Not for a QB, most QBs today are playing to near or over 40 if they keep themselves in the shape that Alex did. As long as a QB doesn't have a catastrophic injury in their 30s then they usually play until their late 30s is they want to.

Edited by turtle28

I really don't understand the negative predictions.  I don't think much of Jay Gruden at all, but things are not that bad.  

We have a stable scheme on both sides of the ball.  While the qb play is a question mark, it can't be worse than last year.  The only major question marks we have are LT, ILB and WR and both WR and ILB positions have some high potential options.  

The Trent Williams situation is not ideal, but it could be worse.  Lots of teams have sub par spots on oline or injured players.  To me, on paper, this is a very good opportunity year for this team.  I think this is the year Jay Gruden either shows he is a legit head coach or not.  

23 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I really don't understand the negative predictions.  I don't think much of Jay Gruden at all, but things are not that bad.  

We have a stable scheme on both sides of the ball.  While the qb play is a question mark, it can't be worse than last year.  The only major question marks we have are LT, ILB and WR and both WR and ILB positions have some high potential options.  

The Trent Williams situation is not ideal, but it could be worse.  Lots of teams have sub par spots on oline or injured players.  To me, on paper, this is a very good opportunity year for this team.  I think this is the year Jay Gruden either shows he is a legit head coach or not.  

We have more question marks than just LT, ILB and WR. 

LG is still a question mark and FS is a question mark on top of the most important position, QB, which you mentioned.

That's 6 positions on offense which are question marks:

QB, LT, LG, WR1, WR2 & slot

And 3 positions on defense:

Both ILB spots and FS

Out of 22 starters, we have question marks at 9 positions. Now, I'm sure some of these positions will work themselves out and we’ll at least have serviceable starters there but it's hard to deny that at this moment we have a lot of questions amongst our starters and we didn't have that many last year or even the year before.

And of course our QB play can be worse than last year. While Alex was only average as a passer - a lot of which was bc we had so many injuries to his best targets - we could have the same kind of production from Keenum or Haskins with more turnovers than what we had last year. If you're talking about after Alex got hurt though, we certainly had a big mess at QB and it's hard to imagine that many injuries happening at QB again.

16 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Wonder what he weighed when he came into the league ?

Not sure, I'll try to find out. I'm not sure if he was at the NFL combine though.

I looked around and I couldn't find what Fletcher weighed in college or at the NFL scouting combine.

I think it's a but unfair/unrealistic to compare an rookie/young player to Fletcher though. We haven't even seen the guy play yet, baby steps.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We have more question marks than just LT, ILB and WR. 

LG is still a question mark and FS is a question mark on top of the most important position, QB, which you mentioned.

That's 6 positions on offense which are question marks:

QB, LT, LG, WR1, WR2 & slot

And 3 positions on defense:

Both ILB spots and FS

Out of 22 starters, we have question marks at 9 positions. Now, I'm sure some of these positions will work themselves out and we’ll at least have serviceable starters there but it's hard to deny that at this moment we have a lot of questions amongst our starters and we didn't have that many last year or even the year before.

And of course our QB play can be worse than last year. While Alex was only average as a passer - a lot of which was bc we had so many injuries to his best targets - we could have the same kind of production from Keenum or Haskins with more turnovers than what we had last year. If you're talking about after Alex got hurt though, we certainly had a big mess at QB and it's hard to imagine that many injuries happening at QB again.

I think that is a pessimistic way of looking at it.  Sometimes I think people aren't satisfied unless we have a pro bowl player at every position and have everyone healthy.  That just isn't realistic and will never happen.  

Hard to name a team that doesn't have a similar number of question marks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure, I'll try to find out. I'm not sure if he was at the NFL combine though.

I looked around and I couldn't find what Fletcher weighed in college or at the NFL scouting combine.

I think it's a but unfair/unrealistic to compare an rookie/young player to Fletcher though. We haven't even seen the guy play yet, baby steps.

For sure - I guess the joke part didn't come through . In reality- he'll probably be cut- maybe catch the P S .

If Sweat is anything in real life, like the way he is in Madden 20……?

We won't need an Offense.

I've not seen a player as good as him in any video game since LT & BO in Tecmo Bowl.

And this includes Sean Taylor who was awesome.

I've played 10 full games & 7 minute Qtrs in Madden 20.

I've never finish a game with less than 3 sacks with Sweat.

It's rediculous. 

Lmao at acting like 8-8 would be difficult. This team was most likely going to win 9 games with Alex Smith who was absolutely dreadful last year. With a running game and an improved defense 8 wins is definitely in the realm of possibility. And I honestly don’t think the drop off from Smith to Keenum will be that big. I think Case can do exactly why Alex was going.