Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Yeah, okay. But Vegas has Dak as the third highest odds to win MVP (Behind Jackson and Mahomes).

So there is a very real possibility in which Dak wins MVP. If(when) that happens, his contract will be massive. Nothing Bobby said in that tweet was wrong. It is something to absolutely prepare for - especially if the season goes like many of us hope it does:

• Three 1k WR's.
  • Jawin Szn!
  • Zeek Eats.
  • Pollard showcase.

When he actually does it, then he'll be worth it

As of now, he's an 8-8 QB coming off a bunch a bulk stats and losses in must win games

9 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Yeah, okay. But Vegas has Dak as the third highest odds to win MVP (Behind Jackson and Mahomes).

So there is a very real possibility in which Dak wins MVP. If(when) that happens, his contract will be massive. Nothing Bobby said in that tweet was wrong. It is something to absolutely prepare for - especially if the season goes like many of us hope it does:

• Three 1k WR's.
  • Jawin Szn!
  • Zeek Eats.
  • Pollard showcase.

This feels like patting ourselves on the back again. *If* the team is as dominant as certain publications are projecting, they probably aren't going to throw the ball as much. I'm definitely not expecting a 1000 yard season from Ceedee as a rookie in a messed up offseason.

On the opposite end of this "13-3, 1-seed, all the end of season awards" spectrum, which could absolutely be followed up by another divisional round exit, I would arguably rather see what ESPN just had us doing in a sim- going 9-7, getting a wild card and rolling off three straight road playoff wins. This team just needs to stay in the mix, I think we should cool it on the lofty projections until we actually see them play. The Collins situation coupled with Frederick's retirement doesn't help matters, OL looks closer to 2018 level now than it does 2016.

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

This feels like patting ourselves on the back again. *If* the team is as dominant as certain publications are projecting, they probably aren't going to throw the ball as much. I'm definitely not expecting a 1000 yard season from Ceedee as a rookie in a messed up offseason.

On the opposite end of this "13-3, 1-seed, all the end of season awards" spectrum, which could absolutely be followed up by another divisional round exit, I would arguably rather see what ESPN just had us doing in a sim- going 9-7, getting a wild card and rolling off three straight road playoff wins. This team just needs to stay in the mix, I think we should cool it on the lofty projections until we actually see them play. The Collins situation coupled with Frederick's retirement doesn't help matters, OL looks closer to 2018 level now than it does 2016.

I don't see how Vegas giving Dak the third best odds to win the MVP is us patting ourselves on the back. Expectations should be high. An experience coaching staff replacing one that was often criticized for not tapping into the offenses potential has cemented the belief that this should be an explosive season. COVID-19 certainly sucks, and could derail everything - but I don't think it is a stretch to say expectations are rightfully high.

Yet, despite all that, it still misses the point that if Vegas is right and Dak has an MVP season, he is going to cost a lot of money. Fan expectations =/= Vegas betting.

5 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't see how Vegas giving Dak the third best odds to win the MVP is us patting ourselves on the back. Expectations should be high. An experience coaching staff replacing one that was often criticized for not tapping into the offenses potential has cemented the belief that this should be an explosive season. COVID-19 certainly sucks, and could derail everything - but I don't think it is a stretch to say expectations are rightfully high.

Yet, despite all that, it still misses the point that if Vegas is right and Dak has an MVP season, he is going to cost a lot of money. Fan expectations =/= Vegas betting.

https://www.thelines.com/odds/nfl-mvp/

According to this, Dak has consensus odds of +1364 to win MVP, 4th amongst NFL players, for an implied probability of 6.8%. Stating something with a ~7% of happening as a matter of fact is, to me, patting ourselves on the back. It's far more likely COVID ends the season after a month than it is Bobby's exact scenario plays out to fruition.

Do I think Dak could win MVP this year, sure it’s possible, but I think fans underestimate (and these odds account for) just how dramatically he's going to outperform every other QB to actually do it. I remember getting a push notification on my phone just before the Sunday Night game against New Orleans last year that said something the effect of “Tune in to watch Ezekiel Elliott’s Cowboys take on Teddy Bridgewater’s Saints!” Like, Zeke was playing himself into shape after the holdout, Dak was coming off his best statistical three-game stretch of his career, Kamara was active… and New Orleans’ QB2 still earned the top billing our QB1 could not by at least one discreet function of the media. Fair or not, Dak has to be *so much better* than both his peers and what he’s been to this point to get any credit from voters because the narrative has been working against him for ages now.

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

https://www.thelines.com/odds/nfl-mvp/

According to this, Dak has consensus odds of +1364 to win MVP, 4th amongst NFL players, for an implied probability of 6.8%. Stating something with a ~7% of happening as a matter of fact is, to me, patting ourselves on the back. It's far more likely COVID ends the season after a month than it is Bobby's exact scenario plays out to fruition.

Do I think Dak could win MVP this year, sure it’s possible, but I think fans underestimate (and these odds account for) just how dramatically he's going to outperform every other QB to actually do it. I remember getting a push notification on my phone just before the Sunday Night game against New Orleans last year that said something the effect of “Tune in to watch Ezekiel Elliott’s Cowboys take on Teddy Bridgewater’s Saints!” Like, Zeke was playing himself into shape after the holdout, Dak was coming off his best statistical three-game stretch of his career, Kamara was active… and New Orleans’ QB2 still earned the top billing our QB1 could not by at least one discreet function of the media. Fair or not, Dak has to be *so much better* than both his peers and what he’s been to this point to get any credit from voters because the narrative has been working against him for ages now.

I actually think that is what makes it so interesting is how this season is influx. Say Jackson gets injured & Mahomes misses time for COVID and Dak wins the MVP as a result.

I expect this season to be very weird, if it even lasts all season. Despite all that, I am super excited.

24 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I actually think that is what makes it so interesting is how this season is influx. Say Jackson gets injured & Mahomes misses time for COVID and Dak wins the MVP as a result.

I expect this season to be very weird, if it even lasts all season. Despite all that, I am super excited.

Fair enough. I'm excited, too. I definitely expect our team to be good and Dak to post crazy numbers.

I just feel like, by putting that take out there, Bobby is kind of trolling us, because he knows that if Dak's MVP is not coupled a Super Bowl win, that "fans" and haters alike will decry the award and ensuing contract as illegitimate. And they absolutely will.

24 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I just feel like, by putting that take out there, Bobby is kind of trolling us, because he knows that if Dak's MVP is not coupled a Super Bowl win, that "fans" and haters alike will decry the award and ensuing contract as illegitimate. And they absolutely will.

That's what happened with Cam, no?

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Followed by maybes Zekes worst game in his career. 

Yeah I remember seeing that and just being like, what does Dak have to do to get more credit for existing than Teddy Bridgewater? Win the Super Bowl, apparently. But really, to win the MVP this year I think he's going to need to have the best record, rate efficiency and bulk stats, and that's a lot to ask. Otherwise, voters may come up with someone else. He's in the mix, I just object to Bobby using his platform to state his opinions as facts, but whatever.

7 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

That's what happened with Cam, no?

Cam signed his extension before the 2015 season, but yeah he's always been a lightning rod. And our team triples that level of polarization- it's seemingly impossible for people have a rational, level-headed conversation about the Cowboys. What an experience it is to be a fan of this team.

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

WAS that the game Zeke looked winded and lazy? Especially on the INT?

Rushing Receiving Scoring Fumbles Off. Snaps Def. Snaps ST Snaps
Rk Year Date G# Week Age Tm   Opp Result GS Att Yds Y/A
TD Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Ctch% Y/Tgt TD Pts Fmb FL FF FR Yds TD Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
1 2017 2017-09-17 2 2 22.057 DAL @ DEN L 17-42 * 9 8 0.89 0 5 4 14 3.50 0 80.0% 2.80 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 63 89% 0 0% 0 0%
2 2019 2019-09-29 4 4 24.069 DAL @ NOR L 10-12 * 18 35 1.94 1 7 6 30 5.00 0 85.7% 4.29 1 6 1 1 0 0 0 0 56 97% 0 0% 0 0%

He looked terrible across the board. This was the game that everyone assumed Garrett was calling plays because we went run heavy at the end of the game and couldnt get anything going. I remember watching the Voss Leach breakdown and he actually put most of the blame on the players not the coaches. Said Dak kept checking to runs because it was 5 and 6 man boxes, but Zeke just looked so damn slow. 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:07 PM, D82 said:

They likely cost themselves $8-10MM/yr by not getting a deal done sooner. Complete hack job by the front office.

Let's say we signed Dak to a $32MM/year contract in 2019 (similar to Wentz).

Well, we had him on the roster last year for $2MM. That means we saved $30MM in cap that can roll over into future years. Even if we have to sign him for $42MM/year, you are looking at a total lost opportunity cost of ~$2.5MM in cap space per year over the life of the contract. Or roughly what we threw down the toilet with HaHa Clinton Dix.

Money-wise, this is not the end of the world. At all. Team-wise, it would sure be nice to have this behind us.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Let's say we signed Dak to a $32MM/year contract in 2019 (similar to Wentz).

Well, we had him on the roster last year for $2MM. That means we saved $30MM in cap that can roll over into future years. Even if we have to sign him for $42MM/year, you are looking at a total lost opportunity cost of ~$2.5MM in cap space per year over the life of the contract. Or roughly what we threw down the toilet with HaHa Clinton Dix.

Money-wise, this is not the end of the world. At all. Team-wise, it would sure be nice to have this behind us.

Thats not entirely true, because it would have been an extension (like Wentz/Goff), his salary would have still been $2m. His prorated signing bonus would have been the only thing to hit.

Dak is such a southerner. Riding ATVs to his private football field and fishing hole. My fav lines:

Dak: You want to run a route?

Reporter: I didnt even make to JV football

Dak: Just put your hands out and I will do the rest (Sandlot reference FTW)

And then he actually did it. 40 yard TD, Dak hit him perfectly. 

• Like 1