Why do Texans fans hate Bill O'Brien?

Activated10

On 8/12/2019 at 12:25 AM, Texansfan713 said:

not sure if serious..

he wasnt even good at penn st....he damn sure aint have penn st on the level as james franklin is right now.

While I agree...he walked into a terrible situation at Penn State.

Regardless, he is an extremely mediocre NFL coach. 

2 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

The Texans have been patient to a fault. There's being patient and there's seeing that either a)it was a botched hire and to cut the cord (see Steve Wilks)  or b)there is no positive trajectory/skill development and that he won't be good enough in the future. BoB is the latter. By year three it was evident he was a JAG coach but they won just enough to be scared and pull the trigger. While it happens mostly with franchise QBs, BoB can probably thank JJ Watt/the defense for covering up for him for as long as they have.

This is actually a pretty common function to the entire franchise to date. Gary Kubiak was mired in 8-8-type seasons (had two 6-10s and one 9-7 thrown in there) from 2006-2010 and never really felt the heat, not until a disasterous 2-14 season in 2013. GM Rick Smith had a shaky track record of letting talented players walk and missing on rounds 2-7, but he didn't leave his post until 2017 (technically, he was never fired). 

It's a function of the McNairs, Bob and Cal - they're not going to fire anyone, even if they have example after example of incompetence. 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:40 PM, tab said:

personally its because he f***** up every game we have against the patriots 

You sound like a Steeler fan talking about Tomlin.

Then again, that's the case for most coaches.

B O B has an incredible young QB and the best WR in the league not named Julio.(AB took his talents to toilet backwash stadium so watch his numbers shrink)

His team put up 7 points at home in the playoffs.

This would be bad if it did not follow getting shut out at home in the playoffs in 2015  (30-0 Chiefs win)

Put them together and he should have been fired.

Beating Connor Cook at home in 2016 does not equal job security.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

And I believe the only time the Texans were close to beating the Pats under O'Brien was in the 2017 season.

Yup, Watson's second start as a pro - he was electric, but the secondary was a disaster and cost the Texans the game with less than a minute left.

Similar things happened vs Seattle that year...

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You sound like a Steeler fan talking about Tomlin.

Then again, that's the case for most coaches.

has Mike Tomlin ever been dunked on by blaine gabbert?

Edited by tab
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

No, but he was dunked on by Terrell Pryor, Bruce Gradkowski and Tim Tebow.

O'Brien has been dunked on by Patriots' Jacoby Brissett and Colts' Jacoby Brissett. Dunked on by Blake Bortles a few times. Dunked on by last years' Eli to the tune of 20/27, 287, 3/0. Marcus Mariota was 22/23 for 303, 3/0 in a WIN last season (just goes to show that even if Mariota is nearly perfect, he's not good).

I know it's not a pissing contest, but I had to catch up to that Tebow one.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, SkippyX said:

B O B has an incredible young QB and the best WR in the league not named Julio.(AB took his talents to toilet backwash stadium so watch his numbers shrink)

His team put up 7 points at home in the playoffs.

This would be bad if it did not follow getting shut out at home in the playoffs in 2015  (30-0 Chiefs win)

Put them together and he should have been fired.

Beating Connor Cook at home in 2016 does not equal job security.

Hopkins is my favorite receiver in the league and I think that he is arguably the most valuable. At least arguable enough that he needs no parentheses tangents to explain why one would take him.