Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I don't think it's fair to say that Kawhi Leonard was 'playing' the Lakers.  He probably had the Lakers as a legit destination, if the Clippers were not able to trade for Paul George.  A lot of people were upset at Leonard for 'prolonging' his decision, but in reality, he was only waiting to see if the Clippers could get George.  If the Clippers were not able to get George, then Leonard going to the Lakers might have happened.  It just took days for all this to happen because Leonard made a request that nobody was ready for (acquire Paul George).

Based on reports his focus was always on the Clippers though. He called Kevin Durant at the beginning of free agency to gauge if he'd be interested in joining him with the Clippers. When that failed he put the full-court press on recruiting Paul George to the Clippers. I mean he even went as far as asking the Lakers to move the meeting so he could meet PG face to face after the meeting and he also asked them to delay the AD trade to buy more time for a potential PG to LAC trade. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

He literally could have done that at any point in time prior to meeting with the Lakers.  He was looking for an excuse not to join the Lakers.  He found something.  Remember how "excited" Paul George was to stick with Westbrook?  But either way, you're dodging my question.  Did you have reason to believe he was available?

I personally didn't know PG13 was available but I don't think 99% of the basketball world knew either. It came out of left field. But behind the scenes Kawhi was pushing hard to make it happen. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Based on reports his focus was always on the Clippers though. He called Kevin Durant at the beginning of free agency to gauge if he'd be interested in joining him with the Clippers. When that failed he put the full-court press on recruiting Paul George to the Clippers. I mean he even went as far as asking the Lakers to move the meeting so he could meet PG face to face after the meeting and he also asked them to delay the AD trade to buy more time for a potential PG to LAC trade. 

His priority might have absolutely been the Clippers, but you said it yourself you didn't think he was going to the Clippers alone.  And nobody predicted that Paul George was going to be dealt to the Clippers.  Hence the reason why I threw the 5% out at the time.  I didn't think Kawhi would go to the Clippers without another star, and based on Woj's reporting that seems accurate.

And I don't remember who reported it, but apparently the Wizards and Pelicans had already agreed to delay their 3-way trade until the conclusion of the Kawhi saga.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

His priority might have absolutely been the Clippers, but you said it yourself you didn't think he was going to the Clippers alone.  

It was 100% on the Clippers or why was he putting the full court press on guys to join him there? He always wanted to be a Clipper. Woj said it in the past as well. The Lakers were never going to be "his team" and now he has a better chance to win in the same city with his own squad. Those Clippers vs Lakers games are going to be absolutely insane next year. 

Edited by NYRaider

I personally didn't know PG13 was available but I don't think 99% of the basketball world knew either. It came out of left field. But behind the scenes Kawhi was pushing hard to make it happen. 

That's my point.  The 5% was based on the Clippers without Paul George, yet you're here trolling because I didn't expect a PG13 trade to happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It was 100% on the Clippers or why was he putting the full court press on guys to join him there? He always wanted to be a Clipper. Woj said it in the past as well. The Lakers were never going to be "his team" and now he has a better chance to win in the same city with his own squad. Those Clippers vs Lakers games are going to be absolutely insane next year. 

He preferred the Clippers, not that it was 100% he was going to the Clippers.  You said it yourself, you don't think he was going to the Clippers without another star.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

That's my point.  The 5% was based on the Clippers without Paul George, yet you're here trolling because I didn't expect a PG13 trade to happen.

I’m not trolling. But based on reports it’s pretty obvious he was using the Lakers potential dynasty as leverage for the Clippers to make a move. Luckily for him Presti is spineless and gave in. It’s funny that when Kawhi did it for the Clippers it was strong recruiting. But when AD forced his way to the Lakers everyone was talking crap. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He preferred the Clippers, not that it was 100% he was going to the Clippers.  You said it yourself, you don't think he was going to the Clippers without another star.

I just can’t believe people don’t see an issue with Presti essentially giving PG to the Clippers for free in a rushed fashion to help them build a super team. If it was the Lakers everyone would’ve been big mad.

I’m not trolling. But based on reports it’s pretty obvious he was using the Lakers potential dynasty as leverage for the Clippers to make a move. Luckily for him Presti is spineless and gave in. It’s funny that when Kawhi did it for the Clippers it was strong recruiting. But when AD forced his way to the Lakers everyone was talking crap. 

So you're somehow holding it against me that I didn't think Kawhi would go to the Clippers alone?  LeBron got "blasted" for creating the Anthony Davis situation, but Kawhi is getting praised for it?  That's a double-standard by ESPN.

• Like 1

I just can’t believe people don’t see an issue with Presti essentially giving PG to the Clippers for free in a rushed fashion to help them build a super team. If it was the Lakers everyone would’ve been big mad.

It wasn't free first off.  There's a TON of risk, very similar to the Anthony Davis deal.  Secondly, do you think there was a better deal available for Paul George?

Just now, CWood21 said:

So you're somehow holding it against me that I didn't think Kawhi would go to the Clippers alone?  LeBron got "blasted" for creating the Anthony Davis situation, but Kawhi is getting praised for it?  That's a double-standard by ESPN.

Nah that was the reality of the situation. I personally think it was always the Clippers or Raptors though. And definitely but there’s just a league wide hate for the Lakers. Even on here people are praising the move and saying it was a good haul if the Lakers gave up Kuzma and 4 1sts for him everyone would say it was the weakest move in NBA history. Lol

It wasn't free first off.  There's a TON of risk, very similar to the Anthony Davis deal.  Secondly, do you think there was a better deal available for Paul George?

SGA and 4 future late first round picks isn’t a huge risk IMO. And I’m not sure but they also didn’t have to rush into anything. They had him under contract for 2 more years and could’ve fielded offers for him all year.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Nah that was the reality of the situation. I personally think it was always the Clippers or Raptors though. And definitely but there’s just a league wide hate for the Lakers. Even on here people are praising the move and saying it was a good haul if the Lakers gave up Kuzma and 4 1sts for him everyone would say it was the weakest move in NBA history. Lol

Yet I believe it was the Woj tweet that made it sound like it was the Lakers unless the Clippers got Paul George.  And I get the league-wide hate.  It is what it is.

Yet I believe it was the Woj tweet that made it sound like it was the Lakers unless the Clippers got Paul George.  And I get the league-wide hate.  It is what it is.

Lakers were definitely the choice if not Clippers but after the reports that came out it seemed clear it was the Clippers and kawhi knew it already pre July 1st

Just now, SBLIII said:

Lakers were definitely the choice if not Clippers but after the reports that came out it seemed clear it was the Clippers and kawhi knew it already pre July 1st

Woj reported months ago that Kawhi was focused on the Clippers. The fact that he was putting the full court press on finding someone to come with him confirmed that.