Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

Small tidbit that could either be spot on or just overthinking, but yesterday was Canada Day. No announcement was made. Which makes me question, if he was going to resign with Toronto...wouldn't you do it on Canada Day and start of FA? Too good of a PR move to pass up. Conversely, if you're going to leave, you do NOT do it on Canada day lol 

Ipso Facto, by deductive reasoning, i declare Kawahi Leonard a Los Angeles Laker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Small tidbit that could either be spot on or just overthinking, but yesterday was Canada Day. No announcement was made. Which makes me question, if he was going to resign with Toronto...wouldn't you do it on Canada Day and start of FA? Too good of a PR move to pass up. Conversely, if you're going to leave, you do NOT do it on Canada day lol 

Ipso Facto, by deductive reasoning, i declare Kawahi Leonard a Los Angeles Laker. 

tbh it would be just as sweet to me if he were to announce he's staying in Toronto on July 4th 

Edited by JBURGE

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

There was a rumor that Kawhi wouldn't decide to leave Toronto on Canada Day.  Not saying that's the reason, but it's a possibility.  I believe Kawhi is meeting with Toronto today.

There is an interesting article on Forbes about the financial impact on staying in Toronto. (TLDNR: Canadian Taxes suck)

Not going to link it but you can just Google Kawhi and it should be a recent article.

Toronto might be the only place in the NBA that makes choosing California for tax reasons a thing.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

There is an interesting article on Forbes about the financial impact on staying in Toronto. (TLDNR: Canadian Taxes suck)

Not going to link it but you can just Google Kawhi and it should be a recent article.

Toronto might be the only place in the NBA that makes choosing California for tax reasons a thing.

https://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/taxes/why-canadas-high-tax-rates-could-be-a-non-factor-in-kawhis-stay-or-go-decision-jamie-golombek

If this article is to be believed, not a significant difference for Leonard whether he lives in Canada or CA (tax wise). Think the decision ultimately comes down to where he believes he can win more championships and whether his experience in Toronto was enough to sway him from the appeal of playing close to his hometown.

Free-agent guard Danny Green will be signing a two-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, he announced on his Instagram account late Friday night. The deal is worth $30 million, a league source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Lakers also agreed to re-sign shooting guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to a two-year, $16 million deal and center JaVale McGee to a two-year, $8.2 million deal with a player option.

Edited by Leader

4 hours ago, kempus said:

Green and McGee both make sense. KCP is terrible at that amount. He does nothing. Cousins must be an option. As well as likely buy out players Bradley, Korver and Iggy.

Ahh Bradley, Korver and Iggy would be great role players for the Lakers. Green & McGee are good depth.