Bucs @ Dolphins and Hurricane Irma -Moved to Week 11

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Should've just moved it to Atlanta... close travel for Florida fans that still want to head to the game as well as doesn't screw over the Bucs and Dolphins with needing to play 16 straight games.

I figured they could move it to St. Louis or San Diego.  A city where you have a football stadium currently in disuse due to a team recently vacating. 

2 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Man, I thought the Dolphins and Bucs would be wildcard contenders, but playing 16 straight games?  The NFL just sabotaged both teams.  :(

Every successful team has to overcome a lot of adversity during the course of a season, its part of the deal and it separates the wheat from the chaff. If they can't overcome this hurdle, then they aren't worth of a playoff spot. Some teams use it as a rallying cry: Us against THEM.

Others fold their tent and go home early

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Making them play 16 straight and travel to London?

I agree that's a terrible situation and the Dolphins were already traveling the 4th most in the NFL. What's the travel difference between London and Seattle for Dolphins.

30 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

NFL should cancel the Dolphin's trip to London.

Excellent point. 

No doubt the league will spin this as showing that a London franchise is logistically viable.

It's sad that the league has chosen profits over player safety. There's no reason why this game couldn't have been played at a neutral location.

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Every successful team has to overcome a lot of adversity during the course of a season, its part of the deal and it separates the wheat from the chaff. If they can't overcome this hurdle, then they aren't worth of a playoff spot. Some teams use it as a rallying cry: Us against THEM.

Others fold their tent and go home early

There's a difference between the adversity every team has to face and being put at a competitive disadvantage before a game has even been played.

Let's be honest, this came down to not wanting to cost MIA team $ by going to a neutral site and losing the home opener revenue.   The 31 other owners weren't willing to make up any lost revenue to him.    The players from both teams wanted a neutral site to play week 1.   Tampa didn't care, it wasn't their home game.

So in the end $ just took more priority over patient safety and competitive balance.   That's fine, let's just call it what it is, Donald Ross.

Just now, Broncofan said:

LOL Stephen Ross.   My golf-related mistake.

Gotcha. I *kinda sorta* get not wanting to lose 1/7th of your stadium revenue for the year, because the Dolphins only had 7 home game to begin with. But..

There should be some sort of emergency mechanism in place where the other 31 billionaires chip in to cover the lost revenue due to an unavoidable natural disaster. They already share the NFL revenue equally. How about an insurance policy?

Point being there were clear and abundant options for this game to happen week 1. Would it have benefitted the owners financially? No. Would it have benefitted the 126 players and their coaching staff, not to mention the on-field product? Immensely.

4 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Gotcha. I *kinda sorta* get not wanting to lose 1/7th of your stadium revenue for the year, because the Dolphins only had 7 home game to begin with. But..

There should be some sort of emergency mechanism in place where the other 31 billionaires chip in to cover the lost revenue due to an unavoidable natural disaster. They already share the NFL revenue equally. How about an insurance policy?

Point being there were clear and abundant options for this game to happen week 1. Would it have benefitted the owners financially? No. Would it have benefitted the 126 players and their coaching staff, not to mention the on-field product? Immensely.

Yeah, that's my original point lost in the name mistake.   The league benefits by having more competitive balance with 2 teams with legit playoff shots not having to play 16 games in 16 weeks (and yes 1 game in UK for MIA, that's a 5 hour time zone difference, not 3 hours, might as well use Hawaii rather than SEA as the better comp).   Player safety is preserved.   And it's what the players all want. 

But one owner loses a lot of $ - but if it were spread over the league, it would be 1/31 of that loss.  But, hey, not MY problem is the answer for the 31 other guys - so nope, no solution that's actually good for the league as a whole.   Because of $.   Let's just be honest about what drove this decision, people.

Archived