Is Individual Player Defense Overrated?

the lone star

Is Individual Player Defense Overrated?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is Individual Player Defense Overrated?

Yes and no. If a player is a solid team defender in a solid system, then yes it is. If a guy is getting put into 1 on 1 and constantly getting burned then it’s not. 

Theres a lot to defense that the casual fan never sees and a lot has to do with system. A guy can appear to get beat 1 on 1 repeatedly and yet it could be someone else isn’t helping the way the system is designed. 

Honestly offensive players have gotten so good that lock down 1 on 1 defense is quickly fading but there are still a handful of guys that do it at a high level. 

The pace and space of the modern game make it nearly impossible for a player to put in the effort to play great individual defense for 82 games unless they are basically catch and shoot players who take off on offense. 

Where defense matters most is in the clutch. Offense can carry a team if it can lock down in the 4th. 

TEAM defense >>> Individual defense.

When someone tells me Player A is a better defender than Player B, I might agree, but honestly, that usually doesn't sway me a whole lot.

If the guy is such a good defender that he makes the entire TEAM better defensively, then that DOES matter to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand these arguments. A great individual Defender may still be a good team Defender as well it's not necessarily one or the other. Besides a great individual Defender is still only one fifth of the team, the same way a great scorer doesn't necessarily make the team a great scoring team it requires the entire team. Kind of like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion

Edited by resilient part 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My opinion. If you are great (like legit 1st team all defense, not necessarily what is voted that way) or horrible that is hugely consequential.

Any where in the middle of those isn't particularly relevant as team defense will have far more impact making it more or less negligible in effect.