TNF: Chiefs vs. Patriots (Opening Day!!!)

TheVillain112

Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Patriots
    • Chiefs

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

But that's not what I meant. What's trivial and ridiculous is the fact that you picked a couple of comments, took offense and got so emotional about it that you are now acting as if everyone was saying this.  Which is not the case at all.

What hasn't been the case at all is your characterization of anything I've said.  I didn't take offense to the claim the Edelman was a nobody 7th rounder that Brady made, I thought it was a silly uneducated argument.  I didn't get emotional about it either, lol.  Nor did I ever say everyone was saying this. 

Next time you might want to try reading what's actually written, instead of what isn't.

25 minutes ago, Revel8 said:

What hasn't been the case at all is your characterization of anything I've said.  I didn't take offense to the claim the Edelman was a nobody 7th rounder that Brady made, I thought it was a silly uneducated argument.  I didn't get emotional about it either, lol.  Nor did I ever say everyone was saying this. 

Next time you might want to try reading what's actually written, instead of what isn't.

You generalized an entire fan base because you supposedly read a couple of comments from two different sites, then it bring here (for whatever reason) and continued to state that it was a "recurrent theme" which is absolutely false. That sounds like someone getting emotional to me. Either that or your just trying to create an issue where there isn't one. 

36 minutes ago, Revel8 said:

No it was definitely recurrent.  I ran into it and had to debunk it several times.  Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but it's a recurrent talking point that Brady makes his receivers. 

Jabar Gaffney on Tom brady
 “My whole life,” says Jabar Gaffney, who played in New England from 2006 through ’08 and caught 70 passes from Brady, “people are going to ask me, What was it like to play with Tom? It was everything—that’s what it was like.” He is the quarterback who made them better than their dreams, who made ordinary athletes good and good athletes wealthy.

“He made me way better than I was,” says Welker, who caught 632 passes from Brady between ’07 and ’12, more than any other receiver in Brady’s career. He is the most memorable connection in most of their lives.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/17/tom-brady-receivers-brotherhood-patriots-michigan

11 minutes ago, ztoa said:

Jabar Gaffney on Tom brady
 “My whole life,” says Jabar Gaffney, who played in New England from 2006 through ’08 and caught 70 passes from Brady, “people are going to ask me, What was it like to play with Tom? It was everything—that’s what it was like.” He is the quarterback who made them better than their dreams, who made ordinary athletes good and good athletes wealthy.

“He made me way better than I was,” says Welker, who caught 632 passes from Brady between ’07 and ’12, more than any other receiver in Brady’s career. He is the most memorable connection in most of their lives.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/17/tom-brady-receivers-brotherhood-patriots-michigan

Yeah no. I'm sure Tom Brady's a great dude and all. But he's not the most memorable connection in Welker's life. 

So @Revel8 I'm guessing what you are trying to infer is that Belichick is putting people on the IR that don't need to be, and using/not using them in accordance with what they are listed as (Probable, Questionable, Doubtful).

Here are the percentages for players that played in games and were on the IR (Within division and notable opponents)

Injury Report Statistics since 2009 (Pro-Football Reference stops at 2009)

PATRIOTS

Probable - 92.9%

Questionable - 63.3%

Doubtful - 9.8%

BILLS

Probable - 88.59%

Questionable - 62.3%

Doubtful - 25%

JETS

Probable - 94.2%

Questionable - 71.7%

Doubtful - 10.4%

DOLPHINS

Probable - 91.8%

Questionable - 65.5%

Doubtful - 5.6%

BRONCOS

Probable - 91.2%

Questionable - 59.2%

Doubtful - 11.9%

STEELERS

Probable - 90%

Questionable - 49.1%

Doubtful - 10%

RAVENS

Probable - 87.3%

Questionable - 64.6%

Doubtful - 36.1%

COLTS

Probable - 89.2%

Questionable - 52.5%

Doubtful - 19.9%

SEAHAWKS

Probable - 92.7%

Questionable - 50.5%

Doubtful - 8.3%

PACKERS

Probable - 89.6%

Questionable - 59.9%

Doubtful - 14.9%

GIANTS

Probable - 87.3%

Questionable - 55.7%

Doubtful - 20.7%

AVERAGE % vs PATRIOT %

Probable - 90.2% / 92.9%

Questionable - 59.1% / 63.3%

Doubtful - 16.3% / 9.8%

34 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Yeah no. I'm sure Tom Brady's a great dude and all. But he's not the most memorable connection in Welker's life. 

Tom Brady has actually adopted all of his wide receivers....he is now the proud father of 127.5 men

9 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

So @Revel8 I'm guessing what you are trying to infer is that Belichick is putting people on the IR that don't need to be, and using/not using them in accordance with what they are listed as (Probable, Questionable, Doubtful).

Here are the percentages for players that played in games and were on the IR (Within division and notable opponents)

Injury Report Statistics since 2009 (Pro-Football Reference stops at 2009)

AVERAGE % vs PATRIOT %

Probable - 90.2% / 92.9%

Questionable - 59.1% / 63.3%

Doubtful - 16.3% / 9.8%

Do you have a link, by chance? Or is the implication that you did that math yourself? I know PFR tracks injury reports, I wasn't aware of this kind of statistic across years, though.

Not doubting, it's just interesting data and I'd like to look at it.

It would also be interesting to look at volume, though. Number of reported injuries for New England vs. average. If the Pats reported a player as probable 200 times in a season, and 180 times they played, that would be the same percentage as if the Bills reported players as "probable" 50 times and they played 45 times.

Either way, interesting data. I appreciate you posting it.

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Do you have a link, by chance? Or is the implication that you did that math yourself? I know PFR tracks injury reports, I wasn't aware of this kind of statistic across years, though.

Not doubting, it's just interesting data and I'd like to look at it.

It would also be interesting to look at volume, though. Number of reported injuries for New England vs. average. If the Pats reported a player as probable 200 times in a season, and 180 times they played, that would be the same percentage as if the Bills reported players as "probable" 50 times and they played 45 times.

Either way, interesting data. I appreciate you posting it.

I used Pro-Football reference.

Here is the link for the Pats 2009 season: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/2009_injuries.htm

At the bottom of the page there is a table that lists the percentages for each category for that season. I just went through and took the average of each for each team from 2009-2016 seasons.

I'm putting together volume numbers in a little bit, need to actually get some work done at my job first. 

Didn't have enough time to break it down further, but here are the overall totals for each team, as well as per season, and per game basis.

PATRIOTS

Total - 1544

Per Season - 199

Per Game - 11

JETS

Total - 1485

Per Season - 202

Per Game - 12

BILLS

Total - 797

Per Season - 114

Per Game - 7

DOLPHINS

Total - 934

Per Season - 130

Per Game - 8

STEELERS

Total - 755

Per Season - 100

Per Game - 6

RAVENS

Total - 997

Per Season - 132

Per Game - 8

COLTS

Total - 1136

Per Season - 150

Per Game - 9

BRONCOS

Total - 1043

Per Season - 141

Per Game - 8

SEAHAWKS

Total - 861

Per Season - 113

Per Game - 6

GIANTS

Total - 896

Per Season - 117

Per Game - 7

PACKERS

Total - 1141

Per Season - 150

Per Game - 8

Off the top of my head from glancing at the numbers while getting the totals, the Patriots definitely have the most Questionable listings, and are in the middle of the pack with Probable and Doubtful listings.

Obviously I didn't go back and look at each teams season to see if they were plagued by injuries or not for each year, which would add context to each number.

In looking at the % splits among Patriots and other teams, as well as this, I don't see an obvious advantage to be gained or any type of obvious cheating on the Pats part considering they play their IR guys at practically the same rate as everyone else, and looking over an entire 8 seasons worth of listings, I think the sample size is large enough for % played to be the best factor.

i know people are like "the pats win the sb when they lose the first game", etc, but they looked really bad thurs night, and not in a opening night jitters kind of way

i'm not one to say that they're gonna be a bad team, but it looks like they're going to have a very long year.

46 minutes ago, tab said:

i know people are like "the pats win the sb when they lose the first game", etc, but they looked really bad thurs night, and not in a opening night jitters kind of way

i'm not one to say that they're gonna be a bad team, but it looks like they're going to have a very long year.

This isn't the first time the Pats have looked bad

2 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

This isn't the first time the Pats have looked bad

i know, but i also know what the pats schedule is- lots of away games and a lot of good teams

if that O line doesnt hold, it will be a very long year

Archived