Packers Cuts Thread

Packerraymond

Just now, Chili said:

No he's not. He is out for the entire season without any designation to recall him back.

This is an EQ bummer. I have hopes he's gonna make plays for this team and wanted him to come back this year.
You wanted him cut outright - so glad you missed on that one.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is an EQ bummer. I have hopes he's gonna make plays for this team and wanted him to come back this year.
You wanted him cut outright - so glad you missed on that one.

I don't think I said I wanted him cut outright. I basically said he was on the bubble and a potential cut candidate and everyone laughed at me for even considering it.

I wanted him directly IR anyway.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

Okay so you can push guys straight to IR? I thought we stopped that to prevent stashing?

In the past, prior to the final cutdown date, injured players with less than four years of service could not go onto IR without first passing through waivers. A 2018 NFL By-Laws change has made it no longer necessary to place non-vested veterans on Injury-Waivers before placing them on IR. In the past, the need for Injury Waivers caused teams to risk losing the player to a waiver claim and on occasion some teams took advantage of this to poach players. As such, teams would often continue to carry the player on the 90-man roster until the final cutdown in order to not risk losing the player. The new By-Law solves this issue and non-vested veterans can now go directly onto IR without having to first pass through Waivers.

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/waiver-rules/

Just now, Chili said:

I don't think I said I wanted him cut outright. I wanted him directly IR.

Prior to the IR possibility you wanted him gone. We chatted about it fairly often.

Post the IR possibility I wanted him to come back this year - or - or if the injury would have healed quickly enough kept on the 53 from the get go. I recognize the move allows the team to finagle the roster a bit at this point - just disappointed EQ will be down for the entire year.

It is what it is. Appears things will have to carry over to next year for EQ.

2 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

In the past, prior to the final cutdown date, injured players with less than four years of service could not go onto IR without first passing through waivers. A 2018 NFL By-Laws change has made it no longer necessary to place non-vested veterans on Injury-Waivers before placing them on IR. In the past, the need for Injury Waivers caused teams to risk losing the player to a waiver claim and on occasion some teams took advantage of this to poach players. As such, teams would often continue to carry the player on the 90-man roster until the final cutdown in order to not risk losing the player. The new By-Law solves this issue and non-vested veterans can now go directly onto IR without having to first pass through Waivers.

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/waiver-rules/

If we can do this for EQ then why did we not do this for Curtis Bolton?

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

No he's not. He is out for the entire season without any designation to recall him back.

Edit: He has to be on the final 53 and THEN he can be placed on IR in order to be able to recall him back later in the season. It doesn't appear we done this.

Looks like you are correct. Ouch, what a waste, all because of a cheap shot in a preseason game. He didn't look as good as Kumerow or Davis in the preseason, but he may have been the #4 WR anyway, and he was definitely going to get some playing time. 

Ryan Wood: On the Justin McCray trade, the Packers swapped seventh-round picks with the Cleveland Browns for 2020, per source. So they will get whichever seventh-round pick is earlier. Better to get that than nothing, if they were going to release him.