The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Are there any quality evaluators still out there that aren't employed by MLB teams?

Yes.

BP prospect team is strong and deep. Karaman is basically the caliber of a high level MLB scout and Paternostro and Seidler are good and basically the new Parks. They rely a lot on their own evaluations and those of the like a dozen people below them, half or more of which will probably be employed be teams soon. 

Collazo and Perline do good work at BA on the draft side and Badler on the international side, although Perline is only an intern. Longenhagen does a quality job at FG. 

BA, unlike BP but like a lot of the other outlets, rely more on industry consensus and what scouts tell than personal evals since they don't have a ton of them (big tournaments/events and local North Carolina games aside). That formula means that Manuel leaving won't affect all that much on the evaluations but it means that in general the public is sometimes receiving second-hand skewed data. Can't always promise that teams are always providing truthful opinions, whether it's BA, FG, ESPN, MLB, whoever. 

In general, BP is currently stronger than it normally is while BA is weaker. 

Edited by NewAge

On 10/17/2017 at 2:47 PM, devils1854 said:

Braves AFL Stats

Max Fried
8 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 11 K, 0 R
Touki Toussaint
4 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 0 R
Ronald Acuna
.294/.429/.294, 4 K, 3 BB
Alex Jackson
.250/.333/.438, 1 HR, 2 K, 2 BB
Austin Riley
.250/.308/.500, 1 HR, 5 K. 0 BB

Max Fried
13 IP, 6 H, 4 BB, 18 K, 1 ER

Alex Jackson
.364/.417/.788, 4 HR, 2 2B, 7 K, 3 BB

Austin Riley
.294/.333/.529, 1 HR, 1 2B, 6 K, 0 BB

Ronald Acuna
.281/.385/.428, 1 HR, 2 2B, 9 K, 5 BB

On 10/18/2017 at 10:21 AM, THE DUKE said:

Eh, I thought John Manuel wasn't nearly as good as the previous couple of managing editors at BA.  If BA is smart, they'll give JJ Cooper the reigns.  Either him or Ben Badler.

I think Badler is much better than Cooper. 

Might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure Cooper is mostly/completely a reporter/journalist. Don't believe he does any actual scouting. 

12 hours ago, NewAge said:

I think Badler is much better than Cooper. 

Might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure Cooper is mostly/completely a reporter/journalist. Don't believe he does any actual scouting. 

Cooper isn't a scout, and he'd tell you that.  I think he would be far better than Manuel was at running BA though.  The managing editor doesn't need to be an ace scout, it needs to be someone who listens to the right people and manages the business of BA.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Cooper isn't a scout, and he'd tell you that.  I think he would be far better than Manuel was at running BA though.  The managing editor doesn't need to be an ace scout, it needs to be someone who listens to the right people and manages the business of BA.

Fair enough. 

21 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Max Fried
13 IP, 6 H, 4 BB, 18 K, 1 ER

Alex Jackson
.364/.417/.788, 4 HR, 2 2B, 7 K, 3 BB

Austin Riley
.294/.333/.529, 1 HR, 1 2B, 6 K, 0 BB

Ronald Acuna
.281/.385/.428, 1 HR, 2 2B, 9 K, 5 BB

man , seattle gave up on jackson way too quick. was that a dipoto move?